1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's in the Sam Adams Spring Brews 2014?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mlager90, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mlager90

mlager90 Disciple (70) New Jersey Oct 29, 2013

hello did anyone pick the sam adams spring variety pack yet?
    does anyone know when it will be available
  2. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I think it came out in September.
  3. I saw it out on New Year's Eve here in NC. I mean damn, people.
    JohnnyMc and Ericness like this.
  4. I saw it today, and passed. There are two new offerings, one being a White Ale called "Cold Snap." I saw it in 6 packs too. The other new offering is a Kolsch, called "Escape Route," at 30 IBUs, it sounds interesting. The 4 others found in the 12 pack are: the Boston Lager, Irish Red, and the be real honest, I forgot the other two. I know the Alpine Spring was NOT one of them. It all sounded kind of average to me (at best); hence I left if sitting.
  5. socon67

socon67 Advocate (625) New York Jun 18, 2010

Spring usually has the weakest of the seasonal releases.
  6. Picked this up late last week. Included are Boston Lager (of course), Cold Snap white ale (new seasonal, replaces Alpine Spring), Escape Route kolsch (new secondary seasonal), Maple Pecan Porter, Whitewater IPA, & Irish Red.
  7. Alpine Spring is quite good. Unfortunate.
  8. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

The Maple Pecan is awesome, and so is the Irish Red. I'm also looking forward to trying the new brews. I'll definitely pick up a case once it hits Pittsburgh.
    Tidesox28 likes this.
  9. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I don't know why, but these jokes never get old.
    NonicPanic, tarawho, denver10 and 3 others like this.
  10. It never gets old because that truthfully is actually closer to when it actually was made that the spring time haha. Not literally, but I know my wholesaler who carries Sam in our area had Cold Snap in a few weeks before Christmas. crazy right?!
    Jsteez likes this.
  11. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

Looks like a better lineup then the winter pack which I skipped. I'll buy it nce it goes on sale. Can't wait to try 5 new beers, although I have mixed feeling about apline spring that beer was different.
    Tidesox28 likes this.
  12. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

The sad thing is, in a few years, they may actually get so far ahead of their releases that they'll actually release them on time.
    JohnnyMc, Jsteez and nicholasofcusa like this.
  13. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Savant (405) Ohio Mar 19, 2011

Bummer that they discontinued Alpine Spring. That was my favorite Sam Adams beer and you don't see too many widely available keller biers.
  14. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Well, they'll be released in the right season. But I could see 2018's summer pack dropping in summer 2017. And the way consumers are getting about freshness, the best before date will precede the bottling date.
    jkn09, tarawho, JohnnyMc and 2 others like this.
  15. This made me laugh out loud. Then I couldn't stop laughing.
    Jsteez likes this.
  16. Jsteez

Jsteez Savant (380) China Apr 28, 2012

Ha, ha. This is funny, really. The Northeast US was just pounded with snow, and I am in Northeast China where the high temperatures are 19 degrees Fahrenheit (last time I checked this is still winter!). I will be heading back to my home state, Utah, next week and it is still very cold and snowy there. I remember when spring seasonal packages were released mid-February to late February. I think some breweries still stick to releasing their seasonal beers actually when the season hits. I am still in the mood for stouts and porters, I am not quite in the mood for Spring beer just yet.
    bushycook likes this.
  17. I'm intrigued by the maple pecan.
  18. BBAVUSO21

BBAVUSO21 Savant (315) New York Jan 25, 2013

2 degrees where im at....I dont even wanna look at a spring variety pack
    Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  19. High of 7 monday here....sam releases their spring seasonals so early because they figure most ppl will get them and when any other breweries bring them out people already have had or have the sam so theyre less inclined to buy them. While boston beer doesnt come out and say this, my wholesaler has pretty much said that is the reason why they are released so early. They are shipped the seasonals at the earliest date and told to push them. I mean hell, my wholesaler ran out of winter lager on december 22nd....exactly one day after the start of winter.
  20. Bummer that Alpine Spring has been replaced, especially that it's replaced by ....drum roll....yet another ale. :(

Interested in that Kolsch though.
    harrylee773 and ESHBG like this.
  21. I really liked Alpine Spring as well. But I've been pleasantly surprised by Cold Snap. Normally I'm not too into spiced or white ales, but this one intrigues me and I've had several.

