1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer you've had the privilege of tasting at a special event?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 23, 2013.

1. For now it will be Army of Darkness by HUB. Hands down the best Stout i have ever had. It almost ressembled a port it was so rich and unique. I wish i could have it all the time!
    miketd likes this.
  2. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Baladin Xyuayu was the best I have had and also had that port taste!
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  3. Duck Rabbit BA Baltic Porter at Peabody's!!
    benjaminahudson likes this.
  4. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Black Tuesday
    Grey Monday
    Heady Topper
    PtE
    theCoder likes this.
  5. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Bourbon Barrel Vanilla Bean Dark Lord at the Firestone Walker International Beer Fest last year.
    Scalzo and 1424IpA like this.
  6. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Zwanze and Fou Foune on draft @ Zwanze day 2012!
  7. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

BCBVS and PVW Dark Lord at Borefts. Needless to say, things got a little silly.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  8. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm not sure if this really counts, but...Buffalo, WY, a small town about 45 minutes away from my small town had a homebrew competition brewfest. Homebrewers from around the region brought 5 gallons of any of their beers, and you got to wander around sampling. Hands down my favorite beer of the day (and I still hold it in high regard, even against the pros), was a Belgian wit. It had been an all grain brew, and the guy had come up with the recipe himself. It was awesome. I'd absolutely buy a case or a growler or whatever else of it if it had come from a brewery. The whole event was pretty neat, but that was the stand out for sure.
    SatlyMalty, hwy395, Duff27 and 3 others like this.
  9. Nothing special, but for me it was Victory headwaters PA. I was at victory talking with their catering rep Diane about my wedding in the same room as some release event for the victory higher ups and friends. The guy running the event took a glass over to my fiancée and I and said we must be friends of the company and deserved to get a sneak peak at their new beer. Ended up picking it as one of the two beers to serve at our reception :)
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  10. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

I'll have to go with a 7 year old Westy 12 standing in line on KBS day. Amazing!
  11. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

I had never heard of Ninkasi before they tapped a keg of Tricerahops at Hop Juice Festival at Two Brother's Roundhouse last summer. I've now got a buddy in the Sacramento area buying me some to ship my way back here in Illinois. I've had a lot of great draft only stuff from Bell's, 3 Floyd's and even 2 Brother's at the breweries that you can't get elsewhere, but trying Ninkasi for the first time was my only festival home run. That same event I tasted Surly 5. I learned that as much as I love Surly, I certainly do not like sour/wild ales one bit.
  12. the best? I went to a De Dolle tasting that blew me away. The 00 and 05 reservas were fantastic.
    jedwards likes this.
  13. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

BA Batch 9000 followed by BBPt5, BA Cherry Stout and a slew of one-off's from Greenbush just for the Winter beer festival in the D last November.
    TheMonk41 likes this.
  14. Well so far thanks to the tasting group weve assembled, Ive had Cherry Rye (meh, too sweet) , BCBCS (yes), RareR DOS (ive actually acquired a growler since then), 11 BA Plead the 5th (much, much better than fresh), HF Anna (a great honey saison, but not as good as Vera Mae), 09 Lou Pepe Kriek, Eclipse 4 roses, Melange No. 3.

The winners of best beer at a tasting Ive had were clearly CCB Moat Water and Leon. holy hell.
    cyrushire and bryanole27 like this.
  15. koopa

koopa Champion (790) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Wooden Hell
  16. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Go to a three floyds event with a few beers to share and you can pretty much sample anything you could possibly dream of. The most epic graveyards I've ever seen.
  17. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,060) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Both Cantillon Zwanze at 2011 and 2012... although I would take Fou Foune over them any day... ;)

18. Thanks for hosting! That tasting was epic!
  19. and you brought the heat, sir! I cant believe i forgot Cognac Sweet Stout!
    bryanole27 likes this.
  20. After the line-up we had, understandable. However, the sweet stout was phenomenal to me:)
    Bitterbill likes this.
  21. same here! Honestly, I went through my untappd to see what I had. That was a long day of drinking wale blood.
    bryanole27 likes this.
  22. jfh

jfh Aficionado (190) California Apr 25, 2008

Sam Adams Uptopia. 2 years in a row at a "whiskey club" monty meeting that was turned to beer tasting.
  23. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

5 year vertical tasting of Alaskan Smoked Porter. Not my absolute favorite beer, but it was very cool to have 5 vintages laid out at once with some brewery reps a few years back.
    seplo and luwak like this.
  24. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

