1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer event you've attended?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Casedogg43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. I got to the biggy in '85 Oktoberfest , other than that it's been the GCBF , for over 20 years here in Victoria
  2. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

GABF...PERIOD! I went as a vendor to display my candies. I had a family member and a friend there to help. i.e. I was able to roam the floors about 1/3 the time I was there, got to hit highlights early and had special access to several events. GABF 2010 is in my top 5 best w/e ever!
  3. Splinter Blue Day, but only because of the awesome memory it produced: I drove to Troegs from DC very early in the morning. I waited in line in hopes of getting 2 of only 400 bottles produced. Since I had to work later that day, I couldn't drink, was on edge about getting through the line on time, etc. At a particular hour, one of the Troegner bros came down the line and handed out Troegs bottle caps and said, "If you're at the end of the line, please go home. The allotment has been distributed." Well, I was one of the peeps who got the caps and still had to wait for a LOOOONG time (their register technology and open registers only got peeps through so fast). After a while, I knew if I waited any longer, I wouldn't make it back to work in time. I then exited line, walked up to John Troegner, handed him the caps, and basically told him I had to get to work and to please give my allotment to the next person in line. At that point, the peeps in line shouted me down and UNANIMOUSLY shouted for me to go to the front of the line. I was able to get my allotment of "Splinter Blue" that day and I'll never forget the kindness that was shown to me from the peeps in line and John Troegner for allowing it all to happen. Great memory!
    black13, ddegennaro, jgluck and 3 others like this.
  4. biobeer808

biobeer808 Aspirant (45) California Dec 15, 2011

GABF. Everything about it was awesome, atmosphere, beer, people. All of downtown Denver was great, it seemed like the entire city was ready for GABF.
  5. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Went to the Veritas 08 release. That was a blast. Food was not that great but to meet Tomme and get to try stuff I never see in Australia was so much fun. Some really nice CA BA's out there.
  6. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

Damn it! I am in NYC for the year.:( I'll send all my friends!
  7. I just went to Teresa's last night and almost everything was still on tap! I think only KBS, Deliverance, and Anna have been kicked so far. The food is insanely good too. I love that place.
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  8. ksodemann

ksodemann Aficionado (195) Missouri Nov 29, 2012

BA Abraxas release at Perennial in St. Louis, MO. Very well run and organized, awesome bottle share, and it was a good small crowd so it wasn't overwhelming. Had an awesome day!
  9. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

Haven't been to a lot, but taking Friday off and going to Toronado last year for Russian River day was great. Not crowded and $4-ish pours of Younger and 2008 Temptation.
  10. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

GABF

Cigar City take over at Rattle & Hum

Old Captain Lawrence releases
    CharlatanSin likes this.
  11. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Any event with Richie Stolarz and Michael Jackson acting together.
  12. My top ones in no particular order:
    1. Rochester real beer expo
    2. Vt brewers fest
    3. Tap ny
    4. 3hb homegrown
    5. Jryans real ale fest (20 plus cask beers all you could drink from noon till 9pm)
    GreesyFizeek and 3HeadsBrewing like this.
  13. 1) Borfets
    2) Ebenzer's yearly Belgian fest
    3) Zwanze Day @ Novare Res

Honorable mention to the Night of the Funk BA fest. BA fests are good but have lost some luster for me in the last few years. Not as epic as they used to be.
    Rochefort10nh likes this.
  14. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Just drink beer, ignore. Drink beer, ignore. Repeat and repeat and repeat. :)
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  15. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I was at Oktoberfest in Munich in 2004. It was the first time I realized that beer could be so tasty. The fest itself kind of reminded me of a state farm but with meat in a bun instead of on a stick. Really a great experience.

My favorite event is Beer Under Glass here in Chicago. It happens in May and always signals that the Summer festival season has begun. It's held in the Garfield Park Conservatory, both indoors and out, so the setting is amazing. It's not so large that you can't sample something from every table (I think that there was around 80 or so last year) but not so small that you're done within a hour. They just announced this year's date and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Nachos4two likes this.
  16. I'd throw any of Shaun's fests at Hill Farmstead into the mix as well.
  17. Lagunitas Skunk Train 2008. My memory is blurred, but it was awesome.
  18. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

The Great Taste of the Midwest. Hands down. Winner winner chicken dinner.
    BeerDazed likes this.
  19. Phacoman

Phacoman Savant (265) Pennsylvania Jun 26, 2011

Had a great time at DFH analog-a-go-go. They had tastings of great beers including a barrel aged worldwide stout. Insanely good. Also had good food and I got to meet Sam.
  20. patm1986

patm1986 Savant (355) New Jersey Aug 11, 2010

MINDBLOWING.
  21. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Shelton Bros Festival in Worcester MA, 2012.
  22. In no particular order...

EBF 2010-2012 - Always a great lineup for the weekend with lots of great beers from lots of great brewers whose beers I don't usually get to enjoy.

Zwanze 2012 (@ Spuyten Duyvil) - Lots of great beer both on draft and in bottles from the bar, as well as an epic bottle share going on in the back half of the room.

PtY 2012 (@ Monk's) - The only place in Philly, as far as I know, to get a half barrel last year. A buddy and I headed down and had 3-4 glasses of it each, along with Elder and Supplication and Consecration (and one or two others)

Cuvee de Castleon b5 release - The last bottle release at the old Captain Lawrence, and for my money one of the craziest bottle shares the east coast has ever seen.

