1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the best beer you've had the privilege of tasting at a special event?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bodhi imperial IPA at cincy winter beer fest.

2. At Beervana back in October they had a limited supply of Utopias available starting at a specific time during the event. We saw the line forming, it was quite lenghty but moving very quickly. We hoped in and in no time we had a pour of, I believe the 2009 version. It was amazing (and I was expecting a big let down based on my experience with hyped stuff). So glad I got to try it! Also, big pat on that back to Beervana and Sam Adams who didn't charge an extra dime for the pour, it was all part of admission (as were a ton of other great brews).

3. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Good People's El Gordo Russian Imperial Stout at the Magic City Brewfest.

4. I'm going to presume that you work in a bar. We don't have tap take-overs where I work. Come to think of it, we don't even have taps. :(

bastu likes this.
  5. Real Belgian waffes, that's almost as exciting as the beer itself!

6. Victor Franc was the best of our tasting as well, we all agreed. And the Mattina Rossa actually had some carbonation - what a treat.

7. i do. we have 56 of them, so when i say "tap takeover" it's really like a quarter to a third of them.

8. 1969 KBS aged in westy barrels with a sour yeast strain added and butterfly tears added... so fuckin good. i drank it at the hopslam release with black tuesday and it was a full moon........

yamar68 likes this.
  9. Vera Mae and Society & Solitude #4 growlers.

10. erikl48

erikl48 Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jun 29, 2011

The younger for the first time was awesome...iron abbey on 611 in SE PA.

2nd, Fou Foune at Teresa's in Wayne.

3rd, lou Pepe Kriek at Blue Dog in Chalfont for their wealth of riches.

11. Ann

brewsader likes this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Too many tasters of great beer to pick something to write, but I do remember having full glasses side by side of CBS, KBS, FBS, and Black Biscuit at a tap takeover that was pretty enjoyable.

A night of drinking a new and unheard of beer on tap at Rattle N Hum also sticks out. Oh yeah, beer was Hunahpu's.

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  13. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

CCB Pilot Series (now Wakefield Brewing) Dragonfruit Passionfruit Berliner. For sure.

14. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

/thread

15. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

last year my first beer tasting with friends:

2008 Darkness

16. You and your brother have earned amazing beer experiences like that. You both have changed the beer drinking culture in the U.S for ever. Best I have had was at EBF 2011 when I had Meph Addict from Avery. My palate has never been the same. I am hoping that BA Plead the 5th will become the new one or one of the many other beers this year will. Two weeks tomorrow!

17. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

This one is a piece of piss. I'm a lucky, lucky, lucky bastard who got to try 1875 Allsopp's Arctic Ale. Though that wasn't the best beer at the event. That honour went to 1977 Courage Russian Stout.

vurt and jmgrub like this.
  18. Special Event? At a bbq for my return from Afghanistan last time, a great friend brought a bottle of Cuir. Great beer and a great time with a great friend. I can still taste that beer. Special event to me.

jmgrub likes this.
  19. say what? When did you have army of darkness?

20. A few months ago, after a crazy a night of tasting many vintage beers my friends day brought out a '94 Westy 12, a '94 Rochefort 10, and '94 Abt. 12 to finish the night off. Then I went to Ebenezers the next day. Great weekend.

21. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Cigar City Wild Guava Lychee Sour at 2011 Fruit In The Room
    Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter at 2012 Hunahpu Day
    Cigar City Cucumber Saison at Sustain Miami/Cigar City beer dinner in 2011 (the beer was originally done for this dinner, but was brewed again later and bottled)

Why, exactly, did I move from Florida?

22. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

De Struise Black Damnation VI - Messy

Very delicious and sessionable.

23. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Kate The Great at Kate Day last year
    Black Tuesday at the first BA Stout Trooper release thanks to the owner Rob
    CHEERS

smutty33 likes this.
  24. Some memorable examples at bottle shares:

Framboos
    Double Black
    1991 De Neve Gueuze

25. Wilb

Wilb Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 18, 2011

Michigan:
    Founders Bourbon Barrel Sumatra Brown
    Dark Horse Smells Like Weed

26. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

I think, if I am correctly translating Ron's words, that he wasn't saying that Army of Darkness was a "piece of piss," whatever that may mean in American English, but rather that his answer was easy to come up with, in this case because the experience of tasting 1875 Allsopp's Arctic Ale (I'm extremely jealous) was far and away the most special beer he's ever tasted at a tasting event. Piece of piss=piece of cake more or less.

27. patto1ro

I'm lucky enough to know the person who found a stash of them in the empty Allsopp's brewery.

28. Probably this at a tasting tonight.
    [​IMG]

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  29. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Yes, you are indeed a lucky^3 bastard.

30. How was the overall experience?

31. patto1ro

Truly magical.

The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) drank the same beer on a visit to Burton in the 1880's (with Winston Churchill's Amercian mother in tow).