1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's this snot like stuff in my beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Arsenal0328, Jul 15, 2013.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I had something similar in a bottle of Two Hearted Ale a few years ago, looked like someone shot a wad in my beer. It was at a beer bar too and she replaced the beer.
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of unfiltered beer and a tight production schedule.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  3. jae

jae Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 21, 2010

Was it sour?
  4. mtskier

mtskier Aficionado (230) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

Had one of these in an Old Raspy a month or two back. Fished it out and tossed it, drank the beer, everything tasted fine.
    glass_house likes this.
  5. Dude can I borrow $20 dollars?
    DNA_craft likes this.
  6. Had the same thing happen to an Oatmeal Yeti recently. I fished it out the best I could and dumped it down the drain and finished the beer. I normally love all Yetis but I'd be lying if I said this didn't lessen my enjoyment that night.
  7. looks like sediment from the bottom of the barrel or the beer was on the shelf to long
  8. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (375) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

I think the poster of the "strerile" comment was confused. Pathogens can't live in beer, but it certainly isn't sterile. Or maybe he was thinking of urine - until some recent studies urine was thought to be sterile.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  9. never have i laughed and been so terrified at the same time. i don't think i can look at the rest of my FIS 4 packs in the same way after reading this thread. guuuhhhhhhh!
  10. pathogens sure can live in beer. it is a nutrient broth that will grow most bacteria very well. that is why keeping brewing equipment sterile is important.
  11. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I stopped buying Founders for this reason. Slimed more than once.
  12. teledeluxe

Let me clarify. No known human pathogen can survive in beer.
    lic217 likes this.
  13. Nice! Do those koozies fit the pounders nicely? I suppose they do! I tried Bad Axe and the Morning Wood, I'll have to try the others now, they deserve a bit of support.
  14. you mean you didn't whine about it and then act condescending to other people on the message board? good man.
  15. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (445) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

Oh shit, am I about to get banned?
  16. Let me clarify. Many know human pathogens can survive quite well in beer. Take microbiology. Beer is basically the same thing as nutrient agar. The alcohol content isn't sufficient to inhibit most bacteria. Sour beer is based on this fact. A lot of human pathogens are very hardy bacteria. Also there are several eukaryotic pathogens that would thrive in beer.
  17. where did you hear this? It is inaccurate.

18. teledeluxe

Google it. It comes up a lot.

I was under the impression that was why people brewed and drank beer instead of water back in old times. It was safer to drink beer because it didn't make them sick like the water did. I guess it had more to do with boiling the water though. Wonder why they just didn't boil their water and let it cool before drinking it...
  19. YEAH. Why would they go the extra mile and brew beer?? senseless.
  20. TRUB, I hear it de-coagulates fat cells.
  21. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (370) Florida Dec 31, 2006

Rogue Voodoo Snot Loogie!!!

Solid green bottles. Cases of it sitting on shelves now! And next month. And the next. And pretty much every month after that with all the other Rogue Voodoo beers.

Side note: Friend of mine got a four pack of Old Rasputin and every bottle in the pack had this.
  22. Hasn't anyone here had a Fantome? Seems like half of their bottles have little surprises in them. :p
    Doesn't affect the taste however, just ambience.
  23. this is total insanity. people brewed and drank beer in old times for the same reasons they do today. maybe it's all over the internet, but when you hear something that doesn't make sense, you should question it. Why would beer be an unacceptable environment for bacteria? It is full of nutrients. Alcohol is a byproduct of fermentation, which I'm sure you know. Anaerobic bacteria make energy mostly from fermentation. I'm guessing you knew that too. Add it up. You probably had all the pieces in your head to recognize this as bs
  24. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

In good and rare beer the occasional oyster-without the shell- precedes the pearl. Just count yourself lucky.
  25. Consuela

Consuela Zealot (90) California Jan 9, 2014

I had it happen in all 4 cans of a Ten-Fidy.
  26. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

human pathogens surviving and/or growing in beer is, as best as I can tell, still up for debate in food science. some food science experts certainly do lend credence to the claim that they can't (check out chapter 39), while some research indicates that - in just the right conditions - certain types of pathogens may be able to survive for a period of time. i'm not sure a full-scale dismissal (or acceptance) of the adage is in order, but if you do have some good evidence of human pathogens growing in beer, please post it - i'd be really interested in reading more about it!
  27. lic217

lic217 Savant (410) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

It is in one of the beer brewing books that I read.

Either the joy of homebrewing or Palmer's book.
  28. lic217

lic217 Savant (410) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Alcohol is a toxic substance. In fact, as most of you know it will kill the yeast that we use to brew at higher concentrations. Not only does beer have alcohol which inhibits bacteria, but beer is also acidic and contains no oxygen. Although there are some bacteria that can live without oxygen, many cannot (obliggate anearobes). My belief is that the combination of alcohol, slightly acidic, and a lack of oxygen all contirubte to making beer hard for bacteria to survive in or all my homebrew would go bad (because my sanitation practices are not perfect and either or most other people or small breweries for that matter). In fact beer was a nutrient agar before the yeast changed into an entirely different substance all together. Oh and bacteria do not like hops....
  29. zefarrett

zefarrett Aficionado (195) Maryland Oct 19, 2013

this thread is what nightmares are made of… :eek:
  30. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Did you post pics to ther facebook or twitter accounts? Sometimes you have better luck getting a response using social media.