1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

What's up with Madison, WI?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by da_bulls, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I'll be up there Saturday-Sunday 2/16 - 2/17 for a concert. Could use some suggestions on good beer stores, beer bars, late night food in the area. I'll be staying downtown at the Doubletree near the State Capitol Tour, concert is at the Orpheum.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. mjpolzin

mjpolzin Savant (290) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2011

I am a little out of the loop since I don't get up to the campus area as much anymore but I would recommend the following......
    1. Brickhouse BBQ-for both food and drink. They have an excellent beer list and great food. I don't know how late they serve food.
    2. Riley's Wines Of The World-Right next door to Brickhouse (both are on West Gorham). Great selection of craft beers.

jegross2 and da_bulls like this.
  3. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,020) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I agree, you can walk over to Brickhouse and Riley's pretty easily from the hotel.

Another one to check out is Old Fashioned, the burgers are great and they have a pretty good tap list featuring WI crafts.

craft_shannie and da_bulls like this.
  4. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Here are the beer option...

Brickhouse BBQ and Coppers Tap House are on the west side of the square - usually best options.
    Maduro (Best of the Four), Tipsy Cow, Merchant, & Argus (These Three are Really Hit & Miss) are on the east side of the square.

Ale Asylum's new brewery and tap house is about 5 to 10 minute ride away.
    Dexter's Pub (Check Facebook) can be the best option but would be a 5 to 10 minute ride also.
    Mason Lounge(Check Facebook) on Park Street and could be worth the 5 minute ride.

As for stores - right now everyone has about the same options, hit the Woodman's on the West Side or Sun Prairie.

da_bulls likes this.
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

No mention of the Old Fashioned yet? I'd say right down town Coopers Tavern and Old Fashioned have the best beer selection.

If you don't mind a quick venture outside of the square, Brasserie V is the best place to eat and drink. They have a fantastic, fairly large, well rounded beer list. They just went thru a great expansion, and added some taps, so I think they are up to around 35 or so. Their food is fantastic. Also, Malthouse was just voted as one of the Best Beer Bars in the Midwest and part of the top 100 by Imbibe.

Who you seeing in Madison?

da_bulls likes this.
  6. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (395) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

+ 1 on Old Fashioned. And it's easily within walking distance.

da_bulls likes this.
  7. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (95) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Umph's?

da_bulls likes this.
  8. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (135) California Jul 21, 2010

I'm always up for an old fashioned

da_bulls likes this.
  9. emerge077

emerge077 Champion (985) Illinois Apr 16, 2005

10. Thanks for all the suggestions. Brasserie V looks like something we should definately check out, my friends are big fans of Belgian beers. Looks like we will be stopping at Riley's for our Wisconsin brews. Will end up stopping at Coopers or Old Fashioned before or after the show, both look to have nice beer selections and Coopers is real close to the Orpheum. Brickhouse looks like a good place to grab a bite to eat and is real close by, it's either eat there or at Coopers. For those wondering, I'm going to see Umphrey's Mcgee. Thanks again all.

11. MarcatGSB

Umph, the masters of useless noodling. *Note I'm an UM fan, just like to raz their extremely die hard BEST BAND ALIVE fans. Have a good weekend man!

da_bulls likes this.
  12. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (350) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Malt house is a must, one of the best selections I've ever seen. No food though.

Ri0, da_bulls and jegross2 like this.
  13. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Stores:
    Rileys
    Star
    Steve's
    Woodmans (less of a selection, a little out of the way, but cheap prices)

Bars:
    Malt House
    Dexters (especially if you go to the malt house)
    Brickhouse
    Maduro's
    Tipsy Cow
    Glass Nickel
    The Mason
    Brasserie V (Belgian-y stuff)
    The Merchant

If you want to try Titletown's stuff, I also recommend Old Fashioned. Their food is great, beer selection overrated. Green 19 is awesome.

Opus and Merchant are awesome places for cocktails too.

da_bulls likes this.
  14. MarcatGSB

My mind is completely blown here. Why do people not rep Brasserie V like they should? Them and Malthouse are the only places that actually care about serving you a quality product, and staff people that can back it up. I'm amazed.

