1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer event you've attended?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Casedogg43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I always get ramped up for the Spring Beer events in my area. DLD, Mayfest....

As hard as I try not to compare each one to the "One that Blew my mind", I can't seem to avoid it!

For me it was the Three Floyds 15yr Anniversary party.

Why? Well, limited group of around 3000.
    The release of Baller Stout was available on draft on many taps, so we actually got to sample a couple pints. Much different that DLD. Where the DLD is inside only (good luck with that) and the guest taps are the same as I had the night before the party.

But the best of the best was that the other breweries that attended brought the goods.
    Mikkeller
    Pizza Port
    Surly
    De Struise
    And I think a couple other stations that we sampled.

So I was able to try many beers that I could never get my hands on or even heard of (pizza port). Furious, Darkness, Pour mans IPA, Beer Geek brunch, Black Albert............etc......And since then, I now look forward to every bottle I get from these brewers.

I will not miss any Anniversary Party that FFF has, just hope it lives up!
    Swiderek202 and strangebrew321 like this.
  2. jpaulsen

jpaulsen Savant (250) California Dec 6, 2010

Stone Brewery's annual celebrations are great! Incredibly large selection of beers, great food, cigars, music and always nice weather in San Marcos, CA!
    Sirvis, HighWine and cocoapuph like this.
  3. Zwanze Day is probably the best organized public event I've attended (both years at Spuyten Duyvil were amazing), although I'd take any old day at Drie Fonteinen over it 10 times out of 10.
  4. Oakquinox and Sour Fest are consistently awesome events.
    jasonmason likes this.
  5. GrumpyOldTroll's any given day event

or

Stone Sour Fest in years past has been awesome
    Sirvis, FUNKPhD and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  6. Bluesapalooza in Mammoth, CA
    hwy395 likes this.
  7. I just bought tickets to the Firestone Invitational on a whim, and turns out it sold out this year in like 16 hours as opposed to 2ish months last year (haven't actually gone yet). From what I hear this event turned out to be a pissing contest for the best breweries in the country and attendees got to try the best of the best. I heard they had enough Vanilla Bourbon Darklord to last a good part of the day so that is saying something. I hope it goes as well this time around.

As for my all time favorite I am partial because it also falls usually within a day or two for my birthday but PizzaPort Carlsbad puts on a fundraiser for the Keep-a-Breast foundation termed "Brewbies" where all the $ go to the breast cancer group. Again many brought their A-game and we were drinking amazing beers for what equaited to like $2 a pint. For those of you around in Southern California I strongly recommend checking it out because it is next weekend and helps out a great cause... boobs. Not many tickets left for the Sat session but Friday is still wide open. Oh there was also Younger available last year shhh
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  8. Get Real NY, a group of NYC beer people, had a couple of great cask festivals two or three years ago. I remember they had a barrel aged Marshall Zhukov back when CCB was the hype train target du jour. Cask list of probably 70 or 80 overall, and just generally a nice, chill atmosphere.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  9. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Autumn Brew Review in Minneapolis, MN.

I hear great things about Winterfest here in MN as well.
    biglobo8971 and nogophers like this.
  10. The first Stone Oakquinox was awesome, very well organized and excellent beer selection.

I remember leaving thinking "Now why can't everything else be run this well?"
    vurt likes this.
  11. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Extreme Beerfest is always great
    and beertastings with the NJ group.
    19etz55 likes this.
  12. Love Extreme Beer Fest but it is more difficult to get tickets every year. I'd rank #1-Great Taste of the Midwest #2 EBF #3 Vermont Brewer's Fest
    19etz55 likes this.
  13. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Borefts is still the best beer festival in Europe, so that gets my vote.

Value for money-wise, it would definitely be Cantillon Quintessence. I was very generously hooked up with a reservation and you got to taste at least 50-60 beers by various breweries with accompanying finger food for a measly €18. Can't beat that price. If only it wasn't so damn crowded. Agoraphobes and/or claustrophobes would probably have a total shitfit.
    LeRose likes this.
  14. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

Brewvival in Charleston, SC
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  15. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

FoBAB
    HighWine, Bay01, MC6 and 5 others like this.
  16. jasonmason likes this.
  17. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

I pretty much agree with this. I really like Alvinne Craft Beer fest too and Cantillon open brewing day.

