1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Friday I dogged work drinks (it was at Establishment and the best thing they had on tap was Coopers Green (also; it's Establishment) so I left immediately) in favour of drinking at home; had two pints of Pacific Ale, an Old Raspy and a Southern Hemisphere Harvest. Nice stuff.

Now I am drinking Prickly Moses Raconteur (nice beer actually, good IPA! On par with Icon imo). Might have a Moo Brew 2011 Vintage next, seeing as I have two bottles now. Trying to do lesson plans at the same time. Deary me.

2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Had a Hop Manna yesterday. Was really damn good. Then Zythos, which is not too good, followed by an Armageddon, which was delightful.

Tonight will probably be some 3 Fonteinen.

3. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Had a Stone Arrogant Bastard followed up with a 2 year old Orval this afternoon. A nice SA Cabernet with dinner and then a small nip of Utopias to finish off. I'm wondering if I'll regret drinking more tomorrow morning or if I should have a scotch.

Coming up tomorrow is the latest release of Clout Stout and a Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend for my birthday.

Lukie likes this.
  4. danieelol

happy birthday for tomorrow David!

5. danieelol

I'm about to crack an Old Raspy. The Moo Brew (thanks to Mr. K) was boozy, waxy, and dare I say it a little bit Belgian. It tasted really good when I had some chocolate with it though. Lots of dark fruits coming out.

6. The UK forum also had a long running post and that was also blocked, suspect they slow forums down overall.....

7. HopDog Sparkling..... oh dear, first not quite so good HD in a loooonnng while......

8. danieelol

thanks, I was tossing up whether or not to get this when I next head to Platinum. I presume it's based on Coopers Sparkling. Oh well, still got Redhopulus, Children of Darkness (wasn't amazing at the taphouse but it was probably the taphouse's fault) and their anniversary to buy when I next hit up platinum

9. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Finished off a growler of Moo Brew Belgo. Good stuff, really enjoy that beer.

10. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

I quite liked Zythos. It's the least exciting of all the Epic IPAs but they're all good. Currently drinking a Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock. Popped up randomly in my local and I bought a few, it's really nice. Had a He'brew Origin pomegranate thing a bit earlier. Not too fond of it.

11. More like Coopers Pale actually - but not quite on the mark.... and i really don't want to 'dis the dawg' because of some sensational recent beers of theirs I have had.....

I quite liked CoD at Taphouse as well, but better from bottle...

12. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Against my will at a Buck's party on the weekend had Absinthe, Tequila, Vodka, Canadian Club, cognac and stale Little Creatures.

Just horrendous.

13. joecast

As bad as the post bucks hangover?

14. dgilks

Golden Blend is fantastic, a perfectly balanced Oude Gueuze that went fantastically well with some ripe Epoisses and St Maure cheese.

Now onto the Clout Stout. I don't think I can justify the price again but it is very, very good and a great way to celebrate.

brendanos and Lukie like this.
  15. spicelab

Happy Birthday David.

Definitely chose some worthy beers to mark the occasion.

16. dgilks

Agreed. It's definitely preferable to five different spirits and some stale LC. :cool:

17. Enjoyed the following last night.
    Brew Fist Caterpillar
    Gunnamatta, interesting beer but not worth the price
    Kooinda Black IPA, one of my favourites
    Red Duck Belgian Vanilla Porter
    Red Duck The Ox, first time in a long time is had a Red Duck beer and enjoyed these two

18. Krankyfw

Krankyfw Disciple (65) Australia May 31, 2012

I had Prickley Moses Raconteur at Hart's Pub yesterday. After looking at the reviews of it from last year I assume the brewer has changed the recipe. It's a very good IPA with a well balanced use of centennial and cascade hops.

19. danieelol

No Redhopulus at Platinum yesterday :(

This weekend's beer buying is set to seriously exercise my wallet :(

Too many good beers to buy and order

20. ahhh - Adam got the Malt Bombs in this week, did he? :D

21. Just had HopDog Super Beast - a very interesting beer, that one, just posted an 'odd' review, didn't really know what to make of it apart from that it was good overall.

Be interested to read other reviews as they come in....

revdrjbob likes this.
  22. danieelol

I had it last night. Very wheaty and quite boozy. Was hoppy too. And a little sweet.

