1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the deal with "Ann?"

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mikeincharleston, Jul 22, 2012.

1. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Luckily the release day growler line is visible for several miles before you have to turn onto the road the brewery is on.
  2. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

I think I am going to move out of Portland to the middle of nowhere in Oregon. That way, for every Portland release, I can use the excuse that I had to drive so far to get the beer so it is clearly worth way more than the sale price. I would be well on my way to having walez in no time!
    chase2634, cosmicevan and kscaldef like this.
  3. stevec32

stevec32 Savant (355) New York Mar 26, 2012

If people are actually bringing that up when trading HF then maybe you have a point however I havent seen it. What I have seen is people complaining that they put up an ISO for HF and got crickets. Then someone who has been to "The Farm" explains that due to the fact that its in the middle of nowhere and they have small bottle limits the people who go typically want to drink the beer they got. Therefor if you want to convince someone to trade something they wernt planning on trading you might have to overpay.

So basicly if you moved out of portland it may take more to pry those bottles from your hands but no one would need to trade with you since all the other portland traders are also options. With Hill Farmsted there are literaly no locals.
  4. Why won't this thread just die? I think we will have to make a concerted effort to drink every last bottle of Ann so that we can be done with this once and for all.

PS, I have had Ann. It was good, not amazing. I would much rather trade for Mimosa and Norma. Both better beers.

I will report back with the bottle number we consumed. Maybe we can start a list of the bottle numbers until we have gone through all 180 of them...:p
    HopsHopenstein and LoPo87 like this.
  5. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Ahh ok. So all breweries should move into the middle of nowhere as to increase their hype. Got it.

Sarcasm man. There have been plenty of people on these boards claiming the drive to the brewery, time spent in line camping out, state tax etc. factor into the value of the beer they possess. Not only HF beers either. I was mainly poking fun at that BA DL + Blabaer ISO though. And come on, us Portland people hoard all of our beer for ourselves. We don't trade any of it :D
    franklinn likes this.
  6. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

literally is a strong word ;)
    brooklynbrews likes this.
  7. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Prying beer from Portland folk is the only thing I can compare to HF bottles! ;)
    DavoleBomb and sarro like this.
  8. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

I tried setting up so many pre-trades after first trying Ann in May. I think I had 5-6 fall through.
    That was when there were only 2 reviews up and I "strategically" didn't put my own up.
    Didn't help much...
  9. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Yeah, I remember your ISO's being pretty generous... I assumed you'd gotten one done. Ann is obviously getting pretty out of hand.

But so is "shelf beer" like Geneology of Morals. That is what we're doing now, right? Calling any beer that's ever been on a shelf "shelf beer?" Did I do that right?

ISO: Geneology of Morals FT: My shelf beer $4$ of course
    franklinn likes this.
  10. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Beer is overrated anyways
  11. MordorMongo

12. Trading HF to them seems to work really well.
    LoPo87 and vonnegut21 like this.
  13. MordorMongo

I thought all the toil and trouble to get those HF was to drink them, not trade them?

Mind. Blown.
  14. It's a tough comprimise when my other favorite brewery is Upright. I assure you I've been drinking gallons of HF in the past few weeks. Had an Everett tonight. Nom nom yo

15. While I have appreciated your replies and posts in the past; this god damn takes the cake. If only mayonegg was an ingredient to cake, I'd bake you one.

Egg? All of the upvotes to you sir.
    AutumnBeerLove likes this.
  16. But I still have my Ann! I've tasted it before, and love it.
  17. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I can only think of one reason you'd bring this topic back up...... and if I stated that reason, I'd probably take an involuntary, yet lengthy vacation from this forum.
    franklinn and stxSS07 like this.
  18. It's not what you think :eek:!
  19. I can vouch for Kevin and his brother. They have a nice cellar and just try to trade duplicates they have collected over time for items they haven't tried. He may be a bit of a homer ( :)) , but he has no intention of trading that bottle and inflating it's "value".

Sorry Kevin, I still stand by my comment:

And I will update the thread with my bottle number so we can start killing these bottles off, hopefully forever. I am not under the impression they will age extremely well either. I love Peche N Brett (no, not trading any of my remaining bottles that I have fought for on these forums...), but again, it likely won't survive the test of time. These are not ageless lambics...
  20. Thank you sir! And your post was the main reason I commented. I'm unsure how it will age, and often wonder if there's a reason that so few bottles have wax on them from HF...maybe it's a hint.

And yes, I am a homer: HT > Pliny. Jack's Abby rules!
  21. Hill Topper = Pliny

We have done that tasting over and over again. A fresh Pliny is as good or better than Hill Topper. Hill Topper is as good or better than Pliny. The argument is really moot. Both great beers. I would say that RRB is way better than Alchemist. Their other IPA/DIPA offerings are way better than anything else Alchemist makes. And they make world class sours too. Some of RRB's best beers never leave the state (Compunction, Hopfather, Framboise for a Cure).

Jack's Abbey is very good, but they make a very limited number of styles. Time will tell on those guys. PS, where is my Kiwi Rising bottles you guys owe me?;)

Now if you are talking about HF's other beers that are not bottled (Edward, Abner, What is Enlightenment, S&S #5), NOW you are talking. Those are better than almost anything out there. Only Alpine and some other limited offerings from the Pizza Ports measure up IMO. We need a poll, insert here:
  22. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Last I knew Jack's Abby currently makes more styles than Alchemist does, but I'm not sure how the number of beer styles a brewery makes is a good way to judge one.
  23. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I see that you are from California... I'm really NOT trying to be condescending, but what else from The Alchemist have you had? Did you visit the brewpub before the flood? They made amazing beer and an amazing number of styles. Not trying to put down russian river at all (everything I've had from them has been a treat) or change your mind. Just wondering where you're coming from on this statement :)

p.s. I have a couple of FfaC headed my way that I'm very excited to try!
  24. I think it's being brewed as we speak.
  25. Let me know what you think of the FFaC.