1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer you've had the privilege of tasting at a special event?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Canadian Breakfast Stout at a Founders beer dinner at HopCat. It was 3 ounces of beer heaven.

2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Cherry Bourbon County (not Cherry Rye)
    King Henry
    CBS

I have more but can't think of them off hand.

3. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

One, Coconut Vanilla Speedway Stout at The Full Pint's 5th Anniversary.

Two, bourbon barrel Papier straight from the barrel at a bottle share at The Bruery, back before anyone outside of locals had heard of The Bruery.

Three, because you can't stop me from listing more, I have to second the vote of Firestone Walker Bravo. My favorite Firestone beer of all time.

4. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Seven or eight years ago I visited HOTD and Alan gave me a sample of Dave.

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  5. Kelp

Kelp Advocate (520) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

The stone tap takeover at lord hobo's a few years ago. Meeting Greg and getting to try a bunch of barreled versions of their seasonals and older vintages as well. Crazy day out with friends followed by an arquebus at CBC to finish the day.

6. Strong Ale Fest 2011 at Pizza Port Carlsbad had an amazing line up. Best I had to was Barrel aged Serpent Stout with cocoa nibs and cherries. Wow!

7. The only 5/5 rating I have ever given was for Tea Bagged Furious. Of course, the Bros don't see fit to list it as a separate beer, so it shows up under regular Furious.

I have a problem with this decision, since their guidelines say a 5 should be reserved for a beer that cannot be improved. Since I most definitely think Tea Bagged Furious is an improvement over Furious, I shouldn't award a 5 to Furious. But I really want to give a 5 to the Tea Bagged variant.

nogophers likes this.
  8. dckepley

dckepley Savant (365) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

GABF...many special tastes to put a perma-smile on my face!

9. mark99

mark99 Aficionado (195) New York Mar 10, 2010

J&J Blauw and 3 Fonteinen oude geuze vintage 2003 still remain as the best beers I've ever had after all these years. :)

10. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I guess 2005 Avec Les Bon Voeux. But I haven't been to many special events that were of true quality. Even at the event I'm referring to, I hardly got any at all to try.

11. Definitely Fou Foune

12. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

1988 JW Lees Vintage Harvest ale

6 year vert of NC Old Stock

13. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

'99 3F Oude Geuze... Basically $4 per ounce and the best deal ever.

14. Alternating tulips of Rose de Gambrinus and Younger @ SF Beer week 2012

15. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Tasting a 30-year-old berliner weisse at Woodshop a couple years ago was unique and enlightening.

Sampling un-barreled Papier (called Virgin Papier) and a young version of the beer that would eventually become Oude Tart at The Bruery are both very fond memories.

But the crown has to go to the tasting hosted last year by jerz and vacax, where the highlights included M, Brabantiae, and Don Q. Not just epic, but legendary (like the generosity of the hosts).

And I hate to say it (because I will probably never taste it again), but M was spectacular.

16. charlzm

charlzm Champion (800) California Sep 3, 2007

Stone Vertical Epic 02/02/02 - opened and consumed in 2013. Thanks, Vurt!
    Kate the Great
    1994 Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label) - opened and consumed in 2008.

17. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

This year I had the pleasure of trying some of my all time biggest wants in one night, I wish I could remember that night, someone told me I had fun and enjoyed the beers very much....
    [​IMG]

18. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (405) California Nov 2, 2012

Vanilla bean dark lord at fw beer fest...honorable mention dos osos(revolution/fw colab) and hop ninja(beachwood bbq) same event...cant wait for this years event!

Rau71 likes this.
  19. Stille Nacht Reserva, Tsjeeses Reserva Bourbon Barrel aged, and Mikkeller's Santa's Little Helper Scotch Barrel aged at the Essen Kerstbierfestival. It was a great first beer fest.

These may change in Bruges next weekend depending on how long the samples last.

20. Imperial Brown Goose at ACBF last year was awesome.

2011 Brandy Barrel Dark Lord, 2012 Cognac de Muerte Dark Lord and 2012 Cognac Dark Lord at a tasting during Rochester Beer Week last year was probably the best though.

21. huysmans

huysmans Savant (340) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Allagash rep had a bottle of Mattina Rossa, the never released raspberry wild ale, at an Allagash event on Tuesday night. And I thought the Bourbon Black was good!

22. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Oude Tart w Sour Cherries
    Utopias
    BA Decadence 07
    Veritas 10
    FB Morning Wood
    Allagash Mattina Rossa

23. beefmental

beefmental Aficionado (215) Iowa May 26, 2005

CBS at the 2010 Great Taste of the Midwest.

24. Wooden Hell at Pinocchio's for Dan's (beer manager's) birthday.

Russian River Registration at TJ's for Philly Beer Week Leftovers.

2007 Saint Lamvinus and 2009 Fou Foune at Monk's Cafe after Zwanze Day.

For pure ambiance and enjoyment: Hefeweizen-Dopplebock at Sly Fox Goat Races 2012.

25. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (340) New York Dec 3, 2009

Summer 2011, Rattle n Hum had a Goose Island event and one of the beers they had was 2008 brandy barrel bcbs. That was a treat.

26. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (230) Vermont May 14, 2009

Happened to have the best and worst at the same event.

Best - Dirty Horse
    Worst - Sink The Bismark

27. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Agree with this!

28. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

ACBF- Lawson's Maple Tripple and pistachio beer
    KtG at KtG day
    Allagash Coolship Red on release they game my wife a sample and I when we bought them. My wife did not like beer but thought since it was rare and drove for it she tried it. It was the first beer she liked and now will drink sours because of it. Was Very special to me.
    Bachelor party with friends we blind sample/tasted Dark Lord, Darkness and Abyss side by side.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  29. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

Funky Buddha's Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, FFF BA Dark Lord, and CC Hunahpu at Hunahpu's Day 2012.

30. Yellow Bus...Night of the Funk
    Konjaks! Stormaktsporter... Borefts 2012
    Framboos & 2002 Drie Fonteinen Vintage Oude Gueuze....with dear friends Jeroen & Ron

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  31. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

I've have to say anytime I'm tasting a beer at the brewery in the company of the brewer, it's a special experience. I've done this at Grey Sail, Squam, Jack's Abby, Idle Hands, Green Dragon, and Barrier to name a few. As a homebrewer, to be able to talk through the beer with the brewer and get some brewing tips in the process is priceless.

Vertical Epic day at Lord Hobo in Cambridge with two great friends was a close second.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  32. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

The one that comes to mind right now is Black Tuesday at last year's Pour it Black fest wiith my wife and some good friends. My wife liked it so much, she went back for 2 or 3 tasters of it. And I think that is what influenced her to want to join the Bruery Reserve Society this year;)

33. Hunahpu day last year, awesome trip with one of my best friends, getting to try HH DL, Wiskey Huna, Funky Budha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter and on and on and on and on

34. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (400) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Couple things come to mind from a Wild Beer Fest last summer...

Fou Foune (Draft)
    50n 4e
    Flaming Fury
    '94 Rose de Gambrinus
    Open Container
    Framboise for a Cure
    Wild One
    Armand Winter, Spring and Summer

...many other great brews as well...only thing I really missed out on was a Southampton Black Raspberry Lambic

35. "due to a special event..." i think the only time that's applicable is when my boss brought some PtE back from GABF. other than that, the only other "events" i've been to were tap takeovers at work.

36. Several rare & vintage krieks, frambois, and gueze at Night of the Kriek at Eb's in August. This past weekend - every Allagash special/koelschip release in one evening, with homemade waterzooi and Belgian waffles. Had been trying to put that one together for 2 years. The 4 of us couldn't quite get through them all, though. Just as well - they will stand by for Round Two!

LostTraveler and CLively like this.
  37. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Most recently someone brought a Beachwood BBQ Tovarish to my radio show's 1st Anniversary celebration a few weeks back. Ever since then I have been on a fiend's mission to find more, easily one of the best coffee stouts I've had in quite a while.

38. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Either Moe's bender by surly or...

a 1994 Cantillion cherry (kriek?)
    same day as all 4 of the spring summer fall winter sour series. mmm...$200 beer...so good.
    Also same day, 3F guezue from 03' 04' 05' 07' 09' 11' 12'...that was epic.

all blew my socks off. (as most sours do)

39. witness

witness Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 12, 2009

Pinocchio's in Media, PA always has stellar events. This one in particular was an Allagash tasting from last year i believe. To add to the awesomeness that is Allagash, the owners decided to open up some bottles from their own personal stash. Boy did they open some good ones. I was able to try some of the coolship series, but the big one for me was Victor Francenstein! I felt very lucky to part of that tasting

victory4me and erikl48 like this.