1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

They'd want to offer free shipping given what they charge for stuff. That place is damn expensive!!

2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

It's why they can offer "free shipping". We all know what freight costs are to Australia, so we know how much they must be making to do that.

3. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

A couple of Coopers Best Extra Stouts a bit earlier while out on the town. Haven't had one in a while, still quite fond of it. Somewhat later some Temple Pale Ale, Lost Abbey Inferno and Anchorage The Tide And It's Takers. Disappointing, good and great respectively.

4. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

How do you claim the free shipping? Some of the stuff on there looks like a good deal to me- I don't know where else you can buy a lot of those Struise and other beers.

5. Lukie

Still works out cheaper to buy lambic and pay the shipping from etre gourmet.

Much cheaper.

6. danieelol

how much would their shipping normally set you back per box?

7. Lukie

Works out 17 bucks a 750ml from memory.

8. danieelol

oh...fuck...that's very very expensive...I still think belgianshop would've been cheaper for what I was after

9. danieelol

Just finished a pseudo-tasting at mine with a mate.

Mikkeller Festival Special Edition 2011 - Stella 2
    AleSmith Horny Devil
    Mountain Goat Before The Dawn
    Murray's Anniversary Ale 6
    Cooper's Vintage 2012
    Murray's Best Extra Porter 2011
    Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Had no trouble getting through the Mikkeller Magnum, was good...Personally I found Horny Devil pretty much completely sickening to drink, even after approximately 2 years of age. My mate finished the bottle for us.

Before The Dawn was good actually. Hops had a mixed reception but the roast maltiness was nice.

Murray's Anniversary Ale 6- wow, this beer is really coming into this own. Murray's Hit & Miss Quotient is getting more contentious than ever. This was a brilliant barleywine which is only just coming into its own. Sometimes Murray's are amazing, sometimes they are terrible.

Cooper's Vintage 2012 was pretty meh as expected.

Murray's Best Extra Porter 2011 was another