I think probably the Privilege Ale at the 7th grade spelling bee. Old Mr. Thompson was a crafty corrupting influence. Looking back, this never actually happened. I don't even know anyone named Mr. Thompson.
  25. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (430) New York Jan 19, 2013

I'd have to say it was Ithaca Hop Stash and Brute on tap at a wedding, summer '11. I pretty much just turned the keys over to my wife and had at it.
    beerloserLI likes this.
  26. TKEbeerman

TKEbeerman Savant (355) Florida Jun 6, 2009

Stonewall ale at a stone beer dinner with Greg Koch. I dont think ill ever top that
    DevilsCups and IPA4LIFE like this.
  27. Shit, I didnt include anything from the ORF tasting. Oil of Aphrodite, Eclipse EC 18, Bruery Otiose/White Chocolate/Mother Funker, and Beatification batch 5.
  28. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Cantillon Fou' Foune
    GI King Henry
    Black Tuesday
  29. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Cantillon Bourgogne Lambic

In the Summer of 2007, we had a huge gathering in Cleveland that brought people in from 7-8 states. The list was huge - HOTD Adam from the Wood Magnum, 3 Font. Millenium and 50th, just about every Pizza Port/Lost Abbey beer released up until then, etc. But the star of the show was the Cantillon above.
    John11486 and devlishdamsel like this.
  30. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Surly Tea bagged Furious at the MN Autumn Brew Review a couple of years back.
    DaveAnderson likes this.
  31. My wife surprised me for my last birthday- I went to Stone, where Mitch Steele gave me a tour of the brewery, then shared 2012 RIS (before it went on sale), 2012 Old Guardian, and Bottlework's 13th Anniversary Ale (before it went on sale too).

Then two days later- at the Stone Farm Fresh Dinner, I sat right next to Greg Koch and Steve Wagner and had Arrogant Bastard out of the fermenter, as well as Ruination that had been kegged that day.

For me, it isn't the beer that was drank, it was the company that I was with. When Mitch Steele pours you a beer, it is automatically one of the most important beers of your life . . .
  32. Came in to post this exact thing.

The bottle share at Crooked Stave that day was amazing as well.
    chicano4craft and Resuin like this.
  33. Zuidman

Zuidman Savant (300) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

2012 Two Brothers Hopjuice Fest
    Ten Fidy Whiskey Barrell aged
    Surly Five (3 of these at the end if the night was a mistake)- don't remember the rest
  34. Bravo Brown by Firestone Walker, an imperial brown ale aged in brandy and bourbon barrels. Amazing brandy bomb of a beer!
    bifrost17 and vacax like this.
  35. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

# All the Stone Vertical Epic Ales w/ Greg, crew & friends

# Utopias from the barrel while hangin with Jim

Much much more ... best is somewhat subjective to the ambiance and people you are with as well IMO.
  36. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

The first time I read this thread, I never looked at the content of your initial post. Anyway, that may be the best beer name of all time(at least for a nerd like me.)
  37. 2011 event at the Central City Tap House in Kalamazoo. Goose Island BCS 06-11, Bramble Rye, KH, Vanilla Stout, Coffee Stout, Lolita, Juliet, Rare, and as a bonus, The Livery Cherry bomb and trippel weizenbock. What an incredible night.
    Scalzo likes this.
  38. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

Oak cask darkness at darkness day 2011
    MPLSbrewer likes this.
  39. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (580) New York Sep 21, 2012

Joe at my fav beer store had an awesome lineup of more than 40 beers at the tasting. Some of them:

2008 Dark Lord
    2008 DFH WWS
    2009 DFH Olde School
    Vintage Behemoth
    2008 and 2009 FBS
    Avery Mephistopheles 2009 or 2010
    Vintage DFH Raison D'Extra
    2012 Ostuchi Old Stock Ale
    2010 Double Bastard
    Avery Samael's Ale.. don't remember the vintage
    Westy 12
    Samichlaus Classic Bier
    Hoppin Frog Natasha Rocks

to a newbie that was like OMG.. best event so far. Most of these beers from his personal cellar. Thank you Joe. I cannot ask for more on a single day.
    Scalzo likes this.
  40. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Surly Moe's Bender at Darkness Day 2010 and 2011. My first beer epiphany.
    Powderhornphil likes this.