1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the deal with "Ann?"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mikeincharleston, Jul 22, 2012.

1. I think the biggest issue with his review is it was a small pour and about 50% yeasty dregs, hardly an ideal sample to base a review on.

2. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

haha, oh wow, now you're going to tell us what an "ideal sample" is? Please, go on....

3. To start not one where you say you "went full bore on the yeast" would be a good start.

4. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

Brendan isn't dumb enough to do something that misguided. Awkward at times? Perhaps. A bad dancer? Almost certainly. But stupid? Nope.

pschul4 likes this.
  5. Just going by what he said in this thread.

6. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

It's like I stepped into some alternate universe BA around here sometimes.

GuisseppeFranco and afksports like this.
  7. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

No replies in ISO:FT. The anger must vent somewhere. (I've been beating my cats)

8. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Unless I have a reading comprehension problem, he said he had two pours - one from the middle of the bottle and one of the dregs. I think it is reasonable to assume he had enough to form an opinion of the beer. I'm guessing a perfect 5 rating from the dregs would have been A-OK?

This thread has entertained me for 20 minutes while bored at work, but it's only beer, people. Relax.

Jparkanzky and MarkIntihar like this.
  9. jisom123

jisom123 Savant (330) Indiana Aug 21, 2008

Ha! give the little guys a kick for me.

10. I couldn't figure if he drank the 2 pours seperately or combined them, but his review clearly says he poured the yeasty dregs into his glass. Either way it is his opinion of the beer and that is pretty much it.

11. That flash of insight just blinded me. I need to go out and get a cane.

12. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

AFK! You tasted 5 and u know it! Now go change that review....now! Or BA city is in terrible danger!

vermont and afksports like this.
  13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

Wow, Brendan is famous. If I knew that giving a less than glowing review for a hyped beer would result in such hilarity, I would've started chipping down my review backlog by starting with my 1414 review!

14. You don't have to defend your review. People take this WAY too seriously sometimes...thank God nobody came after me for my horrible reviews of Jaw-Jacker or French Oak Jose Marti.

15. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Had 6 oz. this weekend - and yes Ann is "perfection." Having said that…sometimes perfection isn't terribly interesting. (Even the blue-label Arthur that was opened beforehand while not nearly as flawless was probably more compelling in the end.)

16. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (630) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

mm...blue label Arthur....

17. afksports

afksports Savant (410) New York Aug 22, 2010

19. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (550) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Agreed. Just think of me during one of the sips.

20. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Is a perfect saison as "good" as a perfect stout? Probably not. Unless you are Mr. Saison =)

ilovermont likes this.
  21. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Goddamn 1%ers. #OccupyBA

franklinn likes this.
  22. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Disclaimer: I'm sure Ann is an amazingly awesome beer BUT.....

It's nice to see its average score finally settle to a believable 4.75.

23. Disclaimer: based on the bottle I opened this week, Ann is the most hyped beer to exist, period.

Ann, like most HF offerings, is a delicious beer, however I'd be super bummed if I traded or paid an arm and a leg for it.

We read some reviews afterward and had to LOL at how fluffy/outrageous some of them were.

Carry on :)

24. It's also possible it was phenomenal fresh and has dropped off very quickly. There's a few sensible reviewers I trust in there that gave it pretty high scores.

25. Good post. "Hey let me bump this old to say this beer is really hyped but I thought it was delicious."

26. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

what you're exhibiting here (getting caught up in so-called "hype", other people's opinions, perceptions of "value", etc) is more of the problem than people asking a lot for their bottle of ann, or giving it an all 5 review (even if the beer isn't all that great).

this whole subsection of the forum and the "trading community" as a whole would be elevated by several orders of magnitude if everyone read and understood this post. your attitude matters, people. people aren't selling $200 bottles of beer because it secretly has cocaine in it, they're selling $200 bottles of muled beer because OMG everyone says this one is the best but IIIIII say it's not so great but i have to try that other one and... [trails off]

cavedave and MordorMongo like this.
  27. MordorMongo

ISO : $200 bottle of cocaine beer

franklinn, cavedave and Pahn like this.
  28. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Wow our brew club is looking for unconventional ingredients.

Into boil, primary, or secondary? I'm thinking maybe a nice Saison? Barleywine?

MordorMongo likes this.
  29. Nah man, you've got to dry-base it...

quirkzoo likes this.
  30. Sometimes i ask for my pumpkinhead glass to be rimmed in the devil's dandruff

31. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

32. MordorMongo

JulianB and huskermike12 like this.
  33. MordorMongo

Only idiots drink walez, bro.

34. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

35. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Her?

libbey and eyemustard like this.
  36. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

AutumnBeerLove likes this.
  37. Maybe people can get to FFF more easily so they don't mind going to get something to trade, but HF is a pain to get to, so people don't drive there just to get something to trade, they get something to drink

38. MordorMongo

Can anyone tell me.....is HF a pain to get to? I am starting to think it isn't easy and is literally in the middle of nowhere. I mean it's almost like their beers don't command a premium they justly deserve for being so hard to access.

crushedvol likes this.
  39. You don't even know man. The street sign for the dirt road was missing for a long time. The hill Farmstead sign is probably 5"x5" and visible only after you've passed it. You basically have to follow the growler line to find the place. The neighbor doesnt even know there is a brewery there.

40. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Full disclosure: I've had Ann. I greatly enjoyed Ann. I do not have anymore Ann. I would not give up the ridiculous things people are asking to have Ann again.

Yes, you're completely right. People over-sell the difficulty of getting Hill Farmstead beer. At the same time, it really is a pain to get to the brewery for most of us. I don't see nearly as much backlash about complaints of how hard it is to get to Russian River or wherever else. Everyone overvalues their beer and their time. Hill Farmstead beers are not the only ones that this is happening to.... (ex: KH, Rare, BCBVS, CBS and now pretty much anything "brewery only" or "limited")

Combine the insanely high demand, the fact that almost everything they make is exceptionally tasty, the extremely low bottle counts of many of their releases, and the relatively small number of people willing to go and get them and you get ridiculous posts like the one above. FT: Ann ISO: Wale + Another Wale.

Haven't you guys heard the Hill Farmstead traders cartel plan for BA domination?

Step 1: Buy Hill Farmstead beer
    Step 2: ...
    Step 3: Walez

All joking aside, I hope nobody actually gives up a BA DL and a Blabaer, but with the way things are going it might actually happen. 90% of us that go to Hill Farmstead just really enjoy drinking their beer and spreading the love whenever possible. The other 10% make us look bad.