1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the farthest you've driven for the sole purpose of picking up beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I'm curious. Lets cut out trips i.e. drove from Texas to Chicago for a wedding and stopped at the Three Floyds brewpub.

What's the farthest beer run you've made in your car? Heck, if you flew into a city for the sole purpose of scooping up some brewskis, that counts too.

2. i don't really know off the top of my head, but i would go to the end of the earth and back if it meant i can finally get some bourbon county cherry rye

TwelveOunces likes this.
  3. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

I drove a little over an hour then fought traffic from Baton Rouge to New Orleans to go by steins. I didn't even know what they had. i had just heard it was a pretty stellar selection. I picked up some great brews and made it home for lunch.

4. 4 hours.....Hill Farmstead and the Alchemist

Oh sure, there was an overnight stay in Stowe to make it all vacation-y for the wife...but it was all about the beer

Lantern, ha-sheem, Savearth and 12 others like this.
  5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

One hour into Wisconsin.

Anything beyond that is crazy talk and you should have your head examined.

6. j47paco

j47paco Savant (360) California Dec 19, 2010

4 hours and 200 miles to Kernville a few years ago. We came back with 8 growlers of Citra. Worth every mile.

7. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Aficionado (130) Ohio Feb 20, 2013

Does driving to 5 hours to FFF for the upcoming Dark Lord Day count?

8. Two hours each way to the original Troegs Harrisburg location for scratch beers.

sajaffe1, ESeab, Lantern and 4 others like this.
  9. Up and back from Ct. to Philadelphia once or twice a year. 6-7 hour rt assuming no crazy traffic. Not a bad way to kill a day.

10. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Just 60 miles round trip... but in nyc traffic.

11. Five, hours from North Mississippi to Ky. Story starts off like a joke. A beer store owner, a cop a preacher and me have made this trip 3 times.
    If you count Hunahpu Day drove 13 hours.

mfnmbvp, Tchfunkta and hornsup like this.
  12. 90 minutes.

Lurkerson likes this.
  13. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

6.5 hours. Rochester, NY to Waterbury, VT

ufmj and MarkJBurch like this.
  14. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

14 hours and about 870 miles from Indiana to Hill Farmstead... multiple times. Another trip coming in May.

15. bcook582

bcook582 Zealot (90) California Jan 4, 2012

im driving 4.5hrs each way from central ny to alchemist on thursday. going to get 2 cases of HT and going to enjoy every minute in the car doing it.

Oh yea, that is after my 6hr flight from SF to my parents in NY for easter so i guess you could count that too.

j47paco likes this.
  16. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (270) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

2.5 hours from Indy for lunch at FFF, back the same day. I prefer to go twice, up and back with a stay over in Chicago in between, but it was a great lunch!

17. 461 miles to Russian River for Pliny the Younger (8 hours).

Bildo likes this.
  18. How are you getting the Heady's back to San Francisco?

19. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (445) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Wife and I have made the 6+ hour trip from Chicago to Minneapolis for a Surly haul...twice. We enjoyed a tour each time and injected quite a few dollars into the Twin Cities' beer economy each time.

Bildo and ressling like this.
  20. Where in NJ? My wife and I were drinking it on tap Saturday evening at a bar by our house on the UWS. Keg is still pouring as of today.

DanH83 and regularjohn like this.
  21. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

One of the best beer stops in New Orleans as far as I'm concerned...and you can't even drink on premise!

22. i'm about 20mins outside of midtown manhattan

23. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (395) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

WINNER !!! 2514 miles Chicago area to Huny Day in March, round trip. (Retired) Brought down a bunch of Zombie Dust, and Teku glasses, -at cost - for BA's to pick up and enjoy , should've brought more, everyone+ wanted it, at cost you sure can't go wrong.Met a bunch of GREAT BA's with that goodwill, well worth it !

MrHolland10, JxExM and jeevo like this.
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

3,120 miles to Alaskan Brewing Co. Oh wait, I could have just gone 3 miles and bought some at my local store?

25. ddedhed

ddedhed Savant (375) Ohio Dec 4, 2012

5.5 hours from Ohio to FFF. Stay the night in Chicago, but stop on the way up and the way back. Usually do it twice a year. The wife loves Chicago and allows me to stock up. Lucky me.

26. 500 miles for heady a couple times

27. made a 3 hour detour to stop at Bell's to pick up Hopslam....they ran out just before I got there. :( at least I got to try Two Hearted on cask!

28. cdmillard

cdmillard Savant (410) Maryland Feb 17, 2013

Don't know if this counts, but I flew to Amsterdam, then drove to Belgium to pick up 2 cases of West 12! I managed to fit in a little tourism while I was there (Barhopping), but the focus of the trip was a beer run.

regularjohn likes this.
  29. tbryan5

Haha. I know! I probably would've even eaten there and spent more money if I could have cracked open one of the brews I bought... O well... Still a weird rule considering it is IN New Orleans. (where almost anything goes..)

30. tbryan5

OUCH... that stings...

31. 14 hour round trip excursion to Waterbury (from outside philly) to pick up some Heady. Left at 4 am and was back by 6 pm. Will never do that drive solo again.

ESeab and JxExM like this.
  32. An hour to Wisco for some NG.

33. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

3 hours numerous times to tampa for ccb

34. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

A nine hour drive to Minneapolis for Darkness Day. The ride back was worse. Three guys. Nine hours. Lambic farts.

35. 3 1/2 hours to Hill Farmstead.

36. I once drove fifteen minutes and two towns over. Rough life.

mfnmbvp and regularjohn like this.
  37. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

~10 hr roundtrip to Vermont for HF and the Alchemist
    No overnight stays, no breaks, no stopping for a beer or food along the way (drank water and iced tea in the car)
    Just me, some classical masterpieces, my reliable Legacy, and the open road

38. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Eat next time. Good food...and that's coming from a Jew!

39. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

My 13 yr. old kid had spring break a few weeks ago, we decided to take a dad/son vacation. He really wanted to go camping in AK but I convinced him to go to New Orleans instead. I figured that there would be plenty for us to do and I could hit Stein's Deli while we were there. After driving 9 hours each way, I can now say that there is not much for a 13 year old to do in NO. Stein's is awesome by the way!
    I am officially a terrible Dad !

40. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

3 hours north to Hill Farmstead/Alchemist/Lawson's. On multiple occasions. And it will happen again.

AutumnBeerLove and cincysig like this.