1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's this snot like stuff in my beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Arsenal0328, Jul 15, 2013.

1. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

I had the same stuff in a breakfast stout recently!
  2. flavirufus

flavirufus Zealot (75) Illinois Nov 4, 2011

I've found them in both Founders breakfast stout and serpants stout by Lost Abbey. I emailed both. Both said what I was seeing were protiens coming together. The whole case of breakfast stout had them inside. Lost Abbey asked for my address and shirt size. Recieved a Lost Abbey t-shirt and teku glass a few days later. Founders offered nothing, which I found a bit odd. I would like to know what causes it. Rushing the brewing process perhaps?
    BottleCaps80 and Geuzedad like this.
  3. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Sediment broski
  4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

If you saw the shit I've seen out of wine bottles you'd freak
  5. I think that's where Marmite comes from.

Regardless, I'd skim it out and drink it anyway. I'm not squeamish, and that's still damn good beer.
  6. question is did you drink the beer?

note: i did not look at EVERY response to the thread yet...
  7. D'you think that was a joke?
    Wiki:
    BurgeoningBrewhead likes this.
  8. Try to contact founders, the problem is they won't care. Great brewery, terrible business, that's why I don't sell their beer anymore.
  9. I found the same thing in 4 bottles of Founders Breakfast Stout about a year ago. I reported it twice hoping to find out what it was but never received any kind of return correspondence from them despite following up with several voicemails to their quality control guy http://imgur.com/TAKH9
  10. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I had the same thing happen from a Founders product while hosting a tasting. I sent Founders a picture and got no responce.
  11. Luckytiki

Luckytiki Savant (305) Indiana Jul 15, 2010

This seems to be a fairly common issue for founder's and it's also apparent they don't care to respond or fix the "problem". I would assume they know what it is... maybe they should throw an answer in a FAQ
  12. Good Lord, man! Haven't you ever SEEN Strange Brew??? Drop whatever you're doing and get thee to thy Netflix queue immediately! That photo is at least as gross as a mouse. You ought to be swimming in free brew by Labor Day.
  13. thebaptista

thebaptista Initiate (15) Michigan Jul 29, 2013

The "Snot Like" substance in your beer is not an imperfection or Founders fault for that matter so lets stop all this, I get free beer talk. Its called "chill haze" and it happens when the beer is stored at improper temperatures. If there is a fluctuation of temperature, due to the buyer or distributor improperly storing it, the proteins coagulate instead of staying suspended in the beer. It can also happen if a beer is aged for too long, more so with Belgians but applies to all. It is not bad for you but is very unappealing when drinking because its like having bits of jello in your beer or may make your beer look like a snow globe. Ive seen this in many beers and drank them. You will not get sick, beer is sterile.
    NHhomebrewguy likes this.
  14. Oookaaay. Since you obviously can't recognize a joke when you see one, let's address your belief that beer is "sterile." Good luck with that, my friend. Even a 10.5% ABV stout can be home to all kinds of stuff you wouldn't want to ingest, and would end up very unhappy if you did. Try downing a pint or two from poorly maintained, bacteria infested tap lines sometime and tell me how sterile beer is.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  15. Uhm... No!

OED3:
  16. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

LOL. Thanks for the good laugh. I'm not trying to be mean, but I cracked up when you said beer is sterile. You probably think a dishwasher sterilizes your glassware, plates, utensils, etc.
    MarioM likes this.
  17. billyshears

billyshears Savant (345) Maryland Jan 27, 2008

hops are extremely toxic to dogs. yeast isn't good for them either. just something to keep in mind...
  18. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Welcome to BA. This is not the same as chill haze I'm afraid, and even your comprehension of how that happens is slightly off. Others have addressed the 'sterile' comment so I will not.