23. Parrotshake

In keeping with the theme, Hopdog Redhopulous and Children Of Darkness, and Moylan's Hopsickle. All winners. Maybe Black IPAs are actually a thing. Had a few good ones lately. Also split a Red Duck RA #2 and Smells Like A Pony Braggot with my flatmate much earlier. Both interesting. The RA was a bit one dimensional and weird, the braggot was pretty nice, would drink again.

24. danieelol

I'm drinking an '11 Murray's Best Extra Porter

This is really boozy for an 8%er. And booze is the main flavour.

LeeroyAgogo likes this.
  25. spicelab

My thoughts exactly about Raconteur.

Funnily enough, I also had it at Harts last Wednesday and found it a pretty solid IPA.

26. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

4 Pines Canadian Maple Ale. It's too sweet for me, but each to their own.

I shouldn't mention it, as it is advertising, but.... I will be drinking it so it counts. We're putting Old Rasputin on the hand-pump. I'm giddy with excitement (well, excitement and my medication). I will be drinking as many pints as possible on Sunday of this. Which lets be honest will only be two. Damn medication.

Wrong! That sounds like the best cocktail ever! I want 9!

27. Parrotshake

Black Marlin. BWS across the road from me has it marked down to $7, whereas it's still $12 at Dan's up the road. I asked the guy why but he said he'd never seen that beer before.

28. joecast

Had a Hoptimum last night. Lacking a bit of aroma but flavour turned up to 11.

29. iStout - man it needs some time that one......

30. danieelol

Yesterday evening I went to the Taphouse with spicelab and sampled beers such as Bridge Road Barry Cranston (hoppy brown ale, not much purpose to it though imo) Moylan's HH Our Dark Secret (nice, like a Black version of Hopsickle), Mussel Inn Smoking Swine (interesting, unique flavour; enjoyable), and Mountain Goat Before the Dawn which was "randalized to within an inch of its life" with toasted macadamia and coconut

Good stuff

31. MordeciaFunk

I like that quote. It sounds how someone would end up after a meeting with the Gestapo or STASI.

32. danieelol

the quote is from spicelab :)

33. MordeciaFunk

Tonight will be a magnum of Chimay Blue and as much of a carton of Kwak & a bottle of Highland Park 18yr Old as myself and my friend can drink. This is why I love (other peoples) engagement parties, the opportunity to binge drink and to do it well (expensively).

Although it did lead to an awkward conversation with Mistress Mordecia. MM: 'How can you afford to spend $300 on alcohol for this party, but you can't afford to buy me that dress?' It seems that 'Because I love beer and whisky more then you.' is neither the correct answer nor a funny one as I have been informed.

34. dgilks

Giving the Schneider Pinot Barrel Weizenbock a go tonight. Way too much fruit in this with the barrel covering up the beer but I'm still gutted that I didn't manage to get a hold of a bottle of the Pinot Barrel Eisbock that they made.

35. Lukie

Drinking some 30th Street Pale ale later on, and another E*Star, which is such a massive brett bomb.

dgilks likes this.
  36. dgilks

I love that E*Star. Had a growler of it last weekend and it was simply phenominal.

37. danieelol

Mikkeller Black Whisky last night. Intense beer, but really good

Then I tried had a bomber of Heretic Evil Twin. Good stuff too, but having those two in one night was perhaps a little ambitious.

The best part of the Black was that when I poured it there were actually rainbow bubbles in the head like in an oil spill on the road.

38. Lukie

30th Street is fantastic. They call it a Pale Ale, yet it is 10x more an IPA then most IPA's in Australia.

39. Mikkeller Black Buffalo! 19.3% Black aged in Buffalo Trace barrels. Shared it with friends and resented them for it. Awesome beer. Also thoroughly enjoyed the new Mountain Goat BIPA and also the Heretic Worry.

Red Duck Smells Like a Pony (SLAP) Braggot - didn't find anything appealing about it. Thin mouthfeel, lacking complexity, smelt of unhappy yeast. Would have appreciated some barnyard funk! Could hardly notice the 13.7% alcohol.

40. Lukie

>Mikkeller Black Buffalo! 19.3% Black aged in Buffalo Trace barrels. Shared it with friends and resented them for it. Awesome beer.<

It is always the one problem with sharing great beer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.