1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer event you've attended?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Casedogg43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Hands down Darkness Day last year. First time at Darkness Day, but tried an endless amount of great beer. Hung out with some great BA's I've met before and met plenty of new ones. One of the highlights - drinking Vietnamese Speedway Stout while watching the sunrise.

2. kodt

kodt Advocate (535) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

3. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Huna day last year, more organized than this years. Close second would be the Funky Buddha First Anniversary Party, mixed maple bacon and no crusts to create my own breakfast sandwich beer!

4. 24hr of beer twice in Antwerp before it was moved.

5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Philly Beer Week. The best collection of beer events anywhere.

6. Since I have a short memory, always the last one I attended.

7. BrettMcCal23

BrettMcCal23 Zealot (75) Minnesota Nov 23, 2010

Surly! The Day After Darkness was the shit! Props to Omar for an awesome tasting and event. Four on the Floor was crazy too so good choice for music also

8. mikul93

mikul93 Savant (295) California Jan 13, 2011

Without a second thought, Firestone Walker Invitational Beerfest 2012! Amazing beers, delicious food and great tunes. Got my ticket and hotel locked up for this years event. Cheers!

9. Seago

Seago Aficionado (110) Illinois Dec 26, 2012

The Naperville Ale Fest is Naperville’s first craft beer festival. The inaugural festival will take place on Saturday, July 20, 2013. Situated on the grounds of Naper Settlement, with Downtown Naperville as a backdrop, it is the ideal setting to experience craft beer. The festival will feature 60+ breweries and over 180 unique beers. www.NapervilleAleFest.com

10. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

GABF (1994) - no lines!!

11. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

Michigan's Brewers Guild summer festival

12. ksecler

ksecler Aficionado (100) Illinois Oct 21, 2013

Great Lakes Brew Fest

13. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Honestly...The Jackie O's 2012 Anniversary party. I had such a good time...blows away any beer fest I've ever attended by a long shot. Better beer, more style options. Awesome people. Awesome food.

14. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

March 8, 2014 .....the tap list was amazing, wait a minute, I still have this Huna Day to look forward to.

15. My first and I can't be more excited!

16. A Slow Food fest over 10 years ago at Trap Rock Brewery Restaurant. $20.00 all you could eat from local farms ,fishing fleets ect. Unlimited beer from the host and about 10 craft Brewerys including Victory, Dogfish Head and the late great Heavyweight.

17. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (570) New York Jan 15, 2009

Lawsons 5 year anniversary. It doesn't get much better than Double sunshine and fayston ba stout on tap!

HRamz3 likes this.
  18. Haven't been to too many yet, but I went to Three Head's 3rd anniversary party, Homegrown Tre, and I had an amazing time. Great to meet so many people in my area who are into beer, a lot of the breweries don't fuck around with the pours! Climbing Bines gave out basically full pints of their beer. Great food too, awesome music, awesome people. I won't miss it next year for sure.

19. rjp217

rjp217 Advocate (720) Massachusetts Apr 24, 2012

ACBF is always my favorite event of the year. I'm hoping EBF lives up to my high expectations

20. My fridge. No lines. No limits.

dianimal, HRamz3 and Knee_Deep_Fan like this.
  21. Hood river fresh hop fest 2011.
    Stone tap takeover at The Lord hobo Cambridge Ma 2011
    York England real ale festival 2012.

My wife is a saint!!!!!

22. GSH1976

GSH1976 Aficionado (145) Delaware Aug 6, 2005

I was at an event in Miami back in either 2002 or 2003 and it was awesome. There were tents set up on the beach and some were very impressive. One in particular was all Belgian beer and the guy in charge was very generous (and I think intoxicated) and he gave me a nice glass to keep and also filled it twice with something good for maybe $5. Actually I may not have given him anything other than tickets which were given out. Another tent had over 200 cask conditioned beers. Considering that was over 10 years ago it is even more impressive.

23. [​IMG]

They capped the night with a ginger Creme Brulee paired with the RIS, and the Breakfast Stout was 2012

24. MIbeerGUY

MIbeerGUY Zealot (75) Michigan Sep 18, 2012

Between Darkshorse's 4Elf party, the Michigan Brewer's Guild's Beerfest's and Darklord day, thats hard to nail one down. Founder's events are up there too.

Never been to the UP Brewer's Guild fest, but the others are great. The amount of Rare and just superb beers you can try is kind of mind boggling.

The bottle sharing at 4Elf this year was rediculous. I was having to slam glasses of beer so someone else could pour something else in my glass. Everything just rare and awesome. I tried so many things that night, wish I could remember half of them.

25. I haven't been to any big name events, or anything overly special. Mostly just local brewfests. The best I've been to is the BrewFest at Mount Hope, which is held every May on the grounds of the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. Pretty big brewfest for this area, and it's fun to walk around the fairgrounds and sample different beers. Plus food is included in the ticket price, which is only $15 if you enter beer into the homebrew competition they have.

26. My first ACBF a few years back. Good times, good beers, and good company. Hoping the EBF this year gives it a serious run for the money.

27. RusImpStoLuv

RusImpStoLuv Savant (255) Michigan Feb 14, 2014

Founders Fest.....dee-lish!

