1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer event you've attended?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Casedogg43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I havent been to many beer events, but Fobab wins easily.
    antoines15 and RunningIPA like this.
  2. Had an amazing time at The Festival in Worcester last June! No Lines, So many breweries, so many brewers pouring my beer. Was a volunteer ALL DAY Saturday and got to go for free on Sunday.

That's hard to beat but I also was lucky enough to attend the Armsby Abbey 4th Anniversary/Hill Farmstead Dinner that was put on by Alec and Shaun Hill. The food was Offal and the beer was spectacular. Check out the pairings.

http://armsbyabbey.com/2012/07/hill-farmstead-dinner-827/

Cheers!
    thedivebar, brikelly and OudErnest like this.
  3. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice.
  4. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Yeah man. I've been to both and really enjoy it.
  5. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Firestone Walker Invitational. Attended the 1st one last June and have tickets for the '13 event. Great list of brewers show, great venue, good food, etc... I've also attended Stone's Winter Storm 7 years straight. Pretty laid back, very decent beer lineup.

Events I'd like to attend but haven't been to able thus far....
    GABF, Savor, Funky Buddha Anniversary.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I've been a huge fan of the various beer events at the Wynkoop. Their upstairs offers a lot of room, prices are always reasonable, and their staff really knows what they're doing. The Rare Beer Tasting and Parade of Darks in particular are terrific.
  7. Darkness Day is always a fun event, great bottle share the night before, greater times the morning of, great food, an great people. Not counting the way that Surly puts on an event, rolls out kegs for the masses at random times so (was my first chance at Moe's Bender). The "shant town" that is created with all the tents, just makes for a fun time.
    I will second Pre Dark Lord Day bottle share at the Hampden, it's an amazing conglomeration of beer and people. Incredible generosity and just a great time.
  8. rschne13

rschne13 Aficionado (165) Missouri Jul 23, 2009

Great Taste of the Midwest!!!!
  9. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

1) The Festival, MA/ME
    2) The Aporkalypse, NYC (2012 fest)
    3) EBF
    4) Beervana, RI

Really, really hard to pick one, but these all stood out for me
  10. Yards - Real Ale Invitational. Lots of nice cask conditioned beers, limited number of tickets, short lines and good food. Only complaint is that it is on a Sunday and going to work on Monday is never fun afterwards....
  11. Last year's Bruery Reserve Society party. I finally got to try beers like Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain, and got to sample some experimental beers that will be coming out in the future like Oude Tart with sour cherries. Plus, there was a killer bottle share at a hotel after the party.

I am really looking forward to this year's event and also the FW Invitational (I missed last year's event).
    usofar, Tieman and ehammond1 like this.
  12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I've been to many many beer events in a number of states. FoBAB is the best.
    Bay01 and antoines15 like this.
  13. --Vermont Brewers Festival on Lake Champlain: beautiful setting and awesome brews, including Lawson's
    --Firestone-Walker Invitational: unsurpassed beer selection and the best-organized event ever
    --Rare Beer Brunch at Stone: great beers and food in the bistro gardens
  14. Founders Brunch at Meridian Pint in Washington DC

CBS, KBS, Blushing Monk, Kaiser Curmudgeon, two years of FBS, Backwoods Bastard

All paired with great food.

The Surly event at Churchkey last year was pretty ridiculous too. Darkness, Abrasive, Five, etc etc. All on tap. God bless the DC gray market law.
  15. patm1986

patm1986 Savant (355) New Jersey Aug 11, 2010

in philly, monk's PtY comes to mind: 100% of younger to charity; charity raffles with packages consisting of T20, Iris 1996, vintage westy; 5 year old keg of la folie(WINNNER); and a ton of extra fun from the industry people.

this event i attended, though, on saturday at teresa's in wayne, pa was a monster in terms of what i was able to drink in one sitting. here's the list:
    [​IMG]
  16. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Zwanze Day 2012 at West Lakeview Liquors. A great bunch of BA's at the event, great beers on tap, great people working the event, awesome food, and there were great bottles available for purchase to take home.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  17. grewt beer at Zwanze but the venue is way too small and it's very overcrowded.
  18. Avery's SourFest.
    FishPondManager likes this.
  19. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

