1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the longest expired beer you've seen on a shelf?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlueRogue, Apr 28, 2012.

1. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

There's a GI Demolition sitting on a shelf here in town that has a bottling date of early 2010, lol.
  2. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I scored some 2005 Stille Nacht and Westmalle Dubbel earlier this year and both are great. Dulle Teve, Bos Keun, Petrus Oud Bruin from 05 were all still drinkable. 09 3 Philosophers at same shop, also pretty good. Still have some Chimay Blue and Rocherfort 8 from the same shop and around the same time to enjoy.
  3. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (140) Florida Jul 22, 2009

On Thursday I picked up a bottle of Mephistopheles bottled in November 2007. Took it and some other older bottles I had (Chimay Red I've had aging for the last three years) to a beer release I went to on Saturday. Actually, the Chimay was awesome. The Mephistopheles had aged well but was still a monster of a beer. Incredible depths of flavor, but a definite sipper.....glad I was sharing 12oz with two other people.
  4. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Mephistopheles would not be expired after 2 years. That beer could sit in proper conditions for a couple decades before it starts to turn south.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  5. BarryMFBurton

BarryMFBurton Savant (435) Indiana Mar 28, 2011

Saw a bomber of Stone Ruination that was so old it looked like a snowglobe; floaties everywhere. I told the cashier about it and he said, "Actually, that's bottle conditioned. That's just the yeast."

Sure, buddy. Sure.
  6. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Is there really such a thing as expired beer? We all see older dates which means it's not "fresh".
  7. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Expired beer would be beer that is past the date give by the brewery to consume. If there isn't a date there's no way to know.
  8. Siggy125

I get that. I just don't remember ever seeing "exp" next to a date on any bottles that I've had. Maybe a BMC in the old days.
  9. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (335) New York May 16, 2012

Was in a Wegmans in Rochester, N.Y. yesterday and saw numerous I.P.A.'S & Pale Ales all with brewed on's from 2011 or early 2012.... discouraging for me because i'm from the area and they by far carry the biggest selection of craft brews in this part of state. I e-mailed both the store and the breweries involved to kindly make them aware.
  10. Yeah, it's pretty rare to see the term "Expire" on a beer date, but within the industry the "best before" method of dating (i.e., vs. "bottled on") is typically called the "pull date" - the date the beer should be pulled off the shelf and returned/destroyed. So that pretty close to "expiring" - certainly suggests that it shouldn't be on the shelf and being offered for sale to the public. It used to be grounds for losing an AB distributorship when a wholesaler was found to have old beer on their retailers' shelves.
  11. Some Gale's Conquest from 2001, and Prize Old Ale going back to the mid-1990s. Would have the potential, if stored well, to still be drinkable, but with those damned corks (as nice as they are, cap the bottles too, a la Lindemans/some other Belgian producers) mean the beers are ultra-oxidized, papery, and flat as a pancake. Take them off the shelf already, or sell 'em for 2-3 bucks for the awesome bottles at least.
  12. Also, if I'm reading the cryptic date codes accurately, ALL the Samuel Smith (minus Stingo and Winter Welcome, which have vintage dates) available in central Missouri are from 2011. This is why I only buy Stingo and Winter Welcome, despite loving some of the others...
  13. This is common practice for almost any place I shop at. I am always digging through the top 2 cases to get to the fresh on on the bottom. As long as you know what to dig for its not that big of a deal.
  14. Boulevard beers (often at least 2 years) and HopDevil. Always wanted to try fresh HopDevil, but everytime I see it, it's covered in dust.
  15. The Mephistopheles will be fine for the next 10 years though...
  16. Pretty sure the importer, B. United, was still selling and distributing those beers long after they were bottled (and, IIRC, even after Gale's shut down a few years back) as part of their "Vintage" collection, so one can't simply blame the retailer or local distributor in that case. It wasn't unusual to find some stores with a number of different vintages of POA that had obviously been received at the same time - so apparently B. United never thought they had "expired" and they still have a picture of a couple of bottles in their Vintage section and pages for the individual beers - Prize Old Ale and Conquest.
  17. I just bought a 4 pack of 2008 Three Philosophers - not good, extremely flat & musty...luckily my store gave me a refund.

