1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer event you've attended?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Casedogg43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

So far I've only attended 3, and they where:
    Tallahassee Brewfest
    FSU Hospitality beer dinner
    ABC beer tasting

Brewfest takes first place easily, but Ill have to go to another festival before I can make a real decision ^_^

2. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

I really dig the Eclipse release party in Truckee. Smaller, more laid back.

3. zoober911

zoober911 Savant (425) New York Jul 31, 2012

It's sad to say but I've only been to one....but it was awesome and helped to start my education in all things beer:)

Sixpoints' Beer for Beasts 2011.

4. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Great American Beer Fest...where you can at least try some beer from all over the country. However, the NE of the USA is always poorly represented.

5. I have always loved the world beer festival in Durham, nc. Especially now that they moved to the new Durham Bulls Athletic park

6. KenGriffith45

KenGriffith45 Zealot (90) New York Sep 16, 2012

The 2nd Annual Brooklyn Pour event in 2012. This was the first Beer-Fest for both my wife and I, so we'll always remember it. Buy 1/Get1 VIP tickets didn't hurt, either!!

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

A tasting of vintage beers at Martyn Cornell's:

1992 Courage Russian Stout
    1992 Whitbread Celebration Ale
    1977 Courage Russian Stout
    1935 Ind Coope and Allsopp Jubilee Ale
    1902 king's Ale
    1875 Arctic Ale

jmgrub, beerindex, vurt and 3 others like this.
  8. FoBAB is about as perfect as it can get.

CLCardinal84 likes this.
  9. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (225) Kentucky May 14, 2009

Anytime my cousin and I get together, especially in the summer around my pool when the whole family and friends come. We stash homebrew all year and brew some ridiculous IPA's 3-4 weeks ahead of time. It just turn into one big high gravity mess by end of day 1.

10. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (575) Florida Aug 11, 2012

I am hoping that it's tomorrow at CCB.....................

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  11. GABF no question. EBF is a good time too.

12. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Savant (495) Virginia Feb 4, 2004

The 1st Pints for Prostate Denver Rare Beer tasting was phenomenal, paired that with GABF. Best beer week I've had. 2nd is my annual trip to the Hickory Hops Festival in Hickory, NC. Really well run event with a load of great beers.

13. GABF followed by rolling bottle share and brewery tour with a group of 20 during GABF weekend.

14. kodt

kodt Advocate (560) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

2007 Dark Lord Day was amazing, just standing in line all day bottle sharing. Now the line moves much faster combined with the no cooler rule means less time to drink in line and just enjoy the day. It is also more crowded now.

Goose Island BCBS Tap Takeover last night ended up being awesome, with free pours of Rare and King Henry.

15. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

I think FoBAB is #1, followed by Dark Lord Day and the BCBS Tap Takeover last night was incredible also.

16. Michigan Winter Beer Fest is a very well run event.

Sirvis likes this.
  17. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

GonzoIllini's birthday parties the past 3 Novembers have been pretty fucking awesome.

18. Shelton Brothers The Festival in Worcester. Met a lot of brewers, including Jean from Cantillon and Urbain from DeStruise in my profile pic. He kept feeding me samples and got me nice and hammered lol. A really good time.

tripeldubya likes this.
  19. masshlx

masshlx Savant (290) Massachusetts Sep 24, 2003

Mass Brewers Fest, organized by the Massachusetts Brewers Guild. Perfect location, perfect weather, excellent selections.

20. I was going to say the same thing. I wish more festivals were like that! Food was damn good too.

21. HighWine

HighWine Savant (385) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Portland International Beer Fest. It's the smaller event and well run, rare beers, food trucks, and no lines.

22. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (550) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

NHC for me. Judge beer more than half a day, then go to a miniature GABF with local breweries, sip great homebrew in the hospitality suite until the wee hours of the morning, drag yourself out of bed and down to the seminars and accept a big pour of killer mead into your glass as you try to learn something/wake up, take a nap, and then get the most amazing homebrews served at Club night. And I haven't even mentioned the banquet/awards ceremony.

A couple various DLD's from 5-7 years past were way up there though, just from the standpoint of all the people met, trades completed, and amazing beer being poured everywhere, even if you didn't get much/any DL. :D

And honorable mention to the first time I ever went to GABF, whatever year it was. You head up those stairs and step into this huge room, and have to pause a moment to realize how big it is. Fucking beautiful. Wasn't even sold out back then. Even with the severe crowd there is now, I recommend everyone experience it at least once.

cheers--
    --Michael

23. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

GABF in '06 was badass. Hope to go again one of these years...

