1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's up with hop sediment in bottles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by goochpunch, Aug 23, 2013.

1. goochpunch

goochpunch Savant (450) Texas Jun 24, 2005

I never experienced this before in my life until about a month ago. I was drinking a Prairie 'Merica (amazing). When I reached the bottom, I decided to swirl the bottle around and get the last swig of yeast. I was surprised to discover that this was not only yeasty but hoppy as fuck. Like when I make a really strong hop tea. This just happened again tonight with a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack. Is this a new trend?
  2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

If it's dry hopped and unfiltered, it tends to happen. Don't drink the sediment.
  3. Wait until you try a Heady

4. Wait until you SEE a Heady.
  5. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

Ya..just yeast settlement.. Any unfiltered beer will have this. Nothing new. Drinking the yeast wont kill you, actually rich in some vitamins, might not taste great, but nothing bad.
  6. Here's some sediment I wouldn't (and didn't) drink:
    [​IMG]
    Geuzedad likes this.
  7. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

mmmm sediment
    darky and jman005 like this.
  8. I love the sediment in a Rochefort, but I wasn't about to ingest that half-inch gray nightmare.
    Geuzedad and the_trystero like this.
  9. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Always leave the sediment behind - then drink the sediment by itself. I figure it's just like taking a brewers' yeast supplement ... right?
    MaaikeMae likes this.
  10. Has anyone seen hill farmstead vermontoise? Ill try to get a pic posted later
    afrokaze and BottleCaps80 like this.
  11. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Doesn't bother me a bit. When I homebrew, I intentially dry hop with loose pellets (no muslin bag or filtering mechanism whatsoever)...so that some of that hop debris ends up in the finished product. Love it.
    spookyspeeg likes this.
  12. LSMroz

LSMroz Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2013

Had some cans of OTWOA and didn't realize there would be sediment, so poured the whole can the first time I had it. Drank amazing!

Next can I poured more carefully and left the sediment in the can. Drank only OK.

Every other can, I didn't leave any sediment behind. Big difference!
    kbuzz likes this.
  13. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

What's up with it? It is a byproduct of the American brewer's obsession with making beer that tastes of nothing but big citrusy American hops, and the processes that it takes to get that flavor into the bottle.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

What's with all this don't drink the sediment talk? Drink up, it's good for you!
    darky, spookyspeeg, Geuzedad and 7 others like this.
  15. kbuzz

this is correct
  16. nauc

nauc Aficionado (165) New York Mar 17, 2013

i swirl the last half and drink it
  17. DanE

DanE Savant (400) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

I would drink it. All those yummy vitamins and minerals.

18. 2 BeerAdvocates 1 Glass
    darky, davemathews68 and dwagner003 like this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I like the sediment.
  20. looks like poison
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I love the white floaties in HT.
    spookyspeeg likes this.
  22. kbuzz

Frank Gallagher would drink it
    Joe_Grizzly likes this.
  23. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

The sediment in a fresh, dry hopped IPA is different from the sediment in a Belgian or the like. It is not just yeast and a few precipitates. It is a lot of macerated hops along with those sediments. It is pretty unpleasant in my experience, both in commercial examples and my own beer. But it is the price you sometimes pay for ultra fresh dry hopped flavor. It's not like a hefeweizwen or Belgian, where the dregs are like a different but very interesting beer compared to the other contents. It is basically not drinkable when the hops are in there. I do a careful pour and lose the last half inch.
  24. brywhite

brywhite Savant (320) California Aug 27, 2009

I think that stuff is full of vitamins. So maybe it's healthy.
  25. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I usually look at the bottle and if I see sediment when I pour it I usually leave a bit in there. It's not that bad, but usually it'll make ya gassy :p
  26. goochpunch

goochpunch Savant (450) Texas Jun 24, 2005

I think some people weren't understanding my initial post. I understand that bottle-conditioned beers have yeast sediment/lees at the bottom of the glass. I usually leave these in the bottles after pouring my beer. I'll also usually drink this sediment direct from the bottle. What is relatively new to me is having hop sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I've had so many ultra-hopped and dry-hopped beers in my day, but I'd never experienced hop sediment until a month or so ago.

I guess I'd been lucky for a number of years and just narrowly avoided it. Some people obviously have poor reading comprehension skills and/or read threads while shithoused.
  27. The sediment tends to accumulate in older IPAS. The older the beer the more sediment. There are obviously some fresh IPAS that have massive sediment but you seem to already "see" the difference.
  28. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

I usually drink the yeast especially in Belgians. I really appreciate it but the after effects...well lets just say my wife DOES NOT appreciate it...
  29. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

I am so going to start a "Show us your vile looking sediment!" Thread on a Friday night sometime.