As for the release schedule, I agree it's kind of nuts. The coldest temps in two decades, and we're expected to buy beers for spring? But that's the way it is, I guess: Sierra's Flipside is their spring seasonal - replacing the Glissade, which I loved and the situation seems analogous to Alpine Spring - and I picked up a sixer of that bottled in December. For me, the answer is simply to accept the "seasonals" as they come, buy what I like, and have whatever season-appropriate homebrew I desire on tap.
  22. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I want to try the Maple pecan porter, but I am NOT buying the rest to get 1, I guess I have to find a place that broke up a pack...
    BourbonJersey likes this.
  23. This...this is good news...that stuff was shit
    PaulyB83 likes this.
  24. The lineup sounds decent. Why do we keep getting the Boston Lager though? Give us a different beer.

I like Alpine Spring, so hopefully Cold Snap is at least as good, if not better. Maple Pecan is good, Irish Red is good, and the Kolsch sounds really interesting. I might have to get one of these at some point.
    Theyack, Ericness and azorie like this.
  25. mlager90

mlager90 Disciple (70) New Jersey Oct 29, 2013

did anyone see this in new jersey yet
  26. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

My guess is to compete with other breweries seasonals they make them available before, but a few months early is rediculous. What else would you expect from the diluted bunch at Samuel Adams.
  27. Depending on your perspective, that bunch is either half beer or half water.
  28. No insult meant at all, but you come off as the polar opposite of the"all lagers are boring" people. There is a gaping middle ground here. Can't we all just get along? ;)

I'm sick of SA pushing white ales on everyone. I can't stand it. They must be dirt cheap to make because they REALLY want this to catch on. It's obnoxious at this point. The maple pecan porter is ok, the irish red is not good imo, I'm going to pass. All that said, I was at a wedding the other day that had super fresh SABL bottles. It was as good as I ever remember that being. Surprising.
  29. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (625) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I have mixed feelings on the Alpine Spring. At first tasting I really liked it, then the lemony flavor got old to me. I always thought it was just Noble Pils with a squirt of lemon flavoring added, but now I'm back on the Noble Pils bandwagon.

Kolsch should be another easy drinker. I was really impressed with their New Albion Ale. They should stick that in one of their seasonals.
  30. JG-90

JG-90 Savant (380) New Jersey Nov 29, 2012

That's pretty interesting, especially considering all the advertising they did for Alpine Spring last year (at least in the North-East).

I too, will not be buying this variety pack. Winter is the only one I usually seek out and did not buy one this year. Missing some of the ones I liked.
  31. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

picked up 24 pack of the spring pack. cold snap, escape route, Irish red, maple pecan porter, whitewater ipa, Boston lager ofc
  32. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

-30 air temperature here in MN tonight........and for the next month probably.......they could offer Westy 12 as part of it and if it says spring i won't buy it until March :).....kind of serious here....I will say this..I won't buy any spring collection without Westy 12 until March...
  33. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (450) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Maple Pecan Porter... in six packs... that's what I want to see.
  34. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

While it may not be in the seasonal 12 pack, I'm pretty sure the Alpine Spring is still Sam Adams' spring seasonal beer, so it's still being brewed. It's still listed on the web site.
  35. I am most definitely the polar opposite of the "all lagers are boring" folks. I don't take that as an insult at all, I take it as a compliment really. I try to advocate for lagers wherever I can as I believe if people recognize how great many of them are and thus start demanding them, we'll see more on the shelves. I don't mind that ales dominate the craft landscape, but I do mind people writing off lagers entirely because of bad experiences with Bud, Miller and Coors.
    BourbonJersey, AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  36. The Sam Adams website is routinely sluggish at updating their information. Sam Adams may make some Alpine Spring to serve on tap at the brewery but Alpine Spring is no longer being commercially produced. It was replaced with Cold Snap as the new Q1 seasonal. The same thing happened to Sam Adams White Ale when it was replaced with Noble Pils years ago and Sam Adams still lists that beer on their site.
  37. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

If that's indeed true, I'll miss the Alpine Spring. I liked it better than Noble Pils because of its maltier balance.

But I thought I'd recently read that the AS would be a limited release "in-between" beer in the spring. Maybe I mistook another label.
    harrylee773 likes this.
  38. flipside is replacing tumbler, ruthless rye replaced glissade.
  39. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (450) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Was Porch Rocker in the spring or summer seasonal last year?
  40. Summer.