1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the farthest you've driven for the sole purpose of picking up beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I drove over 100 miles for beer but I went on a trek of Vermont breweries. Stopped at the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Magic Hat, Harpoon, and Long Trail. I ended up with a case of Heady Topper and a couple of bottles of some Lawson's.

2. abkayak

abkayak Savant (340) New York Jan 8, 2013

just soloed this wkend,, first beer run ever..23hr,880mm - 4cs heady,2gal of HF and some minor leaguers...listened to the tournament on the way passing the basketball hall of fame. heard for the 1st time song "Beer Run" and also on the radio Basketball Jones.....overheated 3 times... it kinda seamed like i was being guided on this trip...cant wait to do it again...now sharing the wealth

jeevo and woodchopper like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

4 1/2 hr one way drive side trip to Alchemist.

4. I managed to get Dark Lord day tickets so my buddy and I will be driving 13 hours (850 miles) one way to Munster in April- it'll be our first time :)

jeevo likes this.
  5. nc41

That's kinda twisted, but I ( we) understand.

ldhughes3 likes this.
  6. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

flew from Moline Illinois to San Deigo for beer week a few years ago ;)
    drove to Atlanta Ga just to have a few beers with a great buddy....

7. Technically a work trip that I can fly for, but drove the 475 miles Philly to Columbus and back again to bring back a couple growlers of Columbus Bodhi (so damn good), White Rajah,some Fat Heads Head Hunter and a few other things I can't get back in PA. Have done the trip a few times now and will definitely be doing it again.

8. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (635) Texas Dec 28, 2012

It would be much easier to trade for it.

9. nc41

I couldn't trade for 3 cases of Heady Topper and drink HF and Lawson on tap.

10. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (635) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Was I talking about you?

11. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Savant (385) New York Dec 31, 2012

Flew to Burlington from long island and rented a car just to go to the alchemist. Back on the plane with 2 cases same day.

12. It'll be the 6-7 hours it'll take me to drive from Rochester to The Alchemist/HF/Long Trail this weekend.

13. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

Went from Alexandria, VA, to outside of PA to drop our stuff off at my In-Law's place, then to Milton DE. just over 4 hours total

14. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

Frankfurt to Brussels, 400km, took about 4 hours each way.

15. About an 800 mile round trip.

16. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

I Loved Stein's!! I was able to go by on my trip to NOLA last year. I called them the night before I left town, they were closed that day but were having a staff meeting at the time... the cool part is they actually let me come in anyway and I bought some great beer!!

17. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (615) California Jan 23, 2013

5.5 hours this year from Concord. Had about 8 pints, came back with 12 bombers. Completely worth it. Fantastic beer, and really great people.

j47paco and ChanChan like this.
  18. not that far....

when I moved to Temecula I drove up to Placentia to get my Bruery fix that I had left behind.

when I lived in the SF I drove up to RR... so nothing like you guys and your 3 state treks haha

19. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

i've gone 4-5 hours round-trip from southern NH to HF and a Lawson's release, but have met folks standing in line at HF that had driven up from NYC just to fill up growlers and drive back home (14 hours round-trip?)

20. ddedhed

ddedhed Savant (400) Ohio Dec 4, 2012

Uhh... I meant to say, she stays home, barefoot and only leaves the kitchen to do the laundry. Because I have a Y chromosome, which means I have balls, which means I am in control, which means I am uncompromising with loved ones. Testosterone, fuck yeah!

That better?

21. Four hours to Minneapolis from Wisconsin in order to buy Surly, Great Divide, Odell, Deschutes, and Stone.

22. Buffalo to Winooski for Heady and Lawsons round trip same day 16.5 hours through blinding snow both ways. Now knowing how good both really are, I WOULD DO IT AGAIN ON FOOT!

23. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Dunno that i'd go that far (you forgot the bedroom by the way;) ) but we'd have real problems if my g/f tried to tell me whether I could or couldn't buy beer.

24. I took a weekend vacation and drove 2.5 hours to get there for the sole purpose of drinking a beer I already had, does that count? It was a minikeg of Hopslam.

25. Angst

Angst Aficionado (225) California Nov 8, 2007

L.A. To San Diego. About 2-3 hours one way. Alesmith, Ballast Point, & Alpine. Was worth it every time!

26. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Waterbury is a little under 2 hours from my house and HF is a little over an hour. I'll often just go to HF (just under 150mi round trip) but sometimes I like it up with a trip over to Waterbury and Montpelier.

27. ddedhed

ddedhed Savant (400) Ohio Dec 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I do have real problems in our relationship. She thinks it's going nowhere.

However my relationship with my wife is solid.

28. I have made several over 4 hours each way. Not sure if it counts, but I drove from Homer Alaska to Michigan and stopped at every(12+) brewery along the way and bought a growler from each for a souvenier.

29. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

7.5 hours each way to Hunahpu's Day from Atlanta both this year and last year.
    I'll be topping that next month going to Dark Lord Day...

30. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I'm not going to include any trips to breweries or bottle shops that were part of an already planned trip to somewhere else....so...

30.5 miles

31. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

About 15 miles.

GR_Rick likes this.
  32. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

Richmond -> Chicago last year for DLD.
    made the trip more interesting by stopping at Jackie Os, Arbor Brewing, Kuhnhenn, Flossmoor and multiple bottle shops on the way there...

33. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

Atlanta to Madison Wisconsin then to three floyds over 18 hrs. We did a bottle share in the back of the Uhaul though so time flew by.

34. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

About 3 hrs for Kate.

That will change if I ever make it to VT.

Cheers All......

35. 7 hrs each way to HF. Happened a couple times, and will happen again.

36. yeah this is true lol but i really don't think i have anything of value to weigh in comparison unfortunately, what people are asking for at least

37. yeah that seems really overpriced, when bars in the city actually did have it they were asking around $30 tops. i wouldn't mind having it right there at the bar but i really wanna get a bottle i can have at home to age a bit ya know?

38. jealous of all the people who took 3 hours to get to HF/the alchemist. it took me over twice that and once i did it in one day...

39. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

About 30 minutes, for the SOLE purpose. Driven a couple hours for Jackie O's release but visited my cousin at OU, so can't call that sole. I'm going to Belgium in May for a beer trip with my buddy. Does that count?

40. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

if I had to make a educated guess, Perfect Pour?