1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's Good in Quebec City?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mmapes, Feb 18, 2013.

1. mmapes

mmapes Aficionado (215) Colorado Nov 12, 2010

We are coming to QC this summer (early July). Would love to know what sorts of brasseries and bottle shops we should look for.

We are coming from Colorado, USA, where we have lots of excellent breweries. Would be willing to bring some trades, too, if you live there.

Nous parlons un peu de Francais et aprendons plus, tous les jours... but we're better at English.
  2. If you are planning to pass through Montreal, I'd be happy to make some sort of IP trade. Just let me know what sort of styles you like by PM, and I'll pick up some stuff for you. There are a few threads in this forum about Quebec City if you need to know about that specifically.
    BlogueDeBieres likes this.
  3. mmapes

Thanks, ricochet173. Afraid I don't know my acronyms (IP and PM). We are going to try to get to Montreal but aren't sure yet whether we'll make it. If we do, I'll look you up.
  4. Haha no problem, IP = "In Person" and PM = "Private Message"! But yes, that's great, hope to see you!
  5. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

A good brewery that nobody talks about is Brasseurs Illimités. Their Simple Malt line is fantastic. Perhaps my favorite Quebec craft brewery that bottles. They are relatively large (which may explain why nobody talks about them), so you should be able to find their stuff at any decent bottle shop. When I was in Quebec City, the grocery store around the corner even had 6 of their beers.

Have fun! Quebec is lovely province.

Jeff
  6. Was in Quebec City in January. I used the Beer Places (BeerFly) link to scout out potential places. We were in the city so stayed local with visits to La Barberie, Pub St. Patrick, Pub Alexander (you can skip the pubs unless you are in the old city and looking for beer, as the St. Patrick beer is only so-so and Alexander is expensive and the draught list is not that great, all the bottle list is fairly big with a lot of Belgians - not sure what the stock is like though), Bateau De Nuit (good selection, but not upscale in anyway, very student friendly - note the address as there is no sign, just a door, stairs and a curtain), Restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens (not sure why it is on here, we had dinner here and while it was good (and expensive) the beer list was so lacking I had a glass of wine (which I drink about twice a year), La Ninkasi Du Faubourg (most modern decor of the bunch, lots of Unibroue on tap, a cask, but still a bar, don't go for the food). Korrigan Brewpub is downtown but was closed for holidays when we were there. If you have a vehicle, there are a couple of breweries outside the city including L'Ile D'Orleans. If you can drive a little longer, you have to head to Charlevoix for the cheese and to visit the brewery. Also in the city, try L'Affaire Est Ketchup (http://laffaireestketchup.net/) - really neat restaurant with two sittings (make a reservation) per night, no draught but they do have some Illimites and Charlevoix bottles. It is small, it is basically two rooms with one room containing about 7 tables and the other a bar, maybe 3 tables and the open kitchen with the chef cooking on a home stove. Really neat food selection of Quebecois meats.
    Have FUN!!!
  7. mmapes

Thanks for all the good advice. I've marked the hot spots on my map.
  8. I will say that you have to get a car... since the breweries are all outside the city. If not, let me know, I'll drive you around! :)

You then can drive to l'Archibald. They make good german beers. Nothing out of this world, but solid beers.

Don't miss l'Ile d'Orleans. The restaurant of the brewery is called Pub Le Mitan (the brewery is Microbrasserie d'Orleans) and it has pretty decent beers. There is another brewery that open last summer on the Island, but don't go to that new one... it wasn't worth it. Just drive and drive and go to Pub Le Mitan at Ste-Famille (not sure of the city name) on Ile d'Orleans.

Unfortunately, we don't have something similar to Dieu du Ciel but Microbrasserie des Beaux-Prés is getting a lot of attention. I tried one of their Porter, and it was pretty awesome.

For bottle shop, I strongly suggest La Duchesse d'Aiguillon. Pretty neat place in the old city. They usually have loads of stuff.

Let me know if you need more information, I'm living there. :)

Cheers,
    Eric
  9. mmapes

Bon jour, Eric. I think I missed your reply back in February. We may head to ile d'orleans today. We'll be in town another week, if you'd like to meet for a drink some day. We'll be in QC most days for the music.
  10. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

Luc the brewer and owner was one of the founders of Dieu du Ciel. He left a couple years ago to set up his own brewpub.
  11. This week, there is not much free time :( however, I have plans on going at micro des beaux-prés this coming Thursday evening. Could be there. Let me know.

Cheers.
  12. mmapes

We looked at Des Beaux-Prés, and it looks nice. What are your plans? Should we join you? What time would you go (early enough to appreciate the terrace?). I'll send you my regular e-mail address.