1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the craziest beer you have had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by smitherz22, Dec 20, 2012.

1. The other day I was drinking a Belgian Style IPA, brewed with Brett, and aged in some kind of wine barrel. It was OUTSTANDING! Just a second ago I saw a stout brewed with oyster shells. I have a black, smoked Saison in my cupboard right next to a bourbon barrel aged barley wine. It seems like craft brew might be getting ready to jump the shark! What's next? ...I have no friggin idea, but I can't wait to drink it! What's the craziest beer you have had, BA land?

2. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I had this crazy beer the other day that was brewed with water, yeast, malts, and hops. It's crazy because that's all they used and it was balanced. I was like, "Whoa."

3. oyster stouts are actually throwbacks, it's not a new thing.

The weirdest beer I had was the pickle beer from Wormtown a few EBFs ago. It tasted as good as one could expect a pickle beer to taste.

4. Check out Dogfish Head, man. They are really creative.

5. j47paco

j47paco Savant (360) California Dec 19, 2010

[​IMG]

I though this beer was pretty crazy...crazy awesome!

6. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Am I the only person who finds the smoked saison to be the only "crazy" beer mentioned, or am I just that desensitized? As for the craziest beer(s) I've had, that award would have to go to Southern Tier's Blackwater Series. I never knew you could bottle diabetes.

7. 21st Ammendment has an oyster stout right now. Might have to grab a box...

8. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Elevator Ghost Scorpion Lager.

Someone tell the story of the firkin filled with extra scorpion peppers. I need to hear again how many people threw up.

9. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Whatever happened to beer that just tasted like beer? Why does everybody get so excited when brewers add a bunch of stuff to a beer and then age it in a barrel made for some other beverage? I love drinking different kinds of beer(ales, lagers, sours, etc) but why does the hype machine go apeshit every time a brewer comes up with some 14% ABV barrel aged beer infused with cocoa, vanilla, coffee, turkey gizzards and macaroni? Why is there no celebration of well done traditional beer regardless of the style.

mackeyse, kingofhop, JohnB87 and 3 others like this.
  10. I think it jumped the shark when beard yeast and pages of a book were seen as valid ingredients.

11. rocdoc1

Beard yeast or bread yeast?

12. i don't see how the original post relates to "jumping the shark." beer is constantly experimenting and innovating - that's part of what makes this such an exciting time. ya, there are some misses, but i'm really happy with where craft beer is and is going, on the whole.

ABisonEgo, bird22, SageO and 8 others like this.
  13. rocdoc1

14. It is delicious. Great stout

15. I believe brew dog jumped the shark when they put beer in a taxidermied squirrel

16. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

because there are LOTS of celebrations any time this (a well done representation of style) happens. It doesn't mean that people can't also get exicted about innovation. go back to your cave, grumblebear.

docrates, luwak and CA_Infidel2o9 like this.
  17. YogiBeer

18. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

Sand Creek - Black Belgian Barley Wine.

Or as I like to call it a black bbw

Potemkin and UnderJoath like this.
  19. Potemkin

Potemkin Aspirant (35) California Dec 21, 2012

20. chekako

chekako Zealot (80) New Jersey Dec 28, 2007

True. that is starting to get a little over done. But some are amazing.

BTW. Voodoo doughnut. most peculiar and craziest beer ever tasted

21. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I had this beer once where they followed this animal around and waited for it to take a dump. Then they polished those turds and brewed up some beer with it.

BeerKangaroo and YogiBeer like this.
  22. I dont get whats wrong with trying new things. We wouldnt have anything in this world if it wasnt for people trying new things.

sjverla likes this.
  23. spitshaded

spitshaded Savant (345) Virginia Nov 12, 2012

I didn't realize that oyster stouts were such an old style & had the same thought when I saw them. Kind of one of those things that make you wonder how someone thought of it in the first place. I feel like I should try one though, just to know what it's like.

Btw- When I saw the title of this thread it crossed my mind that it could be the name of a new Rogue beer brewed with pieces of shark, water skis & Fonzie's jacket.

smitherz22 and luwak like this.
  24. Craft beer jumped the shark when the Brewers Association decided to blacklist those they deemed unworthy. Just let people brew what they want and drink what they want.

