1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's Good in Austin, TX?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by ChuckThat, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ChuckThat

ChuckThat Disciple (60) Virginia Mar 26, 2011

I'm gonna be in Austin this coming week. Where do I have to go to get some great beer in the Downtown Area?

I'm coming from Virginia and I'd be open for trades. What's your fancy?

Chuck

2. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

You should check out 512 brewing co. And live oak brew co. You should be able to find something there that suits your fancy.

3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Independence Stash IPA and Convict Hill Stout are great. 512 is my favorite Austin brewer. Check out Whip-In for a great tap selection of local beers.

4. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Ginger Man for tap(if you only make it to one place, go here)
    Whip in for tap/bottles bar is usually crowded though not far from downtown
    Whole foods for bottles/ just a few taps
    Lovejoys for tap (I'm ashamed to say I've never been)

More options if you want to go little outside of downtown

5. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

You can catch the 3 bus from downtown to get to Uncle Billy's (southbound), Draught House (northbound), or, if you don't mind a pretty long ride, NXNW (northbound). The 1L/1M bus will get you to the Flying Saucer or Black Star Coop (both northbound). If you're out too late, you may have to get a cab back.

Draught House is, for me, the best place to get draught beer in Austin.

air likes this.
  6. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You can actually get to Black Star via the train from downtown (Crestview Station), but check the hours with CAP Metro. The Brew Exchange just opened, and has 72 beers on tap, plus hundreds of bottles, and is right on West 6th street (concept place - price of beer goes up or down depending on how popular it is on a given night, like the stock exchange).

Of course Ginger Man is downtown. My personal favs are Flying Saucer and Draught House, a stone's throw of each other north of downtown in "The Triangle". If you'll be around on Saturday, Independence has "first Saturday" at the brewery - free samples, or buy a glass ($6) and get 3 fills included. Austin Beerworks also has an open house every Friday, but you need to get tickets via their Facebook page on Mondays starting at 4.

Let me know if you have any other ?'s