1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's good in Tucson, AZ?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Birdlegs, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Birdlegs

Birdlegs Savant (255) Washington Jul 1, 2011

I'll be in Tucson next week for a few days and wanted to know what to look for while down there. Any suggestions?

2. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

EyePeeAyBryan and yemenmocha like this.
  3. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Couldn't agree more. Hope you like pizza, OP.

Only other stop for me is often Plaza Liquors and occasionally the old Nimbus location by the AFB in the warehouse area. Call me a wimp but I only do the latter one in the daytime. :oops:

4. aandresen

aandresen Aficionado (230) Arizona Sep 21, 2009

Come on Tucson peeps. I hate tucson and know that Baggins and El Coral (eat the salad, love the dressing) are excellent. That said, I make the wife take me to 1702 anytime I get close to the void as I call it.

5. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

1702 of course which is one of the best bars in America, but don't miss Dragoon Brewery with their limited hours and awesome beers. Borderlands had their re-opening last night, all new equipment and they have been brewing up some great stuff for months. If you are in town through Feb 2, a new nano 1055 is having their Grand Opening party.

yemenmocha likes this.
  6. yemenmocha

Can't believe forgot about Dragoons. I love their stout. WF here has it and it's often my first choice for a session there.

7. RockAZ

Their Quad has raised some eyebrows around here as well as their IPA winning some local contests. And they have some awesome porters coming up, some with barrel aging.

yemenmocha likes this.
  8. luwak

Yeah i'll second that the Dragoon Quad is a very solid beer.
    And i'd dig the chance to go to Borderlands.

9. Birdlegs

Thanks for the suggestions. 1772 and Plaza Liquors are relatively close to where I'm staying so that should work out well. Not sure if I'll be able to swing by Dragoon.
    I hail from WA and we get a heavy circulation from CA,OR,WA and CO but I can't remember the last time I saw anything from the SW except for maybe Shiner... So, what excellent examples of SW regional bottled brews would you recommend?

10. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

If you are looking for local. One of my favorite local brews is Four Peaks Kilt Lifter. Also can't go wrong with selections from San Tan Brewery either. Although San Tan mainly package in cans. Both are located in the Phoenix area but are available in any good store. Usually even any of our grocery stores. Larger selection at a good liquor store of course.

11. yemenmocha

if you must drink Southwest, I recommend Marble Brewing from New Mexico. Their IPA is quite good.

[​IMG]

Surprising to some, but Utah has some decent breweries now especially from EPIC brewing. They're normal strength beers too. Their Hopulent is fairly good.

Look at the Belgian imports we have since we seem to have some that other states lack for some reason. In my opinion the strong point of Arizona is great distribution from elsewhere.

AnotherImperial likes this.
  12. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I would go to Dragoon if you get the chance. 1702 is a must and Plaza is the best bottle shop as others have indicated. As far as picking up some local stuff to take with you, there isn't much and Dragoon does not bottle. You might still be able to find some Bells Hopslam as it just arrived last week. Yemenmocha mentioned Epic and I would definitely suggest the Big Bad Baptist from them as well.

yemenmocha likes this.
  13. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

14. Birdlegs

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm starting to wish I'd scheduled for more time in Tucson with all of your recommendations.
    I've an excellent selection of beer shops, and breweries, at my disposal but they don't carry anything from your area. With my limited time I wanted to make sure that I sampled what was good and avoid the eh. Unfortunately, traveling with the family isn't conducive with brewery hopping.

15. RockAZ

Then make your trip to 1702 be the one that counts, then if they don't have any bottles to go that you want, just around the corner is Plaza for your shopping pleasure.

yemenmocha likes this.
  16. luwak

Bottle/canned from the SW that you can find on AZ shelves and that is really easy to recommend:

Of course we get great stuff from CO, CA etc etc....
    But these are Utah and Arizona:

SANTA FE:
    Imperial Java Stout (cans)
    Kickin’ Chicken
    State Pen Porter

SONORAN:
    Inebriator
    7 Wives Saison
    Chef’s Series FFF
    Sonoran 200
    Beer for Brains Rhubarb Porter

PAPAGO:
    Oude Zuipers

LUMBERYARD:
    Fireside Ale
    Big Rapid Red
    Inner Basin Barleywine

NIMBUS:
    Old MonkeyShine

UTAH BREWERS COLLECTIVE:
    Wasatch Polygamy Porter,
    Wasatch White Label
    Squatters Hop Rising
    Squatters Outer Darkness

UINTA:
    Anniversary BarleyWine
    Oak Jacked Imperial
    Pumpkin,
    Labyrinth,
    Cockeyed Copper,
    Dubhe,
    Sea Legs

EPIC:
    Big Bad Baptist
    Elder Brett
    Hopulent
    Utah Sage Saison
    Fermentation Without Representation
    Smoked and Oaked
    Blue Law Porter

MOGOLLON:
    Apache Trout Stout
    Waipiti

17. Birdlegs

Wish I'd brought my computer with me so I'd seen your extensive list, luwak. I wound up playing choufffeur all weekend so was only able to hit Plaza Liquors. Excellent shop! Unfortunately, the owner said his beer guy of 10 yrs went to work at a brewery and he was now trying to learn the beer side of the shop. I managed to pick up Nimbus Blonde, Brown and Oatmeal stout. I usually lean towards big and dark but I felt the Blonde was the winner in that bunch. The Four Peaks Kilt Lifter was also a tasty brew. No Big Baptist from Epic. I was told that local special releases didn't exist but I did see alot of brews that I don't get at home. I was drawn to the CO Ska Brewering for their Two-Tone'ish* labels. Buster Nut Brown and Steel Toe Milk Stout were both very nice. Thanks yet again for the recommendations, especially considering the grocery market selections I found. I'll probably be out your way again in another year, possibly two, and will definitely schedule time to hit 1772 and Dragoon.

*If you know ska music, you know Two-Tone.