1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the trade value of a growler of Pliny the Younger?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by flayedandskinned, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I might get one in 2 months. Just curious if it would be worth trading or just consuming instantly.
  2. nrbw23

nrbw23 Advocate (520) Ohio Jul 30, 2007

Just drink it.
  3. sell it for 300 dollars
  4. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

In two months, it will be four months past optimal freshness.
  5. It is going to be released in February. I was wondering how many whales it is worth. Im sure it has a lot of firepower.

6. Na, I couldnt sell it, thats just wrong. Plus, Vinnie would probably put a hit out on me.
  7. you're right i'm sure he'll be much happier that you're just shopping it around for whales instead
  8. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (530) California May 3, 2011

Are they even doing growler fills of PtY this year?

9. Im pretty sure he wouldnt mind his beers being traded for other amazing beers that us NorCal locals cant get due to lack of distribution.
  10. maybe i'm mistaken but i imagine you must have a connection to someone at some bar who is hooking you up, and i doubt vinnie would be very pleased with that.

in any case i agree that there's nothing wrong with trading a growler of pty if it's possible but the fact that you're "wondering how many whales it's worth" hints at a little more than altruism on your part
  11. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (530) California May 3, 2011

Straight from the Russian River Blog:

“Pliny the Younger will be released at our brewpub in Downtown Santa Rosa on February 1st, 2013 (always the first Friday in February)! Younger will be available on tap in 10 ounce glasses (no growlers or bottles) for 2 weeks, or 14 days. We will allocate a certain amount each day until we run out for the day. Last year we had very few days where we ran out at all! The last day we will have it at the pub will be February 14th. Last year the wait was up to 5 hours, and sometimes there was no wait at all. It’s a bit unpredictable, however, except on weekends where you can definitely expect the longest wait. We have learned that waiting in line can be fun and can even lead to new relationships, especially after several glasses of Younger! So please use the buddy system while getting “Younger” at our pub (your friends will hopefully look out for you!). As far as distribution is concerned, we usually start distributing a small amount of kegs to our accounts and distributors right after we release it at the pub. We are planning to brew the same amount this year and release the same quantities for distribution, but who gets what is yet to be determined. First batch of Younger will be brewed this Thursday at the pub! I saw the man himself hand-selecting this year’s Younger hops just last week… artist or mad scientist? Probably a lot of both
    BobZ, tai4ji2x and MADhombrewer like this.
  12. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

tai4ji2x and Jnorton00 like this.
  13. There is almost no way you can get a growler. If so, good luck to you.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

It's a DONG, so many will wonder how the beer made it into the growler, whether it was 11 friends meeting in a bathroom stall to siphon 10 oz. glasses, or a legitimate fill from a keg. That said, the ticker community is famous for wanting to put a notch on their gun, or whatever equivalent there is to adding a tick, so some idiot would probably send you whatever you wanted, no matter what the circumstances were for you obtaining it.
    BobZ, writerLJBerg, jrnyc and 4 others like this.
  15. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Three beers from the new white whale list, all around ~#80. Half-consumed the day before I ship, recapped/corked and sealed with splicing tape. Standard shipping, although you can pay the extra for o'ernighting if you so desire. I kindly request that you and/or your friends exhale into the growler after filling it but before capping.
  16. If you're so sure of this, I suggest you send him or Natalie an email explaining your plan (including the bar where you expect to be getting this done). And make sure to post the email replies here. I could use the chuckles.
    JohnB87, claaark13, leschkie and 2 others like this.
  17. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

I'm by no means an expert in this field, but I know that if you are gonna get ready to be a troll, you probably shouldn't have a handle like flayedandskinned.
  18. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I'll start the bidding at Biggs''Stache. And only if you gave details on how you obtained the growler.
    KevSal and claaark13 like this.
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I will give you a couple high res shots of Natalie Portman's ass for one. And I don't even care how it's filled, just please no more than 50% urine, thanks!
  20. I'll trade you any whale I have, but it has to be IP at Russian River.
  21. leschkie

leschkie Savant (495) California Jan 30, 2011

That's actually a step up from where I was expecting the bidding to start, as I was anticipating an initial offer of Bully Guppy. You must really want to win this.
    goveia75 and YaKnowBrady like this.
  22. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

