1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the "best" light/low calorie beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MES10, Jun 26, 2013.

1. MES10

MES10 Zealot (90) Maryland Jun 1, 2013

I've cut back on good beer due to the calories and carbs, so I'm looking for the best tasting low calorie/low carb beer I can find. I know this is a tall order, but what do you recommend?
  2. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

3. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Less table sugar/HFCS... Basically anything with a lot of fructose in it. In other words: less fructose means less fatty fat fat.

Lift heavy things.
    Shroud0fdoom and YogiBeer like this.
  4. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

search the sessionable beer threads.... that's your best bet.

I'm drinking growler of sixpoint citra and loving it. relative to my usual habits, 6% abv is low cal :rolleyes:
    DrStiffington likes this.
  5. MES10

MES10 Zealot (90) Maryland Jun 1, 2013

Thanks Coach.

I do exercise and lift weights, but maintaining a healthy weight is based largely on diet so...anyone have any good suggestion for a decent light beer?
  6. I don't think they exist :)
    KS1297 and SMITHAND like this.
  7. LukeH

LukeH Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 5, 2013

Here is my recommendation; don't touch beer or "bad" food 5 or 6 days of the week, then, eat and drink what you want on the 6th or 7th.

Honestly, trying to drink "lighter" beers usually backfires, as you just end up drinking more of them to make up the difference.
  8. Drink less.......Eat healthy........SNPA is pretty low in calories and there are some others. Lower alcohol also has less calories.

Enjoy
  9. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

10. Agreed except don't go apeshit on the weekend and make up all the calories you cut out during the week lol
    Anything with a decent amount of alcohol and body will be north of 300 calories so you can't drink everyday. As with most 'diet' foods, they have less calories but you will have to have an iron will to stop at one session beer because your buzz/taste buds will not be satisfied

It's hard to answer the original question because I have no idea what beers have what calories but wheat beers and saisons seem like they would be lighter. Or maybe a nice low abv pale ale/ipa like Founders All Day
    LukeH likes this.
  11. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Nobody has said Guinness yet?
    What gives, its like the lowest calorie beer you can find, aside from BMC yellow water.
  12. spoony

spoony Advocate (515) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

Obviously, the more you burn, the more room you'll have to add fuel (aka beer), so exercise is good.

But to actually answer your question, your easiest bet for fewer calories (not necessarily fewer carbs, but calories) is to cut down on the ABV. Thus, the suggestion for session beers is a good one.

I like Belgians and some good low-ABV beers I have had recently include Avril (a saison by Dupont) and Weltmerz (a sour by De Struise).

13. Wheat will have more carbs......I think Guiness draft might be your best option.

Enjoy
  14. Broanoke

Broanoke Savant (350) Virginia Feb 23, 2013

Listen to rowsdower
    anglagard1, BorisKarloff and LukeH like this.
  15. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (465) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

No such thing. Just drink less craft or buy a gym membership.
    Haydn-Juby likes this.
  16. aty11b

aty11b Savant (250) Texas Mar 25, 2013

i dont always drink "light" adjunct lagers but when I do I drink dos equis
  17. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Savant (265) Arizona Jun 10, 2013

I'd echo most of the advise already given on drinking half as much good stuff, etc.

That being said Sam Adams Light isn't a terrible beer at all. In the end you're only saving maybe 20-40% in carbs and calories by drinking light beer over a lot of decent regular brews. Beer is full of carbs and calories, period. It's like eating cookies. Instead of saying "I need to buy the bad tasting "light" version" of a food which is inherantly bad for you without moderation just exercise that moderation and eat/drink the stuff that's good enough to splurge on from time to time.
    anglagard1 likes this.
  18. Lambic...
    So much better than crap beer and without those nasty carbs!
  19. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

20. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

A high carb beer here and there will not hurt you but if you're having 2-3 or more a day you will start to have an issue. Cheers.
  21. TommyLiam