I will also add Block 15 beer releases (went to Super Nebual release yesterday), best run beer release ever! Awesome people there too.
  18. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Maybe the tastings the night before DLD
    pjeagles, biglobo8971 and Casedogg43 like this.
  19. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

I went to a beer festival in Estes Park, CO one time....
    beercanman likes this.
  20. searsclone

searsclone Savant (305) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

I have to give an honorable mention to the Oregon Brewers Festival. But, locally, it was the first year of the AmeriCAN Canned beer fest in Chandler AZ. The VIP tent had all of the beers that were available, a few that weren't in the gen. admission line up, good food, and some of the brewers were hanging around too. They brought in a few brews (Narragansett, Sun King, Six Point) that aren't normally available here too.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  21. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

ABR is great. Tickets are limited and there is an impressive list of brewers. The new summer festival in Duluth (All Pints North) was fantastic from a setting standpoint (on grass overlooking the harbor to Lake Superior) and had a good band line up. Plenty of space. Brewer participation was small with under 40, but I suspect that will grow in years to come.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  22. The first Bruery Reserve Society Initiation. (Have been to other years' initiations... not as intimate)
    2010 Extreme Beer Festival - Night of the Barrels. (Haven't been to other EBFs)
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  23. ckeegan04

ckeegan04 Savant (495) Texas Feb 21, 2008

Blake Layne's (steamhead) day after Christmas beer tastings in Bowling Green, KY. Went a couple of times and the quality of beer was insane. Multiple bottles of things like DDG, IP, old Beatification, Dark Lord, Darkness, BCBS, KtG, Cantillon out the ass....it was always a good time. The quality of the BA's in BG, Nashville and the surrounding areas was (and I am guessing still is) off the charts. Miss getting to have tastings with that group.
    Photekut and Casedogg43 like this.
  24. National Homebrewers Conference.
    cavedave, Casedogg43 and homebrewer88 like this.
  25. scruggin

scruggin Aficionado (115) Minnesota Sep 10, 2008

I haven't attended too many beer events, but Great Taste of the Midwest completely blew me away.
  26. Hunahpu's Day 2011
    Pints for Prostates Denver Rare Beer Tasting
    GABF
    FLBeerGuy and Casedogg43 like this.
  27. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

Sour & Bitter wins it for me, admittedly in no small part because it occurred during my first trip to Copenhagen. Turns out that's an incredible city, and made everything we did there seem even better.

After that, Hill Farmstead Harvest, followed closely by Hill Farmstead Anniversary.... followed closely by the now-defunct Hill Farmstead Winter Festival.

Not at all meant to be "cute". Between Hill Farmstead's excellent beers and an always amazing list of guest taps (nevermind the stunning surroundings and the joys of camping), it's very difficult to top their events.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  28. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

3HB's annual Homegrown Festival. Local bands, breweries and vendors come together once a year for a huge party that showcases everything great up in Rochester, NY.
  29. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

fiftyfifty eclipse release hands down.

along with unlimited a ounts of eclipse theres a pretty killer bottle share as well
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  30. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

^^^ This ^^^ Great event. Darkness Day was amazing this year too and I always love me a Jackie O's bottle release.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  31. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

Borefts
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  32. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Shame on me for forgetting Brews for New Avenues! The 2013 version is going to be even better!
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  33. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (410) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

+1

Moderate crowds and all the BA Zhukov you cared to drink. I'm afraid those days are over.
    moose3285 and Casedogg43 like this.
  34. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Easy: Founders Black Party 2010.

The taplist? 2010 KBS, 2009 KBS, KBS on nitro, CBS, BB Imperial Stout, plus a bunch of others that I can't even remember. Easily the best brewery taplist I have ever seen.

Runner up would be the 2012 KBS release. Best bottle share of my life, and I met a ton of awesome people.
    strangebrew321 and Casedogg43 like this.
  35. I have to give it to the festival in worcester last summer. Not only were there too many one-off's, rare's to try, but meeting the brewers themselves was the icing. Had 15 minute conversation with urbain about earth monk while he poured me near a full bottle of '06...
    polishkaz, jbertsch and Casedogg43 like this.
  36. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Beerfest at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield,Oh gets my vote every time.Not once in 4 yrs has there been a incident at this event.Solid 400 beers and appox 75 vendors.Cheers
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  37. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I think I may roll to the Great Taste of the midwest then!
    gpawned likes this.
  38. Same here. First time volunteering at a festival and I had a great time. Not often is that much talent in the same building.
  39. toofdoc

toofdoc Aficionado (240) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

Funky Buddha south Florida beer week 2013, best tap list ever...
  40. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Brouwers Sour fest takes it for me. Deviation, fou foune, Bottleworks XII, vintage Lou pepe kriek and about 30 other beers on tap is amazing.
    sox203 and checktherhyme like this.