1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's up with the Gose craze?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (625) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Not sure about the brewing process but it seems that aside from the Widmer Bros. Marianberry Hibiscus (not very good), I haven't seen any on the shelves in my area. Magic Hat had one that was weak as well. I see SN and Sam Adams both tried to release and they both had low ratings. Then I see Cigar City, Westbrook, Lost Nation making some really solid ones but none are easy to obtain in my area. Flying Dog tried a rareties release/ not big scale and it didn't get rated well either. So will any of the big national or regional players step up and release an easy to find, well made Gose anytime soon or will it always be the rare/limited release versions? I've had Lost Nation's version, so I know what a good one tastes like and would love to be able to have on a regular basis (driving from MD to Vermont to get growlers just isn't practical). I just feel if easily available and if it could be priced reasonably (I don't know about the brewing process/cost to produce Gose), it could be our next session/lawn-mower beer to be the next step to offset the session IPA craze we're currently engulfed in this spring.

2. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Savant (350) Georgia Oct 21, 2004

This post makes me hope we get some of this years Westbrook Gose soon in GA lol

3. bubseymour

Just wondering, how does Westbrook Gose get released? 6 packs, bomber, keg only? Just wondering the format its sold in and price.

4. Some one gave me what I believe was a 12oz can. It's been awhile. I would love to just be able to walk into my local store and pick up a case of cans.

abelapophis, ChanChan and FarmerTed like this.
  5. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

6-packs, $12ish. And delicious.

6. uturn

uturn Advocate (535) Florida Sep 19, 2003

JigsawRecords likes this.
  7. It also comes in half barrel and 1/6 keg. We don't have any right now but we should be able to pick up more next week.

Also, I saw on my ETA sheet an Anderson Valley Gose coming out sometime soon. It's called Kimmie Yink and it'll be priced very close to Westbrook's.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  8. Will we see an authentically produced Gose made by a U.S. brewery on any scale anytime soon?

9. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (550) Illinois May 19, 2008

Off color scurry will likely see a bit of distro in years to come.

afrokaze, cnbrown313 and spicoli00 like this.
  10. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

11. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

We get Leipziger Gose which is good but at $5-6 a 12oz it is a tough purchase

cnbrown313 and uturn like this.
  12. Almanacs is quite good and I don't even like the style.

ONovoMexicano and Mouserat like this.
  13. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

It's a pretty obscure style, and kind of an off shoot currently for American brewers to make.

If you have some good buying and store options, the German classic standards are hard to beat (Leipziger, Ritterguts), but many of the obscure ones made by some of the US side brewers I have to admit have been great also. But those I have found in bars, and not bottled.

Perhaps if more people demand the good ones, then perhaps we'll see them more often. :)

14. Westbrook Gose was plentiful and easy to find in ATL last year. And even then it was heralded. I'd have trouble believing that it would be hard to get this year.

15. Off color troublesome is very solid, easy to get in chicago area, not sure about anywhere else.

16. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Savant (350) Georgia Oct 21, 2004

I got it in 6 packs in GA last year don't remember the price off the top of my head but somewhere between 10-12 sounds right but worth it... Plan on buying a couple cases when it comes back here

17. I'll take a nice Goze over the recent mandatory flood of "session IPAs" being released by every brewery lately.

18. Off Color Troublesome just started hitting the DC area, very good!

19. As mentioned, Ritterguts and Leipziger are both stellar, but a tad pricey. I think Ritterguts should be available anywhere Shelton Bros. distributes. Not sure about Leipziger.

Another one that isn't widespread distro but can be gotten online that I thought was great is Golden Gate Gose from Almanac.

You're right about Widmer Bros. though, OP. Really not very good at all.

I have yet to try Westbrook's, but it's on my list.

20. Tried the Anderson Valley at Raleigh Rare Beer and it was Great. I love the Westbrook Gose. Had to drive to Rock Hill on Friday to get it. The Off Color Troublesome is okay. More like a true German Gose and not as tart but at $18 a sixer in Charlotte...they are VERY proud of that 4% or so beer! I'm really looking forward to getting the Anderson Valley.