Ri0 and jegross2 like this.
  15. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Brasserie V is great, one of my best friends works there. They might be in the middle of construction -- call first. And they're a bit out of the way from downtown.

The Old Fashioned has 100 beers on tap, every one of them a Wisconsin brewery (almost all, if not entirely, small breweries). And they have an entire menu section of old-fashioneds: like six kinds. And the best. deep-fried. cheese curds.

Try Forequarter, a new kinda foodie place on E. Johnson, for nice food, great cocktails, and a small but dependably good tap list.

da_bulls likes this.
  16. Thanks for the list Jeff. :D The Malt House will be considered on the way to Madison or on the way back since it's on the northside and out of the way (somewhat, we're coming from the Chicago area). We will definately be stopping at Brasserie V on the way there or at the least, on the way back since it's on our way into Madison. I would agree Old Fashioned over Coopers based on the beer and food menu but is OF is slighly out of the way, but more than likely worth the extra 5 minute trek lol. Places like Maduro and Tipsy Cow seem to be open real late but are on the east side of the State Capitol Tour, for the most part I will be staying on the west side near the hotel and the Orpheum, so it's either walking or take a cab, which is a real possibility if we're up to it.

17. MarcatGSB

As I'm reading your post, I got an email from Brasserie V (mass mailing email) that they have been done with construction for 3 weeks. Cheers!

aefbjo likes this.
  18. jegross2

Maduros, tipsy cow, opus, merchant and Great Dane are all a VERY short walk from the orpheum.

19. Stevedore

To expand a little more:
    Brasserie V and Malt House so far are the two most beer-centric places I've been to in Madison. But they are a bit out of the way from someone staying by the Capitol. I assume OP is bringing a car though, so it's not that much of a stretch to get out there as Madison is not a large town.

Great Dane is a fun place but it does get more of the younger college crowd- depends what you're looking for. I've heard good things about Merchant but never been there. Again, Old Fashioned is a Madison institution imo and offers a good WI-centric taplist. Get the Old Fashioned burger!

Speaking of burgers, Weary Traveler out on Willie Street is great. Try the Bad Breath Burger. You can also try Dotty Dumpling's Dowry which is a few minutes' walk from the capitol too.

Ri0 likes this.
  20. Ale Asylum for drinks and food
    Great Dane for food and drink
    Malt House for great beer selection.

21. jegross2

I miss the bad breath burger. It and the old fashioned burger are WI's finest. I also love the Danes pub burger and Mayan chicken wrap plus stout BBQ for the fries

22. o_O huh?

What are you basing this statement on, may I ask?

23. MarcatGSB

From my experiences with the other named "Beer bars" above, Old Fashioned and Coopers in particular, they are bars they serve good selections of craft beer. They however, have not trained their staff to the knowledge level that you find at Brasserie V and Malthouse.

24. whats up with madison??? ITS AWESOME! Thats whats up with Madison!:)

25. jegross2

Oh don't order any IPA out of bottle at old fashioned. They absolutely suck at rotating their bottles.

26. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (425) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

I will be driving through Madison in a couple weeks and would like to know if I should venture all the way downtown to Riley's or would stopping at woodman's be suffice, just looking to grab a few shelf beers that are not readily available in IL( NG, CW and any others)

27. Stevedore

Woodman's will more than suffice for your NG/CW needs.

28. Stevedore

I should add, if anyone of you will be in Madison this Thursday evening, be sure to stop by Alchemy. They're tapping 4 kegs of barrel aged porters/stouts, including BCBS and BBS.

29. Bump for any last minute tips in the area, any new decent tappings in the area? Leaving early tomorrow and if anyone has any La Petite Mort for trade, I have a BCBCS I'm willing to part with, IP downtown Madison of course.

30. There will be a one week until Bockfest pre-party at the Capital Tap Haus on the 16th. Not sure if the Blonde Doppelbock will be available there or not.

31. Ri0

Ri0 Poobah (1,050) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Didn't see http://onebarrelbrewing.com/ mentioned. Not too far (3-4 blocks?) from Capital on Atwood Ave.

32. One Barrel is at about 1900 east or roughly 2 miles from the Square. It's not hard to get to but it's a hike.