1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the craziest beer you have had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by smitherz22, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Spoken like a truly sane individual. Which begs the question, wtf are you doing on BA?!

2beerdogs and luwak like this.
  2. Brooklyn's Pre-Prohibition Lager!

3. SPIT beer .... case closed

4. Gross!

5. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

Agreed. When the intention of the beer is more about the marketing spin than it is about the quality of the beer, I think they've jumped the shark.

yemenmocha likes this.
  6. Brewing is, in part, a creative process, and as such, will always attract a certain niche of envelop-pushers. Some of these brewers will make awesome, eye-opening concoctions that will become the next big thing on the market. Others will brew with bull testicles.

Either way, it's unlikely to encroach on the mainstream styles. For every beer that hits the market in the corpse of a taxidermied squirrel, there are 7,000 new IPA's, brewed precisely to style guidelines, and things like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Stone Ruination will be on shelves for a very, very, very long time.

7. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

Miller Lite. It's triple hopped man!

8. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Spontankoppi from Mikkeller (coffee Lambic)

afrokaze likes this.
  9. well i think the craziest beer was Firestone Double DBA aged w/brett funk was just too much they told me it was an experiment but think it went bad cause it was just way off
    also had Ladyface Cheesebro Double IPA w/mango and ghost pepper dust and this was really good although it was so spicy/hot it burned the back of your throat
    The craziest worst beer i have ever had was Southern Tier Creme brulee just odd tasted like a butterscotch candy and just was way too much

10. I recently had a beer brewed with Brussels sprouts and smoked meat...horrible is an understatement

devlishdamsel likes this.
  11. I like to call it terrible.

12. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

Insanity. It was insane.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  13. I had an Evil Twin beer made with smoked spanish ham that was pretty good. Brussel sprouts are awful though.

14. breugal

breugal Initiate (15) Dec 18, 2012

I agree that we should celebrate traditional styles and that some beers are a gimmick. But innovation is a beautiful thing. In the us we are lucky to have this strong innovative spirit without the cultural restrictions. We need something new. Aging beer cider etc gives them a unique character. In some cases its downright brilliant. But at the end of the day what does any of this matter? Beer should taste delicious. That is the only thing that matters to me.

15. Rogue's Voodoo Maple Ale...ehhhh

16. Out of all the ideas i have seen ever none of them seem wrong because its trying simething new but Rogue wand the moby book pages is just plain stupid

17. Sour Spruce ale - a homebrew by a buddy who is also a professional brewer in MI. This was not only one of the craziest, but one of my favorites. He cut fresh spruce tips right outside his home brew house. Aged it in the carboy for 3 years, soured it, then cold aged it in the keg for another two. As someone who likes to run around in the Northern MI backwoods, this completely reminded me of that dank earthiness that you experience in a pine forest right after a rain. It was delicious. Other than that, probably Voodoo Maple Bacon, which is actually pretty good when grilling dinner over a campfire. That backwoods thing again I guess.

18. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Wacko is pretty odd.

19. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

A few beers from Jolly Pumpkin would make my list. Madrugada Obscura (sour stout) and just recently de Viento (sour coffee saison) which are both excellent.

20. I keep hearing this was a bad idea. Because i have a super sensitive palate, i would NEVER pay to try this. I am worried if i try it i would have to pay to undo the effects anyhow. I am sort of with anyone on here who says beer should taste like beer. Its ok in my opinion if it contains a hint of something to enhance it, but when the additives overpower the beer, is it even beer anymore?

21. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Rage by Greenbush. About 15% Black IPA. Monster. Scary, and scary good.

22. ISO: BA Candida Vag Saison

23. Had some Bacon Brown Ale, Uncommon Brewers. The last thing you expect is a finish with a subtle bacon taste. Very weird but not bad

24. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

+1 to this...most unique

25. Oh, but I have had Brooklyn's Concoction and that was nuts, also very good IMO.

26. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Brother Levonian w/Sansho Buttons. Definite mouth numbing properties. Gonna have a few of these before my next dental appointment.

27. Chai stout from a brewpub. And it was phenomenal.

28. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Are you referring to chicha? Which is basically beer thousands of years old in style?
    So it jumped the sharked centuries ago?

29. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Luwak beers are among my favorites! i drank one yesterday!
    (and there are several beers using these beans)

but really this is only strange if you didn't know that ti was a "thing" in coffee before ppl decided to use those coffee beans in beer.

30. Tart of Darkness and Ta Henkett. Both like nothing I've ever had before or since.

31. Had this last night(with a different label) and it was amazing!!! Liquid indian food!!

32. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

33. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

34. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

No moutain oyster stout fans? Pisgah Bacon?

35. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Funky Jewbelation...in a good way

36. dipaguy

dipaguy Aficionado (200) Florida Feb 20, 2011

Ginger Lemongrass from the Funky Buddha

37. Stillwater bronze age was like whoa who just served me this meat pie in a glass....but TA Henket was just weird & bad...in a bad way.

38. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

I was fortunate enough to find Wake n Bake aged in red wine barrels while in Pittsburg this Fall. I wasn't sure the two would mix well... In the end, it was the sum of its parts, no more no less. Coffee stout and red wine. Interesting, but not worth repeating.