I also got 2008 Pannepot & 2009 BCBS

I'm hoping the Pannepot is still good.
    Doing a vertical 2012 & 2009 of BCBS with family over the holidays...
  18. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

I have a shop near me that still has these. Every six months or so I buy one. Not too bad.
  19. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

20. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

21. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

That's not expired...that's still got a year or two before it's at its prime drinking age.
  22. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Found some 09 Three Phils 750s this year that were much better than fresh IMO

What's the advantage of cap and cork over either alone? I was lucky enough to have 98, 97, & 89 JW Lees earlier this week. 3oz pours of the newer vintages were fantastic, but the 89 got dumped. I could tell it was still when I popped the cap. So a cap alone won't necessarily keep a beer fresh, but will a cap keep the cork moist enough to be efective where a crown lets the cork dry out?
  23. I found a case of Goose Island Pere Jacques from '10 about a week ago. Bought the whole thing, popped one open, and it was amazing. Super smooth and balanced, without the overtly fruity flavors that appear when fresh.
  24. Siggy125

I just pulled a DFH Burton Baton out of the cellar with an 11/28/11 bottle date on it. It may not be the same beer it was a year ago. But it's still F-in delicious.

I sure hope the FBP, (fresh beer police), don't arrest me.
  25. Complete sleeper...GI Pere Jacques, though still an 'American' take on the style, is absolutely BRILLIANT w/2-3 years on it...one of my favorite dubbels for sure...the toasted bread and caramel notes meld with a lighter fruitiness (dissipates w/age) to make a DAMN delicious dubbel, and for a good price!
    Plasmamonkey likes this.
  26. Sourkehd

Sourkehd Zealot (90) Massachusetts Dec 10, 2012

Belgian lager that expired in 2002 amongst a million other expired products. The utter negligence of that store did lead me to some amazingly old sours though. Give/take until the goodies are gone.
  27. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

If it's been kept well, it shouldn't be bad. I thought the bottle I opened was decent...
  28. JRod1969

Here was my Rueben and the Jets review from last April...

4/14/12 - Pours a murky brown near black with medium high light to medium tan creamy near pancake head. Smells fantastic with tons of caramel and almost like a non-hoppy barleywine. I am very excited due to the caramel nose. The taste is almost exactly like a barleywine and continues to have solid caramel. It is malty and very enjoyable. The feel is medium. If I didn't know I would have thought this was a barrel aged barleywine and that is good. The aftertaste leaves some sweetness and some heat. Not the most complex barleywine flavor, but very enjoyable.
  29. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Too bad it was a Double/Imperial Stout :p
  30. JRod1969

Not anymore.
  31. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I bought Brooklyn's Monster Ale from 2010 this year when I found it on the shelf at a store that's now closed. They had a LOT of older stuff, great for somethings but NOT others, obviously. Shame the store closed but they were in a dying shopping plaza finally getting pushed out by the bigger grocery store chains.
  32. Found a few bottles of JW Lee's Harvest 2004 thru 07 back in 2010
  33. My girlfriend picked me up some beers recently and one was a Rogue XS Imperial IPA. Shes not a beer drinker herself and didnt think to look at the dates (although shes generally really good at picking me out beers), it turned out to be greater than 2 years old. And man was it bad. My first and only drain pour. My issue was, this was from a massive liquor store, that does a huge business. I cant imagine it sitting on the shelf for the whole 2 plus years. Im guessing they found it lying around in the back or something and threw it on the shelves. Some kinda shady move.
  34. 2010 sierra nevada summerfest still at a local shop and accidentally bought a 2010 deschutes hop trip blah
  35. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

since unibroue has expiration dates, I have seen a don de dieu that was 3 years expired. then I bought it... (it wasn't good)
  36. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

8 yr old Rochefort 10.
  37. There's a deli up the street from where I work. They have Lagunita's Sucks from last year...
  38. I have some from July '11 that I need to bust out soon. Thanks for the reminder.
  39. I know - I asked if they had anything in the back room.
    The guy I asked said no, but another employee said he had something & he came back with the 2009 BCBS bomber - $14
    I just paid the man & left quietly... wondering what the hell just happened!
    mcrago likes this.