Sorry, Kurtis. Bully Guppy can only trade for nail polish, maybe some barrel aged nail polish. I'd offer Idiot's Drool.
  23. If you really can get a growler fill... Which I seriously doubt... I would imagine that you could get a lot for a PTY growler. It's the biggest D.O.N.G. around (maybe the Messy too). I would imagine you could name your price of recent hot releases or 2nd tier wales. No Dave or M. Maybe a Blaaber or King Henry.

Would I personally trade a growler of this or go through all sorts of shady ass things to get it behind Vinnie's back despite the fact that he does things the right way. NO WAY.
    lucas1801 likes this.
  24. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I have the following I can throw in a box for the trade:

-Hopslam vintage 2009 (x2)
    -Romulan Ale
    -Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer
    -A half eaten poptart
    -A picture of me at the pool this summer. I am wearing a shirt, but it's white and wet so it's pretty see through
    -Khazadum's chocolate rain video bootleg
  25. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

You could let me drink it and set me loose on the streets of San Francisco. Have you seen Cloverfield? That was after I took a growler of Younger to the dome.
  26. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Were you wearing a wig?
    MarkIntihar and lurchingbeast like this.
  27. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

This is a public forum, and you're soliciting trade advice for a beer known to be in direct contrast against the brewer's exact statements regarding the off-premise consumption of his product. Just the fact that you referenced wales in your inquiry to value shows how little respect for the beer or the trade community you have, and negates any intent on "hooking up NorCal locals with out of distro wales". How about you just make random trade offers to those with PtY in their wants list, and ask for their most valuable beer in their gots. The volume is high enough that you're bound to actually get what you ask for, most likely.

Or drink it yourself, and be happy about it.
  28. ksurkin

ksurkin Savant (250) Virginia Jan 9, 2009

.rar .whalez bro. trolls = bad.
  29. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Seems likely that he would get a growler from one of these other places if he is going to get one. At that point is it really against the brewer's wishes? While referencing "whales" in your "how much is this worth" post is pretty darn douchey, it's pretty much par for the course these days.

To the OP, you could get pretty much anything you want for it, but you won't be making more than 1 friend in the process.
    franklinn, jrnyc and Photekut like this.
  30. dat stache soaked in the finest white.
    birch, of course.
    51% urine free! live streaming available! (take that as you choose).
    BobZ, Hugonaut13 and gpawned like this.
  31. Oops, sorry I thought they were filling growlers this year. Disregard this thread. Man, some of you guys are pretty curmudgenly.
  32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Lulz, welcome to BA!
    Hanzo, kristalynn, JulianB and 7 others like this.
  33. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Only when someone goes WALL-E hunting with a growler two months from the future.
    pjl44, cfrances33, franklinn and 5 others like this.
  34. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

...I can offer multiples to get it done...
    kristalynn and gpawned like this.
  35. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (295) Michigan May 30, 2010

If you happen to be able to get one, just post an ISO for top wants, make it fair, but something that you really want to try. No need to be a douche and squeeze all the "whales" that can be had. You should catch a little less grief in that post, sorry for all the shitting in this one.
  36. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I have Gingerbread Stout.
  37. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

ftfy
  38. I'd say it's worth trading to your liver in exchange for a hangover the next morning.
  39. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I can't believe all the naysayers here. If kegs of PtY are distributed to bars not tended by Vinnie, it's a very strong possibility, even an inevitability, that some PtY will end up in growlers; and I'm not talking bathroom stall growlers filled 10oz at a time either.

Maybe OP doesn't have the hookup but there are plenty who probably do. Bartenders and other bar employees don't take any sacred oaths and I'm sure a large number of them pay zero mind to whether or not they have Russian River approval before they hook a buddy up or something.