1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the worst beer from your state that you have tried.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (Mass) Well if the old AAL's count, then Carlings Black Label, which used to be brewed "on the shores of Lake Cochituate". Tasted like the lake. I think it's since moved production to Canada, and changed the style to a lite.
  2. Kentucky, Sheltowee Gloomsucker Black Ale - I don't know if I just got a bad batch, or if it was too old (or not old enough), but it tasted like a carbonated ashtray. I used it for braising pork with some chicken stock.
  3. 1757 'gw' Beer
  4. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

Shipyard's Monkey Fist IPA aka Monkey Piss. Maine's most aweful IPA
  5. Although we are disgusting, I can assure you we have never done a beer even remotely like that nor do we have nitro.
  6. greg357

greg357 Aficionado (100) Wisconsin Jun 18, 2010

WI - Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. Wanted something light and refreshing for an outdoors, HOT, July graduation party, and to make it worse I bought a 12 pack. Tasted like lemon cough drops dissolved in cheap, crappy malt liquor. Since I was outside, it was my first tree pour (the tree survived). Couldn't give it away after the party. My first real beer faux pas.
  7. Miller, using those loosely in case we're talking manufactured vs. owned.
  8. Baying Hound Aleworks Sour Pumpkin Porter. No link because Baying Hound is a small solo brewpub near Washington, DC and they don't have much recognition. Customer brought in his growler filled with this beer, says he hated it and we could drink it; he'd pick his growler up later. I say again, sour pumpkin porter. It was awful. It tasted like stale, moldy dirt. Pumpkin porter I could see. But sour? Way, way too ambitious. Even if it was done right, I don't think a sour pumpkin porter would be very good.

Edit- The beer is named Sour Corgan
  9. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Bud Light, Ohio.
  10. I love otto and the oak is really really good. Did not find oak this year .

Enjoy
  11. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

While there are several states that stand accused of brewing and distributing outright swill (Any state that has a Budweiser brewery that makes Bud light Lime or select 55, a beer for people that hate beer) No other state can acclaim that their brewery took cold Ho Jo pancakes smothered in Aunt Jemima and cold Bacon grease then set it on fire and put that all in a bottle painted the color of Pepto Bismal. Oregon Wins Voodo Bacon abomination!
  12. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

13. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Drink it with chicken parm, not SO bad
  14. JNauser

JNauser Aficionado (120) Missouri Oct 17, 2012

Their stuff is pretty bad too, like the pepper beer they have
  15. I never really post on these boards. I am pretty busy and would rather invest my time in reading rather than responding to posts. This site is best when it is positive and promotes the best of what the craft beer world can offer. I am disouraged by how many responses this negatively themed thread has received. I hoped that this thread would have died out quickly but find myself discouraged by all of this negativity.
  16. Which Wild Wild Brett was it?
  17. I don't want to be the one to have to put it like this, but the worst beer from here is Pisgah's Baptista. It's worse than the other things they've offered.
  18. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Came into this thread to say this. What a godawful waste of barley, hops, yeast, water, glass, label paper, tank space, and my time.
    devlishdamsel and Lutter like this.
  19. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

cabel car. bought it at bevmo, who had a sign on it that it was a 'gold medal winner'. just crushed. crushed.

as pointed out above, there are many macro breweries in CA- Bud in Van Nuys, Miller off the 210.
  20. From California I'd have to say BAYHAWK PORTER... It is the first and only bayhawk beer ill ever try. Terrible excuse for a beer
  21. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Well, it IS debris free...
    lucas1801 likes this.
  22. You're lucky we let you use the name Carolina, it should be North Georgia.
    CWinchell and ehsteve like this.
  23. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

California - Bud Light. Hands down. Right there is anything from Eagle Rock Brewing Co. (Except the Populist)
  24. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Staples Mills: Stout of Morning Destruction. *Shivers*
    Bildo likes this.
  25. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

That beer almost made me never try sours again. It was cheap at BevMo and it tasted like someone took a really bad, infected beer then added Sour Patch Kids and let it age in the Arizona summer sun for a few months. Then they filtered and bottled it and sold it to me. Bastards.

I never tried it even though I saw it everywhere in California for pretty cheap. The packaging made it look like it was trying too hard to be any good.
    CaptainPiret likes this.
  26. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I hate to say it but anything from Alltech. They make KY Ale. I have not had the stout but the bourbon barrel is one of the sweetest and foulest tasting beers I have had, but I know many people that love it. BBC makes a much better bourbon barrel Ale
  27. DC Brau "The Citizen." I wish they would tweak that damn thing....
    jcos likes this.
  28. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I'm an Okie homer, but Huebert's offerings are not very good IMHO.
  29. Bull Piss from the now out of business nano-brewery Bad Ass Brewery. it was essentially a malt liquor brewed with red bull...
  30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

One? Hell I'm on BA I gotta a laundry list;) Wooden Shoe's Bock beer was funky like a saison. Rust Belt's Coke Oven Stout was a watery let down...As far as brewpub's go Rocky River Brewing Company's food is more exciting than their underwhelming beer, it's no wonder they don't bottle. Small local craft Indigo Imp, I've tried and will continue to try but I'm not sure how they are keeping their heads afloat in their "open fermentation" tanks, been let down time & again. The revamped Crooked River lineup from Blackbox brewing is either bad or my memory is bad as I remember drinking/enjoying their stuff in the early 90's right along w/Great Lakes Brewing, who's Burning River (for me anyway) is too bitter to get through a single bottle.
  31. The brewery on Lake Cochituate in Natick, MA was owned by Carling Brewing Co., a subsidiary of the Canadian Carling-O'Keefe. The brand is still around and brewed in the US, though it went through a number of ownership changes (Carling-National>Heileman>Stroh>Pabst). Pabst still markets it, contract-brewed by MillerCoors, but it appears they won't even admit to the fact on their website - http://www.pabstbrewingco.com/beers/ (Unless Chaz is drinking some old beer up there in Minny Soda).

It's also still brewed in Canada (where it's a Molson product) and in the UK (as just, "Carling" by Coors) where it is among the best selling lagers in the country - #3 in 2010. Even brewed by SABMiller in South Africa, where it is the best selling beer.
  32. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

THIS, without a doubt:

[​IMG]
    bluejacket74 likes this.
  33. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Yep, someone just rang me on that. I took the can print for word, and was duped
  34. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

mostly the local new brewers learning how to brew, some still have not sadly....at least to my taste buds..:D But many do like them, I am just weird.
  35. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

It was actually a version of WWB before they started adding letters/colors. Their first two (released) beers were just called Wild Wild Brett and Petit Guava Sour.
  36. Haven't seen any of the Georgia crew chime in. I'm not one to put down breweries usually, but Red Hare Long Day Lager is probably the worst local. Followed by their IPA.
    Something to be said about a strong distribution network I suppose
  37. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

MD - DuClaw El Guapo. Just awful.
  38. randal

randal Savant (305) Texas Apr 21, 2004

Really? You must not have tried Firewheel Midnight Ninja... It was like someone melted plastic into my glass.
  39. emerge077

emerge077 Champion (925) Illinois Apr 16, 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.