1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's the worst beer from your state that you have tried.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anything by Roy Pitz ugh
    robieobie1, Deadmau5656 and jbaker67 like this.
  2. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Savant (395) Maine Apr 21, 2013

Shipyard Pumpkinhead
  3. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

Miller 64
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  4. Benish

Benish Savant (470) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Leinenkugel's. No disrespect to the beer, it's just not my taste.
    Saviorself likes this.
  5. Theoretically not brewed in NJ, so we're safe.

Cricket Hill's Jersey Breakfast stout because every time you put the damn thing down it foamed over. Hoptonic was terrible as well.
    JG-90 likes this.
  6. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Newport Storm Hurricane Amber Ale

And I'm a huge fan of ambers, but this was pretty bad. They recently have tweaked their look and possibly their recipes so I may give this another chance because I'm a supporter of local breweries.
  7. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Vermont Jul 28, 2010

VT: While we make some of the best, we also have our share of meh. Switchback, Magic Hat, Long Trail, Otter Creek, etc etc. But Trout River Red is the worst I've had from my state. Tastes like pond water. I just poured out a sixer that a guest brought over recently. And I will usually drink just about anything.
  8. anth0ny

anth0ny Aficionado (175) Michigan Jan 5, 2012

Michigan.
    - Short's 'Juicy Tree'. Ground pour after first sip at Winter Beer Fest. Was way over the top like straight pine-sol.
    No hate on Short's I still love them.
    - Kid Rock's 'Badass Beer'. Straight piss.

Edit - Did not realize I already posted here back in January. Badass still stands and Juicy Tree is a new addition.
  9. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (510) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

Well, if we're gonna go with the absolute worst, it's easily the Dry Cell Irish Stout from Tin Man. It's draft-only at the brewery though, and none of their other beers are being distributed outside of my hometown.

As for something available state-wide, there are quite a few that we've stocked at the store that are generally regarded as crap (gotta sell local, even if it's garbage!) and I've never bothered to try them. However, there's one that a decent amount of people like (and it's got a pretty good score on here) and that's Flat 12 Half Cycle IPA. I think it's a shitty one-trick pony. Standard IPA with 100+ IBU. No malt backbone to speak of, just bitter hop water. And I'm pretty sure they use a lot of Summit and Simcoe because it's really vegetal. I don't understand why people like it.
    craft_shannie, Chaney and Kyrojack like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    A true piece of shit classic from NYS.
  11. In Traverse City, a toss up between Mackinaw and Ferment. Mackinaw has flavorless boring beers and never any special brews. Ferment has a lot of/mostly misses and infections.
  12. "Nesher" - I would rank it no more than 60.
  13. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Jester King Gotlandsdrica
  14. Meryl

Meryl Aspirant (30) Massachusetts Apr 21, 2013

Easy. Sam Adams pumpkin, from MA. (Although in truth it was probably contracted out...) Like someone put molasses and the soy sauce packets you get at cheap chinese restaurants into a pumpkin and let it rot. Just offensive.
    douginromeo and RichD like this.
  15. Probably Lagunitas IPA. And it isn't even that bad.
  16. Asics

Asics Savant (335) Washington Jul 28, 2012

Pyramid Curveball. I cannot do it, I understand what kind of beer it is but I just think it tastes bad.
  17. Also, if we're talking my current state (New York), then it'll have to be something from Saranac. Either Adirondack Lager or Black Forest.
  18. Cark

Cark Aficionado (125) New York Oct 10, 2012

You must drink "only" good beer if lagunitas is your worst choice
  19. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Pipeworks first batch of Blue Lady was similar to regurgitated blueberries fermented in a goat's butt. They recalled it and fixed it in subsequent batches, but I haven't tried the good batch.

[​IMG]
    TNasty1126 and Pidzik12 like this.
  20. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I'm sure there is worse, but anything from Mad Anthony Brewing Company comes immediately to mind.
    Kyrojack likes this.
  21. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

22. The brewery has a lot of potential, and I want to like them, but so far what they make is just not for me.

I had a Gotlandsdricka at a dinner with friends and of the bottles we poured this was the only one not finished. To me it tasted like it was brewed with partially burned newspaper.
  23. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

That label just screams shitty beer. This is the best we could do, we were fucked up on Mountain Brew!
    scootsmal likes this.
  24. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (390) California Dec 14, 2008

Not sure which was worse but both were from Three Floyd's: So' Bro and Biggs Stache. Just awful.
  25. Everything from Four Horseman. I don't think I even finished any beer of theirs I tried.
  26. BLACKENEDPLAGUE

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Savant (345) Ohio Apr 10, 2013

Columbus Pale Ale. I was still new at the time but it tasted like hops and water. Will need to try it again though
  27. I try to keep to beers I like. After all the rave Lagunitas gets I tried their IPA and was pretty disappointed.
    Jamison85 likes this.
  28. Petela

Petela Aficionado (165) New Jersey Mar 21, 2013

Turtle Stone Green Snail
  29. Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic. Fucking barf.
  30. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Morningwood Breakfast Stout from CIB Brewery. Ooooof.
  31. O man, I got this beer from my mother-in-law and it doesn't even have name! It's like called BCBS and it was like so many flavors in one beer and too fing smooth that I couldn't even drink it. I drained poured it and then used the other 3 to make stew.
    FinbarrSaunders likes this.
  32. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Floyd's latest ba release, tiberion inquisitor. Haven't had their previous "nail polish" beers but this is yet another. Have a bottle FT if anyone wants to try it out
  33. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I love lots of Dark Horse but Double Crooked Tree was almost a grass pour.
  34. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

35. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

GI Gran Gas - don't know what they were going for on this one
  36. planbee

planbee Savant (365) North Carolina May 28, 2009

Craggie Brewing Toubab Brewe. The only thing I shall remember about that brewery is just how atrocious that beer was.
    MCDub likes this.
  37. Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Barrel aged stout.
    Drain poured after 1/4 of it, even at $10
    MadDogMD likes this.
  38. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

you most not drink many michigan beers, if DCT is the worse beer from michigan then I would say we are doing pretty good.
  39. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Aficionado (185) Arizona Nov 13, 2010

Ed's Cave Creek Chili beer. A historically bad beer.
    Jeremy6566 and BigJim5021 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.