1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the story behind the "Lou Pepe" series of Cantillon?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 4DAloveofSTOUT, Jul 16, 2013.

1. I am looking to expand my knowledge of wild ales. More specifically about Lou Pepe Kriek, Lou Pepe Gueuze, and Lou Pepe Framboise.

So what exactly is it that makes a Cantillion sour a "Lou Pepe" sour vs a Cantillion sour without the Lou Pepe label? For example: Cantillion Lou Pepe Gueuze vs Cantillion Classic Gueuze. Whats the difference?

Is their a story behind this Cantillion series of beer?

Thanks for any information that you can provide! Cheers!

2. box_social

box_social Savant (350) Oregon Mar 6, 2013

3. kojevergas likes this.
  4. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Can anyone weigh in on when/where i'd be able to find a bottle for home consumption? I've seen one at a restaurant for a much higher price than I can afford...

5. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Cantillons are by and large very hard to find. Most come and go and it is pure luck that you find one or two on a shelf. Here there are folks who know the distributor or his delivery guys and show up right behind the truck and claim all the Cantillons in one fell swoop. Good luck BA but look into ordering from distributors overseas. You may pay a bit more including shipping but at least you will be guaranteed to get some good beer as a result.

6. Pretty much at the end of a rainbow these days. Save the cash and shell it out one day at a bar for a special occasion. It's worth it if you've never had it. IMO

7. Let me ask this question. i saw a bottle of Lou Pepe Framboise at a bottle shop recently. I asked how much and the response shocked me. $80 bucks! The owner said that he was basically charging the amount he put into it and not trying to price gouge. Is this a fair price? its a 2006 i believe.

8. No way is this a fair price! That beer should run about $30 a bottle. Unless he acquired through back channels and not the normal distribution channels, he's price gouging. If it's actually an '06 (the most recent is '09), it's probably fair to bump the price up some, but $80 is a bit steep.

Tmonk13 likes this.

9. 06 Lou Pepe Framboise might be the sourest beer I've ever had, and I've had a pretty large number. Not really sure if it was any good, just super super sour.

jedwards, BucketBoy and Tmonk13 like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Ask again in the mid-Atlantic forum and mention the place that has the bottle. I don't think any of our Belgian restaurants show it on their bottle menus. You'll get a better sense of what it will sell for in PA, if available at all. Also check the store shelves periodically and see how long it takes to sell.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  11. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

Our 750s sell between $30 and $41 depending on the style. Lou Pepe series is one if the most expensive expressions because of the loads of cherries they use... Which are rare and getting harder and harder to source. Of course we buy ours through normal shleton to distributor channels and they don't price gauge ... Some places who can't get it through normal channels buy it through mail order and their price reflects that additional cost. I value my Liquor license too much to do that so when we don't have it we just don't have it,

I know aged sours are all the rage but I'm one of those of the opinion that fresh ( under a year) fruit lambics are better than aged. I've shelled out $85 for an aged stlamvinus and didn't like it nearly as well as the fresh.

The fruit fades as it gets older so buying a fresh standard Kriek would be cheaper and. Beer value than the aged Lou Pepe. I prefer the standard anyway. IF you can find it I adore then Drie Fonteinen Kriek is spectacular.. And in some areas easier to find. That's my desert island beer. .... Not they aren't both extraordinary...

Tmonk13 likes this.
  12. avenuepub

Just saw you are in llinois... west Lakeview liquors in Chicago has likely the best access. They are also hosts to Zwanze day again this year.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  13. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Agree that fruit lambics are better fresh.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  14. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

My only input is that I drank Lou Pepe Framboise at Cantillon, and it was one of the best beers I have ever had.

I also agree with the sentiment about drinking fruit lambics fresh. The fruit flavor fades with time, and if you aren't looking for big fruit flavor, you can save money by getting the regular gueuze.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  15. I am not sure how the bottle was acquired. The shop also had some rarities to the Pittsburgh Area such as Pliny and Heady. I can see maybe bumping the price for travel to get it or he paid someone for it and wanted to recoup a bit for it but its still 80 bucks.... when the Iris next to it was 20 bucks. I may have to post in the mid atlantic forum to further investigate but i dont see myself buying it anytime soon.