Founders event @ Rattle n Hum (spring 2011) - CBS, KBS, FBS, FIS, Black Biscuit, and Kaiser Curmudgeon all on tap at the same time. 'Nuff said.

Goose Island event @ Rattle n Hum (spring 2011) - Bourbon County Vanilla, some undisclosed experimental Bourbon County variant, and 08 Bourbon/Brandy BCBS, and Big John all on tap. Can't ask for much more.

Kuhnhenn event @ Rattle n Hum (spring 2011) - This one makes the list based simply on having both BB4D and Raspberry Eisbock on tap. Fucking incredible.

and last but certainly not least, every gathering of the NJ Gang Bang BIF group. Super generous dudes who always bring some fantastic bottles to open.
  23. Rimbimhoot

Rimbimhoot Savant (415) Illinois Sep 26, 2012

Great Taste of Midwest knocked my nips off! Huge selection with plenty of special releases
    BeerDazed likes this.
  24. Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest
    1424IpA and Rau71 like this.
  25. June 15th. It is the first Saturday of Rochester Beer Week. My advice is get tickets earlier rather than later. It sold out early last year and I feel it is starting to get some traction on being something people are gonna want to attend.
  26. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Last years Kate the Great Day, simply because it was the last one and I got to drink 4 pours of it....CHEERS
    smutty33 likes this.
  27. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Philly Beer Week (weekday events)
    EBF
    Monk's Mad Mondays (Russian River [NOT pty] and Cantillon)
    Nearly every summertime beerbq back home in NJ
  28. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

For me KtG Day.

I think the EBF or GABF would top it if I ever make it to one.

Cheers
    seplo likes this.
  29. 7clutch

7clutch Aficionado (245) Florida Sep 14, 2012

Funky Buddha's 2nd anniversary is definitely the best event I've been too. A bunch of their staples (Nib Smuggler, No Crusts) and then big hitters like Morning Wood, Wide Awake, bourbon barrel aged barley wines, new berliners...Glad I ate as much as I could beforehand. I tried probably 12 or so beers and there was still a handful I regretted not getting to try.
  30. 7clutch

7clutch Aficionado (245) Florida Sep 14, 2012

You guys in Philly have it spoiled. I forget if it was Monk's or Capone's, but I remember looking at one of their tap lists for Black Friday and being utterly dumbfounded. If I hadn't seen it and someone had told me about it I'd have wondered if they were exaggerating.
  31. KTG Day 09-12.

Got to drink great beers. Met Todd Mott and The Bro's. Even got to wait in line a bunch of hours. Good times.
  32. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

Bell's Eccentric Day 2012 was awesome. BB Batch 9,000, BB Cherry Stout, BB Exp Stout, '09 Exp Stout and Black Note on tap just to name a few?! Plus dressing up as your alter ego was fun times.
    founder26 and Casedogg43 like this.
  33. I second (or third) ABR. Bell's, Surly, and Goose Island always bring some great stuff.
  34. TJMac

TJMac Initiate (0) North Carolina Feb 15, 2005

Real Ale festival in Chicago several years ago, first time I tried 90 Minute and WWS.
  35. cincysig

cincysig Savant (330) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

For quality of selection, exposure to variety and ability to sample new brews...
    #1 -- Great American Beer Festival (Denver, CO) -- 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2010
    #2 -- American Craft Beer Festival (Boston, MA) -- 2011
    #3 -- Double IPA Festival (The Bistro, Hayward, CA) -- 2013

For pure enjoyment of the overall experience...
    #1 -- Oktoberfest (Munich, Germany) -- 2012
    #2 -- Pliny the Younger Release (Santa Rosa, CA) -- 2013
    #3 -- Portsmouth Brewery Imperial Pint Club Holiday Party -- 2008, 2010, 2012

Still on the list... Savor, Dark Lord Day and others...

PS -- Most favorite food event is... Hokitika Wildfoods Festival (Hokitika, NZ) -- 2009
    Casedogg43 likes this.
  36. blatchy

blatchy Aficionado (100) New York May 3, 2010

In no particular order:

TAP NY - Great beer and nothing really else to do in that beautiful but isolated town but drink with friends and brewers. A ton of fun.

Rochester Real Beer Week - A whole week of beer events, their own festival in the heart of The South Wedge, and a real love fest for both area and regional craft beers. Well produced and a lot of fun.

Belgium Comes to Cooperstown - Themed (ie. for the Spinal Tap theme, they had mimes serving dinner), teaming with Belgians, live music, movies projected on the sides of the brewery. Two terrific summer days of camping with brewers serving in the field; smaller, quaint, and phenomenal in the middle of CNY. And pretty much every Ommegang beer you could ever want to try. Probably my favorite event.

Homegrown II: The year before was cold, but this year's event was 56 degrees in January. 10 bucks for countless samples, tons of free food, bands all day long (Noon to close). This year not only had the release of 3HB's Too Kind (which is a terrific, atypical DIPA) but Genesee showed up with a cask of Oatmeal Stout. Yes, folks, Genesee Brewing. It was terrific!
  37. FredFest 2011.
  38. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Lonely Saturdays in my basement. The beer and whiskey are flowing!
  39. Great Taste of the Midwest also has my vote.

The lambic/sour events at Spuyten Duyvil were also stellar. Mariage Parfait from the 80's, Cantillon on-tap galore, and on and on. I had many glasses of Saint Lamvinus.
  40. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

The Imperial stout fest at Beer Revolution in Oakland last March. 50+ imperial stouts = OMG!!!