1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the farthest you've driven for the sole purpose of picking up beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I like your style. HF Anniversary? I'd love to buy you a pour of Abner or something.

cfrances33 likes this.
  2. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

If only... I have grad school graduation that weekend. I was hoping that Spontaneous would be released early enough in the month to warrant a trip. If that trip doesn't work, then definitely June for CD6 or Flora!

3. Drove from Columbia, SC to FFF for DLD. So, about 1000 miles, if that counts.

Nesued likes this.
  4. wfinken

wfinken Aspirant (25) Maryland Jan 27, 2013

No. Liquor Locker.

5. Poucher86

Poucher86 Aficionado (180) Maryland Jan 19, 2012

Great topic!!! haha. i recently drove 70 miles one way to grab some Flying dog El dorado and Allagash Four from probably the best place to get craft in Maryland, perhaps the east coast. (Dawson's liquors)

6. Poucher86

Poucher86 Aficionado (180) Maryland Jan 19, 2012

that's like finding white castle. long journey but once you're there....YOU'RE THERE lol

7. I just drove 3 hours from Chicagoland to Wisconsin for New Glarus.

8. sicilian

sicilian Savant (250) Florida Sep 30, 2008

90 minutes each way driving on Interstate 4 to Tampa for Cigar City every few weeks or so..
    Tasting Room visits and there are several beers they only distribute in Tampa that I pick up like Tocobaga Red ale

Tidesox28 likes this.
  9. Drove from Milwaukee to Madison (about 160 miles round trip) one day to pick up some Founders Blushing Monk. In hindsight... I REGRET NOTHING!

10. germany for some weizen biers and glasses, when i was younger

11. Round trip of ~7-8 hours driving to VT from Boston to hit the Alchemist and Hill Farmstead in one day.

12. bsuedekum

bsuedekum Savant (485) Missouri Aug 13, 2010

Flying to Copenhagen to pick up Blabaer back in June.

PaulQuinn likes this.
  13. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

and I sincerely appreciate you doing this!

Farthest I've driven just for beer was 9 hours (from Amherst to Hill Farmstead and from Tallahassee to Cigar City). I've made both trips twice. As far as flying, I went to Amsterdam and besides a vacation after the first semester of law school with a friend while my dad did work my equally important goal was to bring back Cantillon.

bsuedekum likes this.
  14. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Although I'm not driving, I'm going to be leaving Paris for a few days and head to Belgium/Holland to visit at least one Trappist brewery, trade for some Westvleteren 12 and other beers, and purchase as much beer as I can to take back to the states with me. If it weren't for Belgium's rich brewing culture, I'd probably head to Germany for those few days instead (and yes, I realize Germany has a good good brewing history too, but...), even though it's a win/win situation either way and I feel you can't go wrong traveling throughout Western Europe, beer or not.

15. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Flew from Hartford to Chicago, rented a car, and drove to the Great Taste Of The Midwest in Madison. Worth every second.

There's a seat in my car for you next time I go.

smutty33 likes this.
  16. Pliny23

Pliny23 Disciple (70) Texas Mar 27, 2013

an hour, but i would prob drive 2-3 hours for heady topper or pliny

17. After reading this I really feel lazy for never making the 3.5hr drive.

18. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

10 miles?

19. probably 4 hours from Kitchener Ontario to Novi Michigan, which I happen to be going to for a sci fi convention in two weeks.

20. I run in the harpoon road race every year. 5 miles, but beer at the finish line is well worth it.

21. kk73

kk73 Aficionado (230) Hawaii Dec 21, 2009

I took a red eye from Honolulu to LAX Friday night. Arrived Saturday morning picked up car and drove to Alesmith in San Diego to pick up BA Kopi Speedway and BA Decadence, had a pint and a taster. Drove to Anaheim to The Bruery to pick up the rest of my 2012 Allocations, had a glass of Imperial Lokal Red. Boxed up all bottles and drove back to LAX to catch the last flight home to Honolulu. Took about 21 hours about 5200+ miles of flying and driving. Thank god the wife works in the airline industry.

22. i havent read the entire thread because its not so intelligent... but the furthest i've driven was about 1/8 mile, because it was too cold to walk....

23. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Ok, this goes against the thread, BUT...we drove a few hundred miles, from Vegas to San Diego one weekend for the kids' bootcamp graduation and got tons of So Cal beers while there. Got some RRsours, Pliny, Blind Pig, etc.

My Wife THINKS the trip was for the sole purpose of attending the kids' Marine graduation, and incidentally, beer.

But we know better, don't we?

24. Actually, 777 miles one way. :)

25. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

26. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

Seriously considering the drive from ATL to Tampa for some CCB brews here soon.

27. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

drove from minneapolis to Chicago. bought 13 cases of beer, 6 pizzas from gino's east, and 4lbs of italian beef from big Al's.

28. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

The farthest I've driven for a beer run is 45 minutes south to KZoo when Black Note 4 packs came out.

I don't get out much.

29. sphyrn

sphyrn Savant (270) Connecticut Apr 11, 2013

When I lived in Germany I drove 5 hours to go to Brussels a couple times. The best is when I went to 3 fountains for two boxes of Armand spring. I went other times by train as well.

30. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Pittsburgh to DLD and back. It was about 10 hours each way if I remember correctly.

31. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (300) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

Going to CHI on Tuesday early on purpose to make the drive to Three Floyds, which will be my longest drive.

32. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (670) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

We just got back from a 20+ hour drive from Michigan to Colorado and back. We were there visiting one of my girlfriend's friends, but I was there for another purpose....SHHHhhhh!!!!

33. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

From NW Subs of Chicago to FFF. Took a little over an hour.

WORTH IT!!

34. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

n
    I swear half the people in the liquor isle at Woodmans in Kenosha are Illinoisans there buying New Glarus.

35. Saviorself

Saviorself Aficionado (210) Ohio Mar 15, 2012

5 1/2 Hours from Columbus, through Kalamazoo to visit Bells, then finished in Grand Rapids for the KBS release. Beer is the only thing worth going through MI for. O-H

36. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

3 hours one way to NewGlarus. Will be making the trip this Saturday as well. IA makes a man (or woman) drive for the good stuff.

37. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Hour and a half round trip for half case of Bourbon County Coffee. Plan on making a trip to VT by the end of May.

38. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

Dark Lord/Darkness/KBS and other releases. never more than 1000 miles each way though.

Did arrange a road trip to coincide with a couple releases, 6800 miles total, but there were other purposes of the trip too.

Got rid of previous car at 126K miles...approximately 55% were beer-related road trips.

cheers--
    --Michael

39. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

Every couple months I drive 125 miles to Louisville to load up because I can't find what I want in Evansville, IN.