1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whats one country you have never tried beer from, yet would like to.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 11, 2013.

1. wasn't pangaea supposedly brewed with antarctica water?
  2. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

Palestine. I hear their beers are the bomb.
  3. Yeah, I remember a few different canned UK ales in the US at the time, and priced quite nicely ($1.99 for 500ml.) I think my favorite was Gales HSB. I remember talking to retailer about ordering a case for me but it was no longer available (long before Gales was taken over by Fullers).
  4. As outlandish as it may sound, as an American, I don't think I've ever had a CANADIAN beer?!?! I love Canadians... Do they make any good beers?
    Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  5. Until construction begins, you'll probably have to settle for one named Antarctica.

[​IMG]
    fmccormi and Stinkypuss like this.
  6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I have no idea. Someone on this site would know though.
  7. Macedonia, because then I will have tasted a beer from the entire former Yugoslavia.
    Oh wait... screw you Montenegro, and probably Kosovo. All this noncyberbalkanizing is ruining my careful planning.

Whatever, I'll just say Latvia and go for that area instead. I mean, I've already got Estonia, Lithuania and Russia. Hopefully they don't start Balticizing or something.
  8. Interesting thread. I think the posters who selected NZ are smart. Vietnam is a great country to visit, though it's beer is all run of the mill lager (and to the poster who has judged Australian beer based on drinking a Tooheys New, I'm glad I didn't do the same thing with US beer after drinking Budweiser).
    fmccormi likes this.
  9. You spelt that wrong, it's actually

Newport.

Crazy place names in Wales I know.
  10. 4 Ynys Dawel, Solva, United Kingdom. Lived there as a kid. Went back a few years ago and visited some old haunts/pubs (of my dad's) as well as some new places (Sloop Inn in Porthgain for one). Wouldn't mind going back (to kind of answer the OP's question).
  11. Pembrokeshire is lovely, must have been a great place to grow up. Awesome beaches. Lacking in decent breweries however, unfortunately.
  12. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

After reading your post, I'm going to listen to Soap Bar and Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do right now!
    wesbray likes this.
  13. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Have had some crazy beers from Africa; funky/wild as shit...one if which was not half bad. The fact that it came in a plastic water bottle (they don't normally bottle it since it is for local consumption only) made it all that much better...
  14. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

You are in for a treat my friends. Both France and Italy are producing some solid stuff that include classic styles and their versions of american styles...hit me up if you are ever venturing to France!
    fmccormi likes this.
  15. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

If you ask me, the best beer in Vietnam is a Bia Hoi served over a chunk of ice on any busy street corner... best beer that 10 cents can buy, IMO.

[​IMG]
    fmccormi likes this.
  16. Wicked.
  17. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

18. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Next time I'm in France, I absolutely will take you up on that.
    pixieskid likes this.
  19. fmccormi

20. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (260) Brazil May 27, 2011

joaopmgoncalves and fmccormi like this.
  21. fmccormi

No, it really doesn't have many virtues :)
  22. I'd have to say either Sweden or Finland. Based on what I've tried from Norway and Denmark, it would seem there's some pretty great craft beers coming out of Scandinavia these days. Too bad they can be tough to find/are expensive for the most part.
  23. As far as I can tell, Brasserie Saint-Sylvestre from France has pretty wide distribution with 3 Monts and Gavroche, and I've seen Baladin beers from Italy in Missouri.

OP: Iceland or Sweden, mainly for Ölvisholt and Nils Oscar. And although Greenland is a part of Denmark, I'd love to try anything from Nanoq just for the novelty of it.
  24. I agree with Welsh beer as my mother is Welsh and nothing is ever exported to BC. New Zealand beer is now readily available in BC ( Epic just arrived) but I would love to see more Australian beers such as Feral in BC.
  25. falloutsnow

falloutsnow Savant (440) Illinois Oct 29, 2005

I think I'd like to try a beer from Liechtenstein, they must have at least one brewery.
  26. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Being part Hungarian I would like to try Atilla Pils from Hungary.
  27. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

28. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Okells Isle of Man UK to acknowledge my Manx heritage.
    [​IMG]
    MAbeerNE1 likes this.
  29. This one.
    Having read the BA article on them piqued my curiosity. Also, would like to try an African beer that isn't a pale lager. Some of them sound out there and good or not, always game to try something different.
  30. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

New Zealand. Hopefully from Mount Doom.
  31. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

you can't be serious...
  32. Dude, you are missing out, Brains Dark on cask is awesome and pretty much THE beer of Cardiff traditionally.
    SA Gold is pretty tasty, cascade and styrian goldings.
    I am quite happy to have Brains as the regional brewer.
  33. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

North Dakota.
  34. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

czechoslovakia... I know the good stuff is never exported. I also want to experience it with the food... the smelly cheeses and meats :p
    herrburgess likes this.
  35. I'll be in Vietnam in about a month if somebody wants to set up a trade later.

fmccormi likes this.
  36. fmccormi

Ha! That's awesome, man. Think I'll turn down a trade offer, though—from the sound of the article, part of what makes the beer interesting is how young and fresh it is, and I believe none of it's bottled. But have a good trip!
  37. I hate brains dark, it has a weird off taste from most pubs I've had it from. Acceptable from the bottle but still not as good as most milds. Could be worse like Greene king or just no ale at all though I guess.
  38. The Isle of Man is in fact not part of the UK (it isn't even in the EU!) which allows it to have its own laws .One is the Pure Beer Act of 1874 which only allows malt, hops, sugar,water and yeast to be used in brewing.