1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whats one country you have never tried beer from, yet would like to.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 11, 2013.

1. For me it would be Wales. The Otley brewing company looks pretty intriguing.

2. Whimpers

Whimpers Advocate (505) New York Dec 17, 2010

As an east caster, I will go ahead and say the west coast of the usa is my first big time beer destination.yes this is not another country but it might as well be as far as distribution is concerned.

3. BILF

BILF Advocate (715) Israel Jan 9, 2010

New Zealand because of the hop varieties.

hefehead12 and flexabull like this.
  4. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

You know Wales is a part of the United Kingdom? :p

5. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Still a country my friend!

TicoCali and Hoppsbabo like this.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

New Zealand.

FEUO and flexabull like this.
  7. Dennoman

Whaddya know, never knew they actually called it that :p

Welsh-wise, Tiny Rebel is definitely worth checking out. Had two of their beers and they were proper gorgeous.

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  8. Both Brains and Felinfoel were exporting their beers to the US in the 1990's (both even had beers labeled/branded simply "Welsh Ale" here). Like many UK breweries, their products are no longer as readily available (if at all) in the US.

9. 2 words for you: Tiny Rebel

Don't drink Brains or Felinfoel, unless it's Brains Craft you see.

10. "Well lush" would be the local terminology :p

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I hear the new brewery in Fasdflijasdiljasildjasijdfoaisjdasiojdiojdshire, Wales is fantastic.

Zimbo and FosterJM like this.
  12. Dennoman

Oh well, guess it's back to Dirty Sanchez re-runs for me.

13. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

Farson in Malta makes Cisk Lager, which is said to be a crappy adjunct lager.
    they also make a Milk Stout that has a good reputation. my family is from Malta, we don't have alot in the way of noteworthy contributions so it is unusual one of them would be beer. welll, and me of course.

14. Well, lush or alternatively wicked, as Goldie Lookin Chain might say (from the same town as Tiny Rebel too).

bluejacket74 likes this.
  15. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I've started seeing MOA beer pop up here, from the local Whole Foods... so it has to be around somewhere.

Australian beer is pretty underwhelming. Tooheys New is probably one of the worst beers I've ever had and Baron's Black Wattle seed ale was just straight up weird tasting.

One thing I'd like to try is Ethiopian beer. Just for sh--s and giggles.
    It does exist...
    http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list?c_id=ET&s_id=0&brewery=Y

16. Japan. After watching the original Iron Chef I'm curious to see which innards make it into the beer. ;)

17. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (475) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

I think if it were ANY country, I would go with Urwagwa from Rwanda, just to say I tried it. Beer made from fermented banana juice and sorghum flour. Sounds great!

mfnmbvp and luwak like this.
  18. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

flexabull likes this.
  19. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

trevorjk and HumanParaquat like this.
  20. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

21. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Parmistan

22. Sweden, because nobody around here carries anything from there.

23. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

This is just silly.

24. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Wait a minute...you mean wale hunters are really after UK people?

I think anywhere I could try beer at he point of origin would be dandy, but I would pick Belgium first.

25. Egypt. It was the center of the brewing world in antiquity, never had a beer made there.

LeRose likes this.
  26. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Been wanting to go to Vietnam for other reasons than beer (oh yeah, pho yeah) but just found a new reason to go. One day...

fmccormi likes this.
  27. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

It's a sweet article, and the info on local beer there was fascinating, I thought—totally different perspective on beer.

And yeah, I could go for some pho right now.

28. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

I imagine Vietnamese beer has to be better than Chinese beer, which is good for what it's good for (drinking something that's not the local water, which very well might make you sick). I'm always looking for another excuse to visit Vietnam. I'd be interested to try various northern European beers as well.

I'd also like to try some of the German, Russian, Belgian and Czech beers that aren't exported to the US. I'm not a huge Japanese beer fan, but I found some good stuff when I was there that I've never seen here, Sapporo's Yebisu brand in particular.

fmccormi likes this.
  29. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Mongolia.

Cheers!

30. Antarctica

tectactoe likes this.
  31. Come on dogfish head. Make 120 minute ICE. Brewed and ice distilled in the forgotten continent. The next Utopias!

32. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I'm sure they've thought about it but a trip out there is ridiculously expensive.

33. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Craft from France and Italy. Had their BMC shit.

Providence likes this.
  34. True derranged, but Once they expand further this will be of little consequence.

35. I had this at an Ethiopian restaurant in Boston and it is a perfectly acceptable pairing with injera.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5313/11493

36. I definitely had the Felinfoel-
    [​IMG]
    but somehow it was in cans, in my foggy memory banks. Maybe I am confusing it with the Wells IPA- I used to get them both around '99-2000. Not bad beers, especially for the price back then. I do wish I had run across Brains; I always wanted to try their dark mild.

37. dipaguy

dipaguy Aficionado (200) Florida Feb 20, 2011

I need to try that famous nuclear warhead beer from North Korea. I heard it is the bomb!!!! Sweet