Although it's not your typical beer festival, absent early morning waiting in line/bottle sharing, crazy whales, and wide variety of beers from all over) Schlafly Stout & Oyster Festival is one heck of an event each year. Great, fresh, honest-to-goodness stouts, paired with oyster varieties flown in from both coasts. Sad to have missed it this year.

Would love to check out FOBAB one of these times. Sound like one hell of a great time!

24. Almost embarrassed to say this... A tasting for journalists in Brussels, so sparsely attended (this is the embarrassing part, but it was a weeknight), that I ended up being able to have long discussion with Guido from 3F, Manu De Landtsheer from Malheur, people from Het Anker... I think it was about 100 people for, like, 10 breweries. No notes survive from that night, sad to say.

25. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Winner: The Woodshop events here in Southern California. The taps and food are always good, but the massive bottleshare which is the heart of the event is just mind-blowing. Insane bottles from around the world. People walking around sharing beers that you may have only heard of and never thought you'd sample.

Runner-up: The Holiday Ale Festival in Portland, OR

26. Brewvival weekend. The pre-fest bottle share and the festival itself rank 1 and 1a on my list of beer experiences.

27. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

the ones I hold almost every weekend, at home & Alone (after my wife & kid go to my Mother-in-Laws for dinner)... left behind w/ some QUIET, the Grill, some steaks, & my selection of choice.

- I TRY to attend them as Much as possible ;)

28. It was a two person event. I had a hip replacement Monday so Saturday was the last night I could drink. We had; Steelhead Mad River DIPA. Then Sculpin. Then a Hop art. Then a FBS. Then a Boltcutter. Then topped it off with a surprise Enjoy By 4.1.13. A wonderful night of drinking with a really close friend. BA tag Boski.

29. Oysters and Ale in Jacksonville, Or. New brewery owner and brewmaster there each night to share their brews, while oysters by the hundreds are barbecued on the half shell. I gorged myself on beer, swordfish, oysters, and shrimp. It was amazing.

30. Only big event I've been to was Hunahpu's Day yesterday. It was incredible and I can see why people love these things. Lots of beers you may not otherwise be able to try are featured, camaraderie with friends you brought (or people you meet at the event), splitting brews with them so you spend less money and aren't sloshed a few beers in. Just awesome. And it was very educational. for one, I learned that lots of beautiful women are in to craft beer. I need to wife one.

31. 1999, 15 years old - Getting drunk for my first time while sipping on a 40 of Mickey's at the lunch tables of my Elementary school as the stars shined above.

32. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (465) Illinois May 30, 2005

Jumping the gun a bit, but hoping I can later report that the best fest was:
    http://www.napervillealefest.com/

At least it will surely be the best fest I will have attended since it will also be my 1st;) Pretty good lineup for a 1st time event.

Seago likes this.
  33. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Alewatcher's birthday two years ago. I had to miss it last year :(

AleWatcher likes this.
  34. ebf continues to impress year after year, belgium comes to cooperstown is on my bucket list

35. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

This has been my favorite, so many good beers, and great people! I just wish it was 2 days, it is impossible to to try even 1/4 of the beers offered in this one day beer bash!

36. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

RBSG 2010. Only RB gathering I've gone to, but it was great. I was just starting to trade around that time, so there were tons of great breweries I had not yet tried prior to that, like Cascade, Lost Abbey, Russian River, Firestone Walker, Captain Lawrence, New Glarus, and Alpine. Plus I got to try Sonoran 200 and scored my only West Virginia tick. I got to try so many of the famed beers I'd read about, like Darkness, Dark Lord, Sexual Chocolate, Duck Duck Gooze, and Barrel Select Batch 1.

37. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Yeah.... you missed it because you decided you just had to get married....

38. Sirvis

Sirvis Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 29, 2012

The Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Brew Fest is a blast. This is my second year attending and its a heavenly day in the snow. All the hard to get brews are offered and easy to get! Here is Bells van in the lot..love the old timey art...

[​IMG]

Shorts offerings. Juicy Tree was delish!

[​IMG]

Me getting AFU...lol

[​IMG]

HopHeadHerman likes this.
  39. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Well I'm not getting married this year!

40. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

What the hell?! where was this?

...did I just get trolled?