1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the worst beer from your state that you have tried.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (635) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Florida Beer Swamp Ape

I still don't understand why the local bottle shop even stocks it. Blegh

2. That's fine by me, however what is your choice?

3. victory donnybrook stout or victory summer love. i do like victory in general though. lionshead is not great by any means, but it's cheap and tasty enough for being an adjunct.

4. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

The worse Texas beer by far is Shiner Ruby Redbird. Bock is drinkable and very accurate to the style.

5. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Indigo Imp Gate Keeper

6. TaylorK

TaylorK Aficionado (205) Virginia Oct 9, 2012

I hate to say anything bad about beer made in WV since there isn't much. However, I was disappointed in Blackwater Brewing's Gold Ale. Their stout was okay, but I don't think it holds up to some of the other WV beers.

7. Yuengling Black and Tan. Two average tastes that taste terrible together.

8. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Shiner has officially been topped. Have you tried any of fort bend brewing Co's beers on tap? Most disgusting IPA I've ever had, and potentially even the worst beer I've EVER had. I offered to volunteer at the brewery, tasted their beer, and immediately sent an email rescinding my offer to volunteer. Like hell I'm gonna work anywhere that puts out a bad product. I have big hopes for Texian Brewery.

jbeezification likes this.
  9. Bocks are strong beers in Germany that must be >16 Plato= 1.064 OG. All malt since they are bottom fermented.

Shiner Bock does not fit into the German Bock category. It is an American Dark Lager in my book. Adjuncts are used, only 4.4% ABV. Might be a Bock on Ba, not in Germany.

darthvohn and DanE like this.
  10. For worst local beer have to go with Genny lite

11. natty greene's in NC USED to be garbage, but they got a new brewer, prior to about a year or two ago that Weeping Radish was total garbage when the old brewer sabotaged the equipment to get back at the owner, i remember seeing cases of their bombers in everyones house i went to and it was the back up beer for when people ran out of bud light. Now they also have a new brewer who's doing a great job making some solid beers. i think in NC you cant get away with putting out shitty beer for to long, we have to many good options. hell even good breweries have trouble keeping their doors open from competition(i.e. craggie)

CWinchell likes this.
  12. tango22

tango22 Aficionado (195) Maine Jun 13, 2006

The worst beer, in my experience, brewed in Maine, has to be Shipyard's "Pumpkinhead Ale". Tried out the local Greek pizza joint in Thomaston last fall, and the beer choices were for things like Bud Lite, Coors, or Shipyard "Pumpkinhead Ale". I shoulda asked for Bud Lite -- it would have been way better than the Pumpkinhead!
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/139/1932

13. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I forgot about Fort Bends IPA. Maybe I just blocked it from my memory, either way it was surprisingly terrible.

Clonies720 likes this.
  14. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (400) Illinois May 6, 2010

I bought a 6 pack of the Atwater Chocolate Ale a while back and choked down one bottle, ruined a batch of chile with another and poured the other 4 down the kitchen sink. If it was made in Illinois it would get my vote. Since it's not I'll go with Finches Golden Wing. Fortunately only a single can was given to me so it was no cost/no reward.

15. troymeier

troymeier Aficionado (100) Missouri Nov 17, 2005

Bud Lime

16. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I had the foresight to ask for a taste of it at the saucer first instead of buying a pint.

17. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Potosi's "Good Ol' Potosi."

18. TheBandit1

TheBandit1 Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 19, 2011

Big Rock Sour Cherry Tripel. Absolutely love all of their beers, but this was pure acetone. Two sips and I drain poured. Completely nail polish remover. Ugh.

19. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I think that's the lowest "Bros" score I've ever seen.

20. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Savant (405) Ohio Mar 19, 2011

Rivertown Blueberry Lager when I was in Ohio, worst beer I have ever had.
    Have not had any truly awful beers in Oregon yet.

21. After having Flying Fish's Oktoberfish, I really hesitate to try anything else by them. New Jersey just doesn't produce good beer. I hate it so much.

22. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Thomas hooker American pale ale. Stuff is vile

davey101 likes this.
  23. Live in MA now, but lived in NH for 5 years and I'd nominate anything from Nepenthe (still trying to figure out if their IPA even has hops in it) as the worst in the state. That or Redhook Copperhook. Throwback IPA is also up there, but it might not be so bad if it wasn't billed as an IPA

24. Unfortunately there are quite a few beers up for this award in the Granite State;)!

25. Yeah, I almost feel as though Redhook can be excluded from this as they're barely craft at this point.

26. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

For Ohio, I'd say Bud Light Platinum or Bud Select 55 if they're made at Bud's Columbus brewery.

As far as Ohio craft beers go, my first thought was Rivertown Pestilence. But then I checked my ratings and I rated Hoppin' Frog Turbo Shandy even worse. Both are bad.

27. I'm guessing this has been stated or at least thought by many... New Holland Charkoota. Why NHBC, why?

stain3000 and szmnnl99 like this.
  28. IL- Anything from Argus

29. PA. I don't know if it was old or not but Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion was no good when I tried it, but they make very good beer in general (double simcoe)

30. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Clearly, neither of you have had the unfortunate experience of visiting the Italian Oasis in Littleton.

jderosia603 and EnronCFO like this.
  31. Most anything brewed in Cold Springs MN

Bildo likes this.
  32. jeebeel

jeebeel Aficionado (210) Texas Jun 17, 2003

Here in Texas, most offerings from Shiner and Rahr.

n2pux and CaptainPiret like this.
  33. SA Cherry Wheat was the first beer I ever had. I think I was 15 and visiting my sister at SUNY Oswego for the weekend. I swore off beer for years as a result.

BigCheese likes this.
  34. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

PA

Susquehanna Brewing Co. 6th Generation Stock Ale

35. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

Thank you. This has been bothering me since the thread was originally posted. I was too chicken, of course, to say anything--the fear of being banished for persnicketiness, especially since we all know what was meant. Appreciate the way you approached it.

Haven't had a worst in Illinois. Between Two Brothers, Metropolitan, Flossmoor Station, Finch's, and company, I've had a lot of great beer.

36. I think Nepenthe has some wicked consistency issues myself. I've had the shire stout more than once and enjoyed the hell out of it, but trusted friends with reasonable palettes have had opposite assessments of different batches of the brew. The Lotus Eater DIPA first batch was opaque and ugly, but fresh it was a delight in my glass. Subsequent batches have been mediocre at best. The fresh hop ale they did was a grassy disaster.

That being said, the worst beer in NH award goes to The Italian Oasis Restaurant and Brewpub in Littleton NH. Every beer I've tried is either infected or served from dirty tap lines or is a mediocre homebrew level ale.

37. I really wanted to post this beer before reading all seven pages before me. I did do a search though, and I'm pretty sure that no one has mentioned, Badass American Lager. Kid Rock's absolute swill disaster. They weren't even trying, not in the least.

That is at least what comes to mind initially.

38. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

OK, I am going to need to offer a retraction on this one. I had one last night, second time I have had one. Didnt taste like paint remover this time, it was actually pretty good.

jcos and SSEngelbrecht like this.
  39. Ale Industries (CA) "This is The Shit that Killed Elvis"...I'm surprised it didn't kill me and my friends..;(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.