Odd? Should they have given you something for free you think? No doubt you were traumatized, but you can't really expect to sue for millions if you burn yourself on hot coffee.
    No wait...
  19. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

He probably meant to say sanitary.
    NHhomebrewguy likes this.
  20. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Bah!
    [​IMG]
  21. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

Just had noticed this in a bottle of '13 Serpent's Stout I drank on Thursday...
  22. That's the one! I think it bit me, too.
  23. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Here is the reply I got from the brewery today...

Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for letting us know. We are currently looking into this. So far we have only heard of one other incident like this and we have thousands of cases in the market. We also personally pour a lot of this beer at festivals and have never ourselves seen anything like this. I would love to know the exact location (store and town) where you bought the beer so we can see if this is an isolated incident pertaining to a certain batch that went to a specific location. Would you mind letting me know?

Also, just so you know, our beer is pasteurized so we do not believe that there is anything harmful in the beer. We think (judging by the photos you've sent) that it is somehow proteins that are coagulating in certain cans of beer. Although, it is obviously very hard to tell from photographs without actually running a test on the substance itself.

We plan to reimburse you in full for your purchase. Please let me know what that purchase price is and we will reimburse you right away.

We apologize sincerely for this. It has always been our goal to produce the very finest products available. We are sorry that you had this experience and will do whatever we can to rectify the situation.

Thank you very much!

Jason Medvec // Big Wood Brewery LLC
    Brewery Address:: 2222 4th St. // White Bear Lake, MN 55110
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Good response from them!
  25. flavirufus

flavirufus Zealot (75) Illinois Nov 4, 2011

Founders asked me for a bottle date, and that they were going to look into it. I don't have any bottles left, but if anybody else wants to post up a bottle date from founders bottles that have this in them ill forward it to the brewery. Not sure what will come from it but it doesn't hurt to try.
  26. BottleCaps80

Agreed. I was emailing back and forth with multiple people from the berr brewery today. They replied promptly and ask seemed concerned with the issue. Good response for sure!
  27. DanGeo

DanGeo Savant (345) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

Had the same thing in a bottle of Founders Imperial Stout early this summer from a 2012 bottle, but didn't think to contact the brewery...looks like it would not have mattered anyway. The more I hear about Founders, the less I like the direction they are headed in.
  28. Goose Island Light? (I can probably think of worse insults, but this one's OK for now)
  29. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Had the same thing in this years Curmudgeon.
  30. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

You're still trying to get something from them?
  31. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Cracked open my last Founders Impy Stout. BINGO! Winner!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    luwak likes this.
  32. BottleCaps80

I forgot to post an update in this thread about my communications with Big Wood Brewery about this. Not only were they concerned about their product, they also wanted to know where I got it, when I got it and what I paid for it. Just today actually, this awesome package and a reimbursement check for $18 arrived to my surprise. I never once asked them for anything. Top notch customer service if you ask me!

[​IMG]
  33. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (445) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

For anyone wondering, I just opened my last Imperial stout. Every single one of the 4 pack had the protein gunk in it, after the first, I just scooped it out and it was absolutely fine.
    luwak likes this.
  34. Brokejaw

Brokejaw Aficionado (135) Iowa Oct 3, 2013

That's why beer doesn't make for a good Kleenex.
    1up likes this.
  35. lol laughed way too hard at this
  36. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (445) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

I must have bad luck, same exact thing just plopped out of a bottle of Perennial Sump. Hopefully I'll get a response from Perennial, never heard anything back from Founders. I just want to know what it is!

[​IMG]
    luwak likes this.
  37. Looks like someone back at Perennial forgot to stir, they probably missed the sides or edges.
  38. Who cares what it is! Just deep-fry it, mix it with the Sriracha that's in the picture and call it a mock-duck. It's probably the same protein...
    cavedave likes this.
  39. Beer is alive. How on earth could it be sterile?
  40. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I have 2 bottles of Serpent Stout and this terrifies me. I know it's probably harmless, but it certainly takes away from the appeal of the beer once poured.