21. supercodes

supercodes Savant (280) Maine Jun 23, 2013

Don't know if you get any Cisco Brewers in Maryland, but they make a Gose. I am not a huge fan personally, but it's one of the few native made Gose's I've seen around. Have you tried looking for Berliner Weisse's? I think they are probably a bit more plentiful. White Birch has a fantastic one.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  22. the gose revolution is upon us!

but seriously, there were a bunch at EBF this year. someone's bound to make a decent widely available example.

rather likes this.
  23. Mouserat

Mouserat Zealot (80) California Dec 12, 2013

I agree with almanac in California

24. josmickam

josmickam Savant (250) Georgia Apr 19, 2013

I've been told by the couple of beer-guys at the stores that I go to, that we should have received Westbrook's Gose in the first week or two or April. Now they're saying that Westbrook chose to distribute (all of) their last shipment of beer (BA Siberian Black Magic Panther series) to Atlanta and skipped Savannah. I tweeted Westbrook this past weekend and they said they will be shipping to Savannah next (this) week.

edit: Their release schedule says they'll be making it from April-October.

25. ASak10

ASak10 Savant (320) Colorado Jan 2, 2014

It's pretty available here in Colorado, but a bit pricey from what I recall ($18 for a 6 pack, maybe more? I'll have to check next time).

26. Inglewood

Inglewood Savant (390) Illinois Jan 28, 2013

try off color if you can get it

27. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (360) Massachusetts Jun 25, 2013

Saw troublesome in ct, but it was being sold by the bottle for much much more than it sells for in Chicago

28. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Good question. I think yes. I bet that when we do it will succeed fantastically.

I wonder how well the authentically produced Gose in Germany is doing? Maybe the few brewers making it will stay in business long enough for American brewers to learn it from the source, or for them to be able to export it to folks who appreciate styles of this nature here in USA.

And BTW, just how authentic is this authentic Gose you talk about?

"By the outbreak of WWII, Rittergutsbrauerei Döllnitz, between Merseburg and Halle, was the last brewery producing Gose. When it was nationalised and closed in 1945, Gose disappeared. But only until 1949, when the tiny Friedrich Wurzler Brauerei opened at Arthur-Hoffmann-Straße 94 in Leipzig. Friedrich Wurzler had worked at the Döllnitzer Rittergutsbrauerei and was the only person who knew the secret of brewing Gose.[1]

Before his death in the late 1950s, Wurzler handed on the secret to his stepson, Guido Pfnister. Brewing of Gose continued in the small private brewery, though there appears to have been little demand. By the 1960s there were no more than a couple of pubs in Leipzig and possibly one in Halle that were still selling it. When Pfnister died in 1966 the brewery closed and Gose disappeared again, this time seemingly forever.[1]

In the 1980s Lothar Goldhahn, who was restoring a former Gosenschenke, Ohne Bedenken, decided that it was only fitting that the revived pub should sell Gose. After quizzing drinkers to ascertain its precise characteristics, Goldhahn began to search for a brewery to produce his Gose. None of the local breweries were keen on making such an odd beer, so eventually he chose the Schultheiss Berliner-Weisse-Brauerei on Schönhauser Allee in East Berlin. The first test brews were made in 1985 and production started in 1986.[1"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gose

Roxie_B, TastyIsBeer, frazbri and 8 others like this.
  29. JISurfer

JISurfer Champion (950) Hawaii Dec 10, 2002

With the hype around Westbrook Gose this year, it's not been as easy to find, at least for me and I live in Charleston. Last time I went to get some, I literallery grabbed the last 2 6ers. They said they would be getting more in a week or two.

cavedave likes this.
  30. Off color usually runs around 9-10 for a sixer.

31. ODYSEYY

ODYSEYY Savant (270) Ohio Jul 30, 2013

It's $15.99 in Ohio. It'll be hard to justify that cost more than once if it doesn't get more reasonable. Although it was very good.

