1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's this snot like stuff in my beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Arsenal0328, Jul 15, 2013.

1. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

I had one slide out of a bottle of FMB. A little larger though. Luckily, it floated in the glass upon pouring. Scooped it out before the wife saw it though. We ain't dead yet.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  2. Note to self: Pass on Founder's products.
    JuniperJesus and Fattmatt73 like this.
  3. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

And it'll still be better than FMB, Bolt Cutter and Doom.
    YogiBeer and Horbar like this.
  4. Are you a cop? Maybe they put snot in your beer ah la super troopers. Write them and demand a god damn liter o beer!
    BeersAndBears and FanofHefe like this.
  5. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (445) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

Will do!

I wouldn't go that far! This is my first "bad" experience with them, and it's not that big of a deal really, everything else I've had from them has been awesome!
    ScottyG likes this.
  6. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Obviously......Its a new 'oyster' stout they're perfecting!.......... :)~
    EdTheEdge, AnchorBaby and Crafty99 like this.
  7. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Both FIS and Dark Horse Plead the Fifth constantly have a big layer of this junk sink to the bottom. If my bottles of either one are any more than a month old or so, I will always pour them through a kitchen strainer. Still GLORIOUS beer to me anyway... Ya'll can stop buyin it, send it back our way!
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Do Not Want.
  9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (750) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

had a similar glob a few years back in a bottle of Port Santa's Little Helper. Should just be proteins.
    luwak and MrOH like this.
  10. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Happened to me with Speedway on more than one occasion. Totally harmless.
    MrOH likes this.
  11. It looks like the leftover goop from a Cinnabon.
    DaltonC and Cee-Poe like this.
  12. jdhowe

jdhowe Savant (390) California Mar 18, 2013

I've had a similar "goo" in a bomber of something darker by Port -- I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but the beer was actually fine other than that. The goo I had was a deep brown... I assume it's coagulated proteins that have absorbed some of the beer and taken on its color in some way... almost assuredly harmless but just sort of nasty.
    MrOH likes this.
  13. Not any trub I've ever seen! Trub generally sinks... That looks like some sort of gelatinous yeast remnant. Either way, I think it's safe to say that Founders didn't mean for you to get it.
  14. I found a glob of tar/ flem like substance floating at the top of my breakfast stout after I poured it into a glass a few years ago. It was about the size of two quarters. I have never seen anything like it before.

It was a darker color than in the picture, the flash made it a lighter color.

I emailed it to Founders, I can't remember what they said it was though.
    [​IMG]
  15. I had a larger glob than that in a bottle of Curmudgeon this year. It was delicious.
  16. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (410) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Never.... drinking..... straight..... from.... the.... bottle..... again
  17. Harmless, most likely. Probability of freaking me out, most likely.
    luwak, EdTheEdge and Arsenal0328 like this.
  18. Occasionally I see something that looks remarkably similar when leaving sweetened ice tea out of the fridge too long. My assumption has always been that it was some kind of fermentation byproduct and it certainly smells that way. No idea what it would be in beer but regardless of whether it's harmless and nondestructive, it should not be there.
  19. Marmite...
  20. wow!! anything is possible I guess
    concur as well- not that I usually follow this practice but even weirds me out about cans as well
  21. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Same thing awhile back
    luwak and InebriatedJoker like this.
  22. Yes it is coagulated proteins. Happens a lot in stouts for a reason I don't know.
    MrOH likes this.
  23. Looks like you got an advanced sampling of Founder's new Kombucha Stout
  24. Looks like some funky yeast blob that could be something that'd turn up on back end of the run. Your dog probably had some amazing and potent gas later on.
  25. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I don't always drink snot rockets.

But, when I do... I drink them out of the appropriate glassware.

:D
    Gfunk, kerry4porters and lic217 like this.
  26. If CrackerJacks can put a prize inside their product package, then so can Founders. :D
    luwak likes this.
  27. Looks like kombucha mother
    Christopper likes this.
  28. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Look what I just found when I cracked and poured this can of Big Axe IIpa. I tweeted the brewery and am awaiting a reply! Should I drink the beer anyway?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    luwak likes this.
  29. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I hope I don't find it in the can you sent me. :confused:
    Lorianneb likes this.
  30. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

I've seen those in stouts before but never in an Ipa. That looks like someone hocked a lugie in that beer , remind me never to try anything from them
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  31. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Ha... me too, man. I have not had this in other cans I've opened, so hopefully it's just a one of thing. :(
  32. It looks like bacon
  33. Seen this in a can that had a small hole so the beer was bad, but never in a fresh can.
    Curious to hear their response
  34. Cracker Jacks FTW
  35. ISO founders snot rocket
    monty_capuletti and spicoli00 like this.
  36. I haven't seen snot like that since way back when when Sam Adams was getting into the double bocks, and some of the early Bells batch beer. Gotta tell ya'll. If you see the words unfiltered, and bottle conditioned. Relax those bottles, or don't pour the whole thing. Leave the last bit in there, or pull the sheets over your partner and carpet bomb them with some wicked farts later.
    1up and riemster like this.
  37. MrOH likes this.
  38. Tell them you want a free case of Backwoods Bastard or you will report them.

Quite frankly, it looks like eggplant from a sub.