1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the worst beer from your state that you have tried.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I feel like this question is impossible to answer. Even the best breweries make stuff that I don't care about, and there are countless small (some terrible) breweries popping up left and right these days.

2. Wow, where to begin? There are so many in the running for that title here.

3. bflattum

bflattum Aficionado (105) Minnesota Feb 11, 2012

Although I agree some of the beers listed aren't top notch, this thread is embarrassing. Anyone ever read the "About" section of BA? Let me help:

BeerAdvocate (BA) is a global, grassroots network, powered by an independent community of beer enthusiasts and industry professionals who are dedicated to supporting and promoting beer.

Based in Boston, BA was founded in 1996 by the Alström Brothers, Jason & Todd, who provide the site as a free resource to ...
    • Wake the masses to better beer options.
    • Give beer consumers a voice.
    • Empower them to learn, share, and advocate.
    • Rally to support the beer industry.
    • Put the Respect back into Beer.
    "Respect Beer." is their motto.
    I remember why I don't come on this site as much as in the past. Now that beer is becoming more mainstream, we've all received a green light to bash/destroy a brewery because we aren't in love with their beer and more people are around to listen to our "expertise". According to these forums, the breweries that want to last will have a lineup consisting of: Quadruple IPA, Bourbon Barrel Whiskey Grain Imperial Stout with Vanilla Beans soaked in Grain Alcohol and a Wild Ale SOOOOO sour your palette can only handle one sip (which is more than anyone else, because your pallete is soooo refined).

Hate to get on the soap box, but these threads are killing me. I do understand there are plenty of threads on here that encourage beer, but when this is the TOP thread in beer talk it's distracting. Rather than talking about the qualities of beers you ENJOY, you'd rather say they just flat out suck (including places like New Glarus, Southern Tier, Victory, New Holland, Firestone, Founders, Troegs). Straight up schadenfreude, folks. I would love the beer community to get back to pumping up beers we dig and not stepping on ones that don't agree with us.

PS schadenfreude refers to the pleasure received from another's pain. It's also a beer by Surly, one of MY local breweries. And it's awesome. Ironically, one of their better balanced and more traditional brews and something I enjoy OVER Abrasive from them. Alright...bring on the pitchforks and torches...

razeup likes this.
  4. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Savant (455) Michigan Oct 13, 2013

Anything Schmoz

5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Part of supporting beer is being critical of it.

6. bflattum

bflattum Aficionado (105) Minnesota Feb 11, 2012

Support: bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.
    Critical: expressing adverse or disapproving comments or judgments

Although contradictory definitions, I do agree on some level. Critical has a place, but specifically critical though. Just starting a thread to vent about which beers you think suck for the sake of saying something sucks doesn't seem all that constructive, does it? "Anything from Brewery X sucks" isn't critical, it's a blanket statement bashing folks who make beer without backing it up. Has that person HAD the full lineup? Do they LIKE the styles offered in the first place? That's a huge part. If you had a brewery's porter and you don't like porters for the most part, yeah it's probably not going to treat you well. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it sucks though. The responses on here have some good points, but a ton are just "This brewery in general is shitty" and I have a hard time thinking that has any validity.

Specific beer thread discussions? Yes, they get critical and that's not a bad thing. People discussing the good and the bad of a beer makes sense. People saying an entire brewery sucks because the thread itself offers nothing more than that? Doesn't seem to offer too much IMO. I enjoy our regional forum to actually see what people are getting from specific beers, and it's not all sunshine and rainbows. I hope folks get their pinkies out of the air and their heads out of their arses and start enjoying beers, not starting threads just to see who "sucks".

7. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (460) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Just the sound of that puts a bad taste in my mouth

darthvohn likes this.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

@bflattum: You'll see that "support" and "critical" have multiple definitions that can be situationally applied in a manner that complement each other. But enough of the literal game.

I don't disagree with your underlying point, but complaining about complainers rarely accomplishes anything. Instead of talking down to a group of people that you disagree with, and making gross exaggerations to make your point, you could change the discussion by posting topics that you're interested in and ignoring the ones that you're not interested in.

And to your point, let's call this one done. It's run its course anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.