Still full of sugar which is what carbs turn into eventually anyway.
  22. wrong.. in actual gueze or a well attenuated kriek there are almost no residual sugars.
    Besides I wouldn't recommend lindeman's pasteurized fruit beers to ANYONE.
    Shroud0fdoom and TommyLiam like this.
  23. HighWine

HighWine Savant (325) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I'm not much of a light beer drinker but I recall Sam Adams Light being the best of the bunch about 4 years ago. Biscuity nose and sweet malt flavor you don't get in other light beers.
  24. TommyLiam

I stand corrected. Thanks for the gently administered learning opportunity.
  25. HighWine

HighWine Savant (325) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Residual sugars or not, beers are all carbs because the main ingredient is grain. Like a delicious bowl of fermented breakfast cereal.
  26. Guinness I guess....

Just destroy yourself in the gym and keep enjoying your beer dude.
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  27. tone77

tone77 Advocate (570) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009

It's slim picking here, Sankaty Light from Cisco ain't bad. Otherwise Bud Light Lime or Sam Adams Light offer a bit of flavor.
  28. According to my calorie app thing All Day IPA is like, 145 calories. I begin there.

29. This is what I did a while back and lost a bunch of weight. I also started exercising but it sounds like you have that taken care of already. For me being really healthy 5 days of the week and eating/drinking whatever I wanted on the weekends was a more enjoyable option than being pseudo-healthy 7 days a week.
    LukeH likes this.
  30. Yeah, they both have their merits for trying to be healthy and enjoy yourself. Honestly, I'm way more into the mantra of "diet to be thin, exercise to enjoy yourself" so I'm all about the daily beer to relax and treat myself. Between solid dieting and consistent trips to the gym I've killed eight pounds and a waistline inch in just three weeks and I think there's been maybe two days over that period I didn't have a beer. A handful of those days I put down full bombers/750mLs too.
  31. Right but as far as beer goes in general, lambic is probably the best example of a beer that won't add to simple carbs or sugars and cause instant weight gain. Much better than most light beers even( which are not worthy of discussing IMO). Isn't that what this thread asked for?
  32. Dark Lord???
    joelwlcx likes this.
  33. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

I recommend drinking whatever you think tastes best...just less of it. Why sacrifice quality for quantity?
    DropDead likes this.
  34. Geez.....lots of people assuming the OP needs exercise tips, all s/he did was ask for tips with a lower calorie beer. Classic BA.

Anyway OP, I don't know the calorie count, but Stone Levitation has a low abv and I would think is pretty light on calories. Most importantly, it's delicious.
    topofthehops likes this.
  35. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

When I want lighter I drink Ultra or Miller lite, and I'm still walking so you won't be poisoned. IMO better than Bud Light or Coors light. I'm in that need to cut back stage too, but it will have to wait until after beach week and I pig out on the HT I've been saving. Ultra is inoffensive, obviously as light as a beer can be made, and no guilt drinking one if cutting back or carbs and calories is the goal, but you still want a cold one.
  37. To be honest is Bud Light and Guinness. I drink both of these when I want something low cal.
  38. Decent session beer, around 180 calories per Imperial pint. Well made ones are satisfying in themselves, after a while you wonder why you bothered with strong beers.Though they are so refreshing and moorish you do get tempted to drink rather a lot :)
    Providence and AlcahueteJ like this.
  39. As people have mentioned lower ABV beers are usually lower in calories. I use the rate beer site to get a rough estimate on the calories per 12 ounce serving.

Personally I end up going for lower ABV stouts when I'm counting calories. Sam Smith chocolate stout comes to mind. Tastes like it has way more calories then it does.

Edit: I should also mention the Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout too. Another great lower calorie stout.
  40. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Now that the lectures are over, try Yuengling Light Lager. About 100 calories a pop and definitely more tasty than Miller/Coors/Bud Light.
    Providence and Mattco like this.