32. I, too, hope that the reason an authentic one has yet to be made by a U.S. "craft" brewer is because someone very talented and dedicated is out there perfecting his/her craft and truly dialing in the style -- instead of just throwing some lactobacillus, salt, and coriander into their wheat beer and calling it a "Gose."

WhatANicePub likes this.
  33. Choc out of Oklahoma made one that I had some time ago.

Edit - same guys who made the first Grodziskie in the USA that I know of. Think they convinced Weyermann to oak smoke wheat malt.

thewrongtone and herrburgess like this.
  34. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Possibly, but back to one of Cavedave's central questions about Gose. Just how authentic is any Gose, whether produced in the US or Germany, given that Gose basically went extinct for several years and a receipe was "reverse engineered" by someone who may never even tried it himself by reading a piece of paper and picking the memories of folks who had drunk their last Gose beer many years before. Can we truly say that any brewer of Gose is doing more than "just throwing" some ingedients into a pot and calling the result a Gose?

FarmerTed and cavedave like this.
  35. There is more than enough process information out there for anyone interested to, at the very least, make an informed attempt at getting somewhere close. As German brewers of regional specialties generally prefer to keep those beers regional (crazy idea, I know...), I doubt any of them (some more, some less authentic than others) will be distributed on a big scale anytime soon -- which was the OP's question. As to the question of how these beers are doing in Germany: the times I have been in the pubs that serve them, they seem to be doing very well indeed...as a regional specialty that locals and tourists alike travel to the source to drink.

cavedave likes this.
  36. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Why does everything need to be "widely distributed"?? A better question would be "Is any brewery near MD going to make a solid Gose?"

Of course you could just wait for BL-Gose.

37. bubseymour

I've never seen Cisco beers around the area, but Anderson Valley beers are in our bottle shops in Frederick County MD. I'll be on the lookout for the Kimmy Yink. Most Anderson Valley brews are very solid.

38. bubseymour

Berlinner Weisse is just as elusive around MD and Gose. You're best chance to find and sample on occassion at a craft bar (I think Burley Oak from Berlin, MD sent some kegs to our area last summer). Aside from the DFH offering that is the only one I've seen in the shops that aren't too hard to find.

39. bubseymour

I agree it could be a large regional brewers, so if DFH, Flying Dog, Duclaw, Victory, Troegs, etc (all well stocked in my area along with probably 10 other well distributed brewers in surrounding states) made a good one, stuck in 12 oz / 6 packs and sold for $12 or less I'd be extremely happy camper.

40. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Remaining focused on the question of authenticity of any Gose, as part of a sub-thread created earlier, it seems to me that we agree that all current versions of Gose are, regardless of how regional or popular they may be, plausible reconstructions of an extinct original?

One possible consequence of that reconstruction is that nobody anywhere is brewing a beer that can be unambiguously said to be "authentic Gose."

Indeed, the fact that such reconstructions are based on paper records, inferences regarding possible overlap or non-overlap in brewing processes and 10-20 year old taste memories does not guarantee authenticity and still leaves their authenticity open to question given the potential fallability of such sources of information. Add into that a lack of direct experience with brewing Gose "on site" so to speak, which many consider extremely important as being a critical element of "getting it right," and we have lots of room for doubt that anyone anywhere has an "authentic Gose."

Using a non beer example let me provide an illustration of one type of thing that can go wrong with such reconstructions. When Rockefeller funded the original efforts to reconstruct Colonial Williamsburg, all the experts were assembled to reconstruct/recreate the paints used in painting woodwork, etc.. For several years we had a commercially available, widely distributed collection of "authentic Williamsburg paints" being sold in the US and regionally quite popular in some Southern states. These colors were quite popular for several years with a goodly number people redecorating their homes in "Colonial" style using the "Colonial Williamsburg" paints. Several years later, after the development some newer analytical techniques and painted objects that had been stored well away from light, etc. it was compellingly demonstrated that the pant samples used in the first reconstruction were badly faded and that the original colors had been much more vibrant and intense. Paint fading, while seemingly obvious after the fact didn't get its full due in the original efforts to reconstruct and recreate Colonial Willamsburg, despite records, overlapping processes, etc., etc.