The Daily Walk to My Fridgefest.
    mdvatab and MC6 like this.
  20. The Festival in Worcester last June. By far the best beer event I've ever attended in the last 22 years of chasing good beer.
  21. hopadict

hopadict Disciple (50) California Aug 27, 2010

Drakes Hopocalypse release party on Saturday was a great time....killer beer too
  22. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

The Anderson Valley Beer fest is always a great time. (When its not held on Mother's Day weekend.)
  23. Sourfest and Brouwers for me too. By far the best event Ive ever been to.
  24. churchill's pub renaissiance in san marcos, ca Hands Down
  25. Tkolar

Tkolar Aficionado (115) New Jersey Oct 23, 2011

CBC in Copenhagen last May.
    t8000shx likes this.
  26. My favorite (that we don't host) is easily the Real Beer Expo in Rochester, NY. It is the first Saturday of Rochester Beer Week and it is just chill. Al the breweries bring their A game, lots or rarities and it has the feel of the coolest block party ever. My job now consists of going to these types of events (and delivering kegs) and this is the event I look forward to every year.
    GreesyFizeek likes this.
  27. Baab200

Baab200 Savant (320) New York Jan 9, 2013

When is that this year?
  28. Just recently (last weekend) Went with a buddy to foothills brewery for the sexual chocolate release. Didn't expected too much but it was an amazing time. Met lots of really great BAs.
  29. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Extreme Beer Fest in Boston a few years back. Went with my brother-in-law and my nephew. All strong beers. Strong ales, DIPA's. TIPA's. Barleywines, Imperial Stouts, Imperial Porters, Doppelbocks, etc.. Beers that put you on your butt!!! This event sells out quickly as it has become so popular.
  30. 19etz55

Extreme Beerfest is crazy good!!!
  31. 19etz55

Extreme Beerfest is crazy good!!!
  32. 19etz55

I'd imagine that the GABF is the Holy Grail of beer events. Hope to make it some day. On my bucket list.
  33. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Mine too. But I imagine there will be way too many people there for my liking.
  34. king75

king75 Savant (410) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

The Michigan Beer Festival over 100 breweries with over 600 different beers. I was able to try Dark Horses bourbon barrel plead the fifth, Four Elf and Scary Jesus Rockstar, Bell's Black Note stout, Founders Devil Dancer and Frangelic Mountain Brown and that was just the highlights of all the great beers I was able to try. It was absolutely awesome and I can't wait until this years.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  35. For me, Armsby Abbey's Hill Farmstead tap takeover. So many great beers. So much great food.

After that, probably the Abbey's Stoutfests. I've yet to score tickets to the Founder's Brunch, whick kick off Stoutfest each year....but we did drool through the window at the plates people were being served. Looked a-mazing!

KTG day a few years ago was pretty good too, but it's hard to beat the whole feel of the Abbey. We went to Kate day the last year before they went to the lottery ticket style event.
    BelgianDip likes this.
  36. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

That's got to be close enough that I can make that one too!
    king75 likes this.
  37. The "Barrel Terrarel" at Vintage Brewing during last year's Madison Craft Beer Week. All barrel aged beers (about 20 of them or so) and hardly anybody there. We could walk right up to whatever counter we wanted & get a sample. No huge names, but Vintage's barrel aged beers were all very good, plus a couple of local Wisconsin ones like O'so bourbon barrel aged Night Train & Sprecher Czar Brew. I was very happy with that event.

I've been to the Great Taste, but it's way too much standing in lines for me, plus the weather is a total unknown. I think it was the hotest day of the year the one time I went. Ugh. Try the Great Taste "pre-party" bars the day before in Madison - much easier to deal with... unless you are trying to get in on the Central Waters special tappings at Brickhouse.
  38. You're in luck friend! This year it's May 4th ;)
  39. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

GABF. And all the days leading up to it. Total trainwreck, total fun