JxExM, NiceFly, luwak and 1 other person like this.
  25. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

26. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Because I have no clue what you were talking about I had to Google it.

"The usage of 'jump the shark' has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment in its evolution when a brand, design, or creative effort moves beyond the essential qualities that initially defined its success, beyond relevance or recovery."

In this context, I've yet to experience said beer. Maybe this describes Stone 020202 in a few months.

27. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Pray tell, what is this mysterious concoction of which you speak? I'll have to seek that out.

28. YogiBeer

I just realized... who cares about what the brewers association says?

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  29. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Oh, JUMPING the shark... totally read that wrong. I was about to ask why you would ever do such a thing to a shark.

30. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I don't see what the big deal is nothing that can hurt you can live in beer. I'll drink any beer once and if someone handed me a glass of OPB I wouldn't hesitate to drink it. I never thought people could be so afraid of a vagina. Btw ISO: OPB. FT: Moby Dick White Whale Ale :D

ADTaber likes this.
  31. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Considering the number of US craft breweries that are up and running and in the planning stage the type of fast-forwarded beer style evolution that we are seeing is a good thing, with so many breweries that clamor for the attention of the consumer there needs to be plenty of points of distinction. Although I wonder whether we will see a pattern of temporary stability intersected by shifting fashions and trends in beer sales as the number of breweries start to plateu and the number of new beer styles (or combinations of ingredients) likewise start to slow down. I guess within craft beer as a product category IPAs might establish and maintain a dominant position whilst other styles vie for the position as the second most popular style, third most popular etc. It's an interesting topic to ponder.

I could also imagine that the interest for low abv beers would intensify further as a counterpoint to the higher abv beers. One thing that I'm wondering about is whether macro lagers will see a revival at some point rather than follow a continous downward trajectory, similar to what happened with Pabst Blue Ribbon when it was on its last legs. This is me being the lagerhead that I am though and having an interest in the history of industrial beer production and mass-marketed beer brands (and American adjunct lagers has a history as interesting as any other style or country's beer traditions, imo). Such a counter-reaction or counter-behavior might come even if craft beer hasn't yet reached a considerable market share, the mere perception or percieved success of craft beer might generate this counter-reaction. This is pure speculation on my part, but it's an interesting point to consider I think, could the tide yet again turn in favor of macro lagers? Or perhaps the craft beer movement will be able to house within itself those beer drinkers who want a basic lager beer that is brewed well, true to style and balanced in flavor (as more and more breweries seem to offer various pale lager beers and pilsner beers in their line-up, a development which I find to be really exciting, having only tried some amber and dark lagers from American craft breweries myself as of yet but no straight up pale lager or pilsner beer iterations).

32. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I think there is a place for traditional, well-balanced beers AND creative, envelope-pushing beers. It's a nice spectrum that keeps the beer world so exciting yet reliable. So, I guess my answer is that it hasn't jumped the shark because there are still traditional brewers providing stability amidst crazy brews that don't always work.

rocdoc1 and luwak like this.
  33. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

34. rocdoc1

I homebrew most of the beer I drink, and I am always trying new styles and ingredients. But I'm talking about how the hype machine goes wild over over high ABV, barrel aging, and strange ingredients. I just looked at the top 25 beers on BA-only 5 are below 8% ABV, 15 are above 10%. Surely there are exciting innovations to be made on beers you can drink more than 2 of at one time.

35. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Yup, I was wasting time at work and this convinced me to get back to the old grind...

36. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You have to give breweries a break. When I walk into my beer shops there are literally a thousand beers to choose from, so you can't blame them for doing what they can to stand out in a crowd. That said there are breweries that stand out by just making the best beer in a given style, but not all are so lucky.

fredmugs and TheLostGringo like this.
  37. Dogfishead.

RobertColianni likes this.
  38. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

as said above, when brewers actually resort to something as pathetic as brewing something with a bull's testicles and then of course giving it a sophomoric name.

Yeah, there's more American craft beer "innovation". :rolleyes: