1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whats the Difference between a Imperial Stout and Baltic Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlackDragon, Feb 19, 2013.

1. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Thanks for the links, a good read but at the end of all of it, we're back to where we started... "stout was stronger than porter" and generally speaking, that is the case today.

2. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Gah, old internet posts comng back to haunt me. I have since learned that stout = porter. Same difference.

jmw likes this.
  3. Don't worry, there are plenty of posts I made which I hope have been buried!!! We all, I hope, become better informed as time goes along and for a long time I went along with things I now know to be wrong.

4. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

one is an ale and the other is a lagger, at least in practice.

A baltic porter is suppose to be a heavy duty dark lagger, while imp stout is a giant ale.......

5. Erix

Erix Savant (375) Vermont Jun 4, 2001

While Baltic Thunder is nice, it's really missing out on the ridiculous full bodied mouthfeel of Perkuno's Hammer. I just assumed it was because they didn't use beans at all, but maybe it's just that the Roman beans worked much better. Regardless, I miss Perkuno's Hammer, after finishing off my last bottle last year.

6. [​IMG]

Notice it says Ales AND Stouts :)

7. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Found this image of doctors prescriptions for porter from the 1930s (when beer above 4% abv, or class 3 beer, could only be bought for medicinal reasons) which I thought I'd share. The upper one from apoteket gripen (pharmacy griffin) is for a Disponent (business owner) Nilsson who is directed to drink "et[sic] glas 3 gÄnger dagligen" (one glass 3 times daily) of porter klass 3 and he is able to purchase 6 fl. (6 bottles) of it. The one below is for a Mrs. Hille who is to drink "en flaska vid behov" (a bottle when needed) of Carnegie porter, class 3. It also says Lag. Ori .III which I interpret as Lager beer class 3 as an alternative to the porter.
    [​IMG]

Givemebeer and beertunes like this.