1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the worst beer from your state that you have tried.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'll probably get clubbed for this one but New Glarus Black Top with all those floral hops :p

2. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

Florida Lager

3. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

Without question it would be Magic Hat Mother Lager, this beer actually tastes like vomit and were you to drink this beer to the point of vomiting (which, I suspect, would not require very much of this poison to achieve) the ensuing vomit would likely taste better than the beer itself. A 77 is far to generous a rating form this schwill, thankfully the decision was made to put beer drinkers out of their misery and it has long since been retired.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/96/12743

Frddymck likes this.
  4. Iron Hill FE15 was pretty horrible.

larryi86, ShanePB and ESeab like this.
  5. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

6. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (470) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Reinbeck11 likes this.
  7. Those reviews are pure comedy. I would be willing to track this beer down just to bring it to a tasting so we all could write horrible reviews.

Mongrel, jpvenezia and PerHops like this.
  8. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (680) Texas Jun 29, 2011

Shiner Bock and it's not even that bad really.

Rileyredbeard, KHW and dcloeren like this.
  9. Not around anymore, but the old Landmark Brewery in St. Paul put out some pretty bad beers. Landmark was one of them, and perhaps the most vile, Blue Diamond. One should have known better at $7.99 for a 24-pack of cans. Even my old man (who is known for drinking rough stock) found this beer to be a monstrosity.

Bildo likes this.
  10. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

javlin624 and bccocx like this.
  12. Victory Otto. That shit is worthless. Y'all thought Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon was bad...

13. Dmart1223

Dmart1223 Aficionado (160) Colorado Oct 27, 2011

Das_Reh likes this.
  14. From California, probably Coastal Fog IPA. Can't touch some of the bad beers from other states, but it's pretty gross, nonetheless.

15. babaracas

babaracas Savant (425) Florida Jan 30, 2008

Most everything by Florida Beer is pretty rough, especially Swamp Ape, but there's a brewpub in Boca that seemingly pours a bad pale ale over fruit loops and then puts it on nitro tap... pretty sure no one in the entire state can do worse.

Jazzman27 and kirin like this.
  16. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Agreed. How often does one find "urinal cake" as a descriptor for the flavor of beer....much less multiple times for the same beer!o_O

17. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

CA - Cuvée de Tomme. A complete and utter disaster of a beer.

18. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Agreed. You'll get yourself thrown out of the Sugar Shack for making those kinda comments!!

19. JNauser

JNauser Aficionado (130) Missouri Oct 17, 2012

Zon from Boulevard

sneezye and BottleCaps80 like this.
  20. Apparently you don't drink a lot of local beer.... :D

21. Well the first thing that comes to mind for me is Goose Island Cubby Blueberry. Tasted pretty bad but even worse I felt like throwing up after drinking it. Dont even know why I ordered it, I am iffy on fruit beers, and Im a Sox fan.

DHS1029, joeseppy and creepinjeeper like this.
  22. priwen

priwen Savant (380) Arkansas Apr 1, 2007

Diamond Bear Pale Ale

23. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale, prize-winning my ass.

24. Well there is a bud brewery here in Cali, so I guess Bud? If that doesn't count, probably Heritages 1 Door Sour Red. Shit was disgusting. Nothing but shit overly sweet malt with a huge acetone and diactyl presence. Absolutely awful.

jtmartino likes this.
  25. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I'm from Maine...and I gotta go with Shipyard's Pumpkinhead...yet people here go apeshit over it...I will never grasp that.

26. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (335) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

Track 1 from Roanoke Railhouse...

27. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic...no reason to exist, IMHO.

28. RJ Rockers pumpkin beer. Their beer is mediocre are best (except Fish Paralyzer which is pretty good) but their pumpkin beer is just awful.

29. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

IL: 312 I'm sure there are worse from my state, by not too many local breweries make it down to Central IL.

JimSmetana and vasinger like this.
  30. FL - Swamp Ape
    NC - don't know yet

31. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (395) Florida Jan 2, 2013

In Florida there is an upstart brewery in Brandon called 3 Palms. They made a beer called Ruby Pogo that was on a guest tap at CCB. It was disturbingly bad. tasted like infected cherry paint-thinner. Really, unbelievably poor.

Deltoro and dachshunddude86 like this.
  32. I remember hearing The Beer Snobs podcast trashing that & figured it was just their complete inexperience with sours, but yeah, I've heard it's kinda nasty.

For me? Beaver Brewing's I.Porter.A., Basil, & Saison de Beaver.

33. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I spend enough time in Wisconsin to call out Oso Doe in Heat...gives me the heebie jeebies even thinking about it...

34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (515) Texas Nov 27, 2011

THIS! Wholly hell is this beer awful. Shared it with 2 other people, and we all took one drink and dumped the damn stuff out. Horrible, horrible beer that was rushed to market and priced too high. Fool me once....

35. Probably anything from Throwback Brewery in NH.

EnronCFO likes this.
  36. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

State: Kentucky
    Beer: Kentucky - Bourbon Barrel Ale.
    This beer single handedly almost turned me away from ever trying another 'bourbon barrel' beer.
    some locals love it....i hate it
    fourtuantly, for me, i was not turned away. BCBS, Black Note, Schlafly's BA imperial stout, Old Rasputin XV to name a few have certainly won me over

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.