16. I'm not sure about beer laws in your state but if he/she ordered it online and had it shipped from Belgium, $80 would probably be close to a standard mark up. Fair warning: as you get more into lambics there will likely come a time when you don't even blink at bottles in this price range. Proceed with caution if you're on a tight budget.

BucketBoy and Tmonk13 like this.
  17. Thanks for the heads up the budget right now is wide open but soon with a pending move back to PGH might cause for some tightening for the wallet a bit. I've paid a pretty penny for some rarities. I can see why you say that I paid $24 for a 3F Golden Blend. well worth it and want to buy the store out of it.

The owner of the shop I feel is pretty fair with most of his stuff the rare stuff is more pricey especially if its not actually supposed to be distributed there...

18. Cherries are only in the Kriek... The Framboise uses raspberries and the gueuze has no fruit.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  19. BJRHOMEBREW

BJRHOMEBREW Aficionado (235) Ohio Dec 18, 2008

At $80 your not just being gouged your being bent over a barrel and letting them have their way with you. Any respectable beer store should only put a standard mark up on the beer which for the beer in question should on the high end be around $30.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  20. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Letting them have their way with you if YOU CHOOSE to purchase the bottle...How does that work?

Tmonk13, domtronzero and drtth like this.
  21. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

While I can also agree that lambics are really good fresh, me and a buddy split an '02 LP Framboise at Akkurat bar in Stockholm and it was easily one of the best beers I've ever had. I've enjoyed a lot of Cantillon and 3F offerings and would gladly pay the $53 dollars we paid for that bottle again if I ever make it back there. A properly cellared Cantillon is damned hard to beat.

Tmonk13 likes this.
  22. I payed $70 bucks for two bottles of Iris at Jackie O's and will never forget the look of my friends face of pucking bliss as he tried his first sour.

Tmonk13 and VonZipper like this.
  23. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

Sounds like a certain bar out in New Ken...

mikecharley and Tmonk13 like this.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I wouldn't pay that. Not only because of this:
    But because I think LPF ages worse than your average fruit lambic. Worse than Rose de Gambrinus. I'm not sure why this is, but it's been pretty consistent across the last few >1-year-old LPFs I've had.

Tmonk13 and VonZipper like this.
  25. Maybe...

26. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Even for an '06, this is really high. The last time I splurged on any vintages was '05 and '07 LPF and they were $55 and $50 each I believe (this was at a bar).

Tmonk13 likes this.
  27. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

De Bierkoning in Amsterdam has a bunch of Lou Pepe for 25 euro a 75cl bottle.

28. Damn I miss the days when I could waltz into a shop and buy a LPF or LPK for under $30.

29. avenuepub

Yep.. Didn't read carefully to notice he was talking about the LP framboise.. Just saw LP and assumed Kriek. That's what multitasking while posting will get ya!

OddNotion likes this.
  30. yester

yester Disciple (55) Netherlands Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Frank Boon thinks it's near to impossible to make a raspberry lambic that ages well even up to 1 year.
    Following him all he's tried show serious flaws from around that time.

31. Just go to Brussels or have a friend go and bring you some back. If neither of these are an option, troll international organizations of students or whatever in your area until you come across a Belgian. Then do what it takes.

*I'm not advocating prostitution... but it's some damn good beer.

skipanoka2 likes this.
  32. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think Rose does okay, and Framboos has been doing well so far, but if you're going to age a fruit lambic, kriek is the better choice.

jedwards likes this.
  33. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Love the story, love these beers and love to have more of them!

34. I agree.

35. I disagree strongly. Had a 06 lp frambrois a month ago and it was amazing. Crazy sour and tart and the raspberries were still very noticeable.

Momar42 likes this.