1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the worst beer from your state that you have tried.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkLaFay

MarkLaFay Aficionado (115) Indiana Nov 25, 2010

granite city anything
  2. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (275) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

3. HopHead570

HopHead570 Zealot (80) Pennsylvania Apr 16, 2013

Stegmaier Brewing Co - Winter Warmer (Wilkes-Barre, PA). Just seemed like a boozy mess when I had it this past December.
  4. mactrail

mactrail Advocate (730) Washington Mar 24, 2009

California: I never miss a chance to crap in the hat of INDIAN WELLS, a producer of cheap, fraudulent, loathsome beer-like products that the ignorant managers of Whole Foods and Fresh & Easy stock up on.
  5. Good to know it wasn't just me or a slightly older bottle, I just reviewed it up in MD and didn't like it at all. It was thick, viscous and all pine resin.
  6. MD: I know I will find one but I don't like DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus, but I know a lot of other people do. It is probably good for its style. Also, Flying Dog's Green Tea Imperial Stout was the worst of both worlds. Stouts are much too strong for green tea. Even if the green tea was super bitter, it would just cancel out the stout. It was flat, dull and plain.
  7. You are wrong. They contract brew at Latrobe in PA. Been doing it for about a year. No where on the can does it say this so I question the legality. The only beer truly brewed only in Brooklyn is Kelso.
  8. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (585) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Olde Main Tongue Punch.
  9. Defiant Brewery in Pearl River NY. The whole brewery is infected resulting in dyasatol bomb beers. I don't have the link but check what the Bros say about their Triple and you'll get the jist.
  10. Sixpoint's cans are brewed in Wilkes-Barre, PA at The Lion brewery (not Latrobe, which is owned by City Brewing Co.). Sixpoint has an alternating proprietorship contract with them, and use their own TTB Permit # - BR-PA-MAD-15000, as noted below (from a Sixpoint TTB COLA)
    "MAD" for Sixpoint's true corporate name - "MAD SCIENTISTS BREWING PARTNERS LLC" and "PA" for Pennsylvania. Their NY Permit is BR-NY-MAD-15000

Some of their keg labels once listed the actual address, but they, too, have since changed to list only Brooklyn last I looked. (Snip of keg label below).

[​IMG]
    It's legal because the TTB rule is:
  11. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

find a single
  12. Oh no, hope its just a temporary thing. Been a couple of years since I hit this place up, but the beer was good, no diacetyl - even in their lager.
  13. PA: Golden Egg from The Bullfrog in Williamsport. Just a sip made me want to vomit. It was a very hazy beer, probably around 2-3 SRM, but they added a shit ton of bitter chocolate nibs. It tasted like moldy grains to start with, but then to add a ton of bitter chocolate on top of that, and to mix it all up with hop flavors that completely clashed... it was a disaster of a recipe. It tasted like bile.
  14. The Tripel review is extremely positive, and pretty much in line with the bottled product that I get semi-regularly. No mention of "d" either:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14359/43008/?ba=bros

Their beers tend to be at their best at the brewery, and I haven't experienced those sort of issues either (on site). I don't know how they keg/cask their beer for distribution, but it's a pretty simple setup overall. Maybe it gets oxidized somehow. Or it could be poorly managed once off premesis.

Krebsy- are you drinking their beers in Pearl River, or at bars in NYC?
  15. songfulchris

songfulchris Disciple (50) Oregon Apr 15, 2013

Oregon: Sweet heat from Burnside brewing. Only beer I have ever drain poured.
  16. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

This. Tasted like crabgrass boiled in water.
    Petela likes this.
  17. HopHeadVA

HopHeadVA Zealot (80) Virginia Jan 26, 2011

Virginia - Brass Canon (fairly new brewery near Williamsburg, but man do their beers suck)
  18. Iron City(Iron Shitty) in Pittsburgh.
    A total yinzer tasteless beer.
  19. Pennsylvania. Ruckus Hoptimus Prime is a disgrace to the former Legacy beer of the same name. The new version is horrible.

20. Never though they were that bad. Ludwig's Revenge is pretty good.

Mudhook is definitely worse. Everything they make is incredibly bland and boring.
  21. I never had anything infected from Mudhook, but I have had some very nasty Roy Pitz beer. I thought the Watermelon one was okay, but it was downhill from there.
  22. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Based on a review of my Hads, it has to be either Hoppin Frog BA Outta Kilter or Indigo Imp Blonde Bombshell
  23. bsuedekum

bsuedekum Savant (465) Missouri Aug 13, 2010

Bud Light
    sfsean28 likes this.
  24. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Schlafly/O'Fallon/New Albanion made a beer that tasted like rubber, & I'm not sure what was going on with Coney Islands Freaktoberfest, but it prevented me from trying another one of their beers.
  25. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

As a new Michigan resident I can confidently say Atwater's Dirty Blonde.
  26. dbattey

dbattey Aficionado (145) New Jersey Jan 12, 2013

In NJ, I have to go with Incompetent Scholar from Climax. Their beers are baaad.
  27. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Shiner Bock
    sfsean28 and Hopportunistic like this.
  28. If I lived in Texas, Shiner Bock would easily be my submission as well. Yuck.
    sfsean28 and dcloeren like this.
  29. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

Tie between the blond ale from Mitten Brewing Company and the Phat Abbot tripel from Arbor Brewing Company.
  30. Mitchster

Mitchster Advocate (585) Michigan Dec 25, 2002

I love Spaghett
    Spaghett likes this.
  31. Mitchster

Mitchster Advocate (585) Michigan Dec 25, 2002

I agree. I've had one of their beers on tap and 3 in the bottle that tasted like they were infected. They had that black olive/urine smell and taste.
  32. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Pretty much anything I tried from Bulldog Brewery....mother of god
  33. CBC IPA.... seems like I am the only one that this brew is just not that good to me. I know of people who drive in from out of state to get this. I just can't get on board.
  34. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (585) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

ah man. I've hung out with the Brewer a few times. He gave me one of those, a Yola, and a Cheri Tart. I've tasted about 6 of their beers at festivals too. Was hoping the Breakfast Stout would be good. I really enjoyed a limited release they did for Brrrfest. It was a "Double Staved" Dethhanger Quadrupel Brown Ale.
  35. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I know Alex myself. He is a good dude, but I can't get behind all of his beers. He has the passion, but still needs to work on his craft a bit I think. Seems like the beer he releases is too "ambitious" for him to take on and doesn't always hit the nail on the head with them. The best beer I've had from them was hands down "The Countess" sour ale that was on tap at the Iowa Craft Beer tent at the State Fair last year. The Dethhanger Quad Brown is pretty good too. Haven't been impressed with his other offerings and Morningwood was just down right awful. :(

I'm looking foward to future releases from CIB though, as I'm sure they'll get better with more time/practice. Heard some of the HyVee's in DSM are clearing out their products though, as they aren't moving.
  36. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

Oh but Shiner Premium is!! It gets my vote for the worst place trophy from the Lonestar State!
    EDIT: Shiner Ruby Red is also horrible.
  37. Short's Bloody Beer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.