28. Oktoberfest or Az beer week Az beer Take over at taste of Tops in Tempe Az

29. EXACTLY!!!

RusImpStoLuv likes this.
  30. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (460) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

FWIF is awesome. Be warned though, it can get warm! They had big industrial swamp coolers though to cool people down, lots of shady areas, and tons of delicious bites from pretty good caterers. Yes they had plenty of Barrel aged vanilla Dark lord but once you put it up against some of the other world class offerings that they have, you realize what a sweet boozy mess it is and is way over hyped. Just the Firestone Walker offerings alone are plenty to get you into buzzland real quick!

31. joe1510

joe1510 Champion (750) Illinois Aug 21, 2006

Great Taste is locked and loaded. That's a fest I suppose.

Best beer event ever was the Goose Island event at the Fulton St. Brewery back in the day during The Craft Beer Conference in Chicago. 2009 maybe.. It had 13 (someone correct me) of the best chefs in Chicago, and two of my personal favorites, (Paul Kahan, Bill Kim) cooking up bomb ass food, that you could carry around to eat, while every Goose Island beer that was available was pouring. All you could drink. Mindy Segal was making desserts out of Bourbon county (mini cupcakes with bourbon county somehow wet and full of booze on the inside) paired with whatever Bourbon County you wanted straight from the barrels. I believe there were 17 varieties (blueberry, and Ancho were the two best flavored Bourbon Counties) This was before rare was released and there were multiple Pappy barrel variations including the 23 (rare). All the sours were present including raspberry Matilda (more please), Old school Madame Rose, peach sours, if you could think it up Goose Island had it that day.

I hate to name all the beers like that but it brought back the memory of that insanely great event. Goose Island was, and still is (somewhat), great to their hometown.

That Craft Beer Conference had so many events going on that were killer that I didn't think my liver would hold out, and I prepped with serious drinking weeks in advance. Whew, I haven't talked about that week in a long while. It's like a sweet, sweet dream now.

emerge077 likes this.
  32. Savor 2013. Usually held in DC but moved for that year to NYC. Unmatched beer selection, included paired food dishes, oyster bar, cheese and chocolate tables, brewery goodies, beer workshops, etc. A classy event with rare beers that was special. Nice exit gift bag which was a bomber, New York Limited, made exclusively for this beer festival by Brooklyn, Ommegang, and Saranac breweries. Unlike some other beer festivals, pours were generous and of course, unlimited.

Johnny_Muir likes this.
  33. 1st Annual Montana Brewers Festival. A six hour session, 30-something breweries, six-ounce sample size, no lines, all for $25 (but since my buddy was working the door I paid $10).

34. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Savant (310) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2014

Great Taste of the Midwest

35. Beer Bacon Music in Frederick, MD. Hasn't happened yet, but how can it not be the best with unlimited tastings from over 30 breweries participating, a 2 ton bacon bar, live bands, and a 6k cash prize for a home brew competition.
    All the info is at
    Beerbaconmusic.com

36. Been to a lot of events, but the ones I always go back to each year are EBF and Savor.

37. ajzbedo73

ajzbedo73 Aficionado (245) Missouri Jan 17, 2014

I have never been to a beer event, unless you consider quarter draws down at Bar 12 back in the day. That was definitely an event every Wednesday. Thursday morning tended to be an event also. Lol.

Seriously though, I am going to my first in June. Boulevardia in Kansas City. I can't wait!

38. Easy - the Cyclorama Beer Advocate events - especially the Extreme Beer Fest (EBF). While Beer Advocate's ACBF and the Belgium Beer Fest are excellent as well - searching for and finding the extreme element in the art of brewing and drinking beer push the EBF to the top. This year's EBF proves to be better than all - the growing beer list looks fantastic. While I'm excited to see what the new Seaport venue will look like, the aesthetic look and feel of the Cyclorama will be hard to beat. While I have only volunteered at Beer Advocate events, the overall vibe of the staff, volunteers and attendees is all about the beer - and the enthusiasm is infectious. I recently went to another beer fest in Boston as a participant (Beer Summit) and found it to be overcrowded, too loud given the crowd noise and the band, and less selective with regard to beer. It was more of a drunk fest that focused on the social element first, beer second - not that there's anything wrong with that. I was there with 2 of my oldest friends with the clear intent to bond through drinking beer, and lots of it. A great time was had by all, but I wouldn't say it's in the same league as the Beer Advocate events I've been to. I will add this disclaimer - I have not been to many other beer-related events, and only rarely participate in "New Release Parties", events at breweries, Octoberfests, etc. so I'm a bit biased...I guess I am less of a social animal and more of a home brewer / drinker, with strong opinions! Cheers!

39. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Advocate (625) Virginia Sep 9, 2013

My favorite that I attend every year is Beer and Gear in ohiopyle PA. It may not be filled with the best beer, but nothing beats a weekend of camping, whitewater rafting and a beer festival.

40. HopHead_44

HopHead_44 Disciple (55) New York Feb 24, 2014

Beerfields Craft Beer and Music Festival - Long island New york

Get wasted on great craft brews all day and jam out and burn all night ...last year it was The Wailers and the Dirty heads and the year before they had John Browns Body and Sublime with rome in the pouring rain.. O good times were had.. Reggae and craft beer work magicially