1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the deal with Sixpoint?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dick783, Feb 1, 2013.

1. dick783

dick783 Aficionado (215) New York Sep 26, 2004

When Sixpoint first came to town I was all excited. The cans looked awesome, they had great names, I loved the styles they were doing, and the Bro's rated almost all of them as world class! Then I bought the beer. I started with Bengali Tiger, and was horribly let down. So I thought ok, maybe IPA's aren't their thing, and I moved on to The Crisp...and was horribly let down again. And it went on like this. I ended up trying every can available for no other reason than I wanted to like them, and found that I didn't just not like them, I found them all to have this horribly off putting copper flavor in them. Diesel just tasted like Bengali Tiger with black food coloring. When they released Resin I gave them one last shot, and although it wasn't terrible, it really wasn't anything I would drink again, so I just gave up on them.

Is it just something in their beers that doesn't jive with me? There was a thread on here a while ago about possible issues with brewing at the Lion facility and they were going to fix it. Did they used to be good, had a bunch of issues when I was trying them, and are better now? We just got 3Beans locally, and even after being let down by all there beers I still wanted to buy it. But for almost $20 a 4 pack there is no way I'm gonna gamble on ending up with something like Autumnation again.

So are they just a bunch of Snake Oil salesmen with awesome marketing but a product that just doesn't deliver, or did I hit them during a bad time and should give them another go because they really do deserve those "world class" ratings?
  2. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I can't speak for any of their beers other than Resin, but it's a fantastic DIPA and one of my favorites. Maybe their brews just don't mesh with your palate, not sure. A lot of people like Resin.
  3. I haven't gotten six point in a couple months, but I was a fan of them, Bengali tiger being one of my favorites from them. Maybe your taste buds don't jive well with their beer. We are human, therefor having our own tastes.
  4. I second Resin
    Squidly, CanisMajor and fujindemon74 like this.
  5. I have liked all the ones I have tried... Some breweries have a signature taste and maybe you just don't care for theirs. Im definitely gonna be getting 3Beans although 20$ is steep, Im expecting to see it around 15$
  6. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I love their Righteous Ale and thought Bengali Tiger, the Crisp, and Apollo were all good. The only one I've had and didn't like was Sweet Action, but it's really not my kind of beer.
  7. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

I've had the Bengali and Resin. Both pretty good beers, but nothing that demands the price they charge ($8 or $9 a 4 pack)
    mackeyse likes this.
  8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I've tried Resin, and even as someone who is not a big IPA fan, I liked it.

I've heard good things about it, so I picked up a 4-pack of 3Bean today, although for $12.99. $20 seems outrageous.
  9. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Trust your taste buds - if you don't dig, you don't dig - doesn't necessarily mean they brewery/beer is bad.

I'm at the same point with Bells - I know they make good beer but I just don't like them. Appreciate their craft even if it's not for me I guess is the way I look at it.
  10. PSUDREW

PSUDREW Savant (445) Pennsylvania Jun 14, 2002

weren't they manufactured @ the Lion for a while? Maybe that's it?
  11. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

$8 a four pack is to high? I don't see anything wrong with that
    Fantasy_Factory and aasher like this.
  12. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I got a 4 pack of 3Beans yesterday for ~$15 before tax and am very pleased. Its a damn good take on a Baltic Porter.

The only gripe I have with them is they don't really tell you the style of the beer on the label.
    dan027 and aasher like this.
  13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've had quite a few beers of theirs, thanks Joey. and yeah, there's a signature taste to them but I dug 'em. Especially The Crisp. I'm sorry you don't like what they put out.
  14. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

I wish I paid that much for Sixpoint and I LIVE IN NY!!!!
    Naterobsnyk4 and Fantasy_Factory like this.
  15. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Savant (295) Ohio Dec 18, 2009

I actually don't like most of them either, but I like Sweet Action and 3Beans quite a lot.
  16. Resin...delicious...$8/4pk.

WINNING.
    JxExM likes this.
  17. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Sweet Action and Righteous Pale are really nice and approachable beers if you have to go the can route.
  18. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

And other than Resin and 3Beans they are all pint cans.
  19. dick783

dick783 Aficionado (215) New York Sep 26, 2004

I was afraid it was just gonna be I don't like their signature taste. Ah well, I'll just keep admiring the names and cans in the cooler! Thanks!
  20. I agree. I thought Resin was forgettable and Sweet Action wasnt sweet enough for me (i was hoping for Columbus Summer Teeth or Surly Hell like but nope), but Apollo was refreshing and tasty (same idea as Bell's Oarsman--actually scarily similar). I havent had 3Beans yet, but I hear good things.
  21. “There was a thread on here a while ago about possible issues with brewing at the Lion facility and they were going to fix it. Did they used to be good, had a bunch of issues when I was trying them, and are better now?”

There is your ‘answer’ right there.

I highly recommend that you drink Sixpoint beers that are brewed at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn (the beer brands that don’t come in cans). Those Brooklyn brewed beers are still of high quality. If you obtain a Sixpoint beer brewed at Lion (the brands available in cans) then it is a real crap shoot.

Cheers!
    cavedave and fmccormi like this.
  22. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Aficionado (225) New York Oct 14, 2012

I don't have a ton to compare them to but I really like Resin. I thought Brownstone, Diesel and Righteous Ale are solid too. Nothing spectacular but decent local brews for me that are easy drinkers.
  23. Stigs

Stigs Advocate (575) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2005

I had been drinking Sixpoint beers for years (my bro-in-law is from Brooklyn). Big fan. Was stoked when they started getting distributed here.

All their beers out of Lion were terrible. Drainpoured an entire case. Wrote to their "customer service department" and was basically answered with "The beer is the same, your tastes have changed, you are wrong."

I know several others experienced the same thing as me.

Find out several months later that they were in fact using Lion's house yeast (which is a Kolsch yeast) for their beers brewed at Lion. Tried to reach out to "customer service" again (not sure why) via several outlets, and ended up getting my emails ignored, blocked from their Twitter account, and banned from their facebook page.

Will never spend another cent on a Sixpoint beer ever again, and never hold my breath on how they treat their customers whenever it comes up in conversation.
    cavedave likes this.
  24. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

WINNING!!!!!
  25. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I've been personally underwhelmed by Sixpoint since they came to Ohio last year. Righteous Ale is probably my favorite.

26. I truly understand your frustration. Needless to say, you might not want my recommendation but:

“I highly recommend that you drink Sixpoint beers that are brewed at the Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn (the beer brands that don’t come in cans).

Cheers!
  27. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (385) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

Sweet Action / Resin / 3Beans / Righteous all tickle my fancy. I have a buddy in Ny who says that SixPoints quality was much better before they started canning. I'll never know.
  28. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

I think you prob just don't like em. I really don't like anything from Victory, and the only beer I can stand from Anchor is Old Foghorn.
  29. I liked 3Beans too and had no idea it was a Baltic Porter when I bought it. Most (or maybe all?) of their beers seem to just say "Ale", or something really non-descript, on the packaging which is annoying. I've liked the few I've had from them regardless.
  30. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I personally love all the beers I've had from Sixpoint, especially Bengali Tiger. It has a really creamy mouthfeel and great hop presence.
    --Dom-- likes this.
  31. For all the people pointing out the price of a 4 pack of Six Point....they are 16 ounce cans. As for whether or not they are any good I had The Crisp tonight and it was a pleasant break from all the DIPA and Belgians I've been drinking lately. Had a 3Bean and Resin I really liked......eh no complaints here, maybe a bit pricey but not overlu so, you're paying more for a 24 pack because they are 24 sixteen ounce cans.
  32. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

I enjoyed Resin along with TF but I would rather just drink Flower Power and FIS since they are easily available.
  33. I've had sweet action and Apollo and while they were okay, I can't see myself going back for more.
  34. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Aficionado (225) New York Oct 14, 2012

A lot of Sixpoints beers don't fall clearly into a particular style so I think thats why they don't just clearly label them. Sweet Action isn't a typical Cream Ale, Brownstone isn't your normal brown ale etc.
  35. You're not alone. I'll probably never buy their cans again. Bengali was a bad batch (tasted like tangerines), resin was meh, righteous was not that good, and 3beans was odd and forgettable (thank God I only bought 1 can). I know people who love em, I don't. Taint nuttin wrong widdat.
    dick783 likes this.
  36. Agreed. I am not a huge fan of Sierra Nevada brews, no matter how much I try and how many adoring posts I read. Narwhal is the first beer I've had from them that I am seriously over the top about. (To be fair, I do have a few more of their wares to try before I call it quits.) Beauty really is in the eye, er, taste buds of the beholder. Cheers!
  37. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I personally loved Bengali Tiger when I had it. I've also enjoyed Resin and Righteous Ale. Just sounds like there's something about their beers that don't jive with you. The good thing is is that there are plenty of other beers out there to spend your money on.
    dick783 likes this.
  38. I loved Resin. Keep passing on Diesel for some reason. Very interested in 3Bean.
  39. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

Sweet Action on tap is a totally different beer than in the can. Their local, limited stuff is extremely delicious, especially Gorilla Warfare and Gose the Goserian.
    POTABLE83 likes this.
  40. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

sure, you just don't like them. You can't force yourself to like something other people do. Nothing wrong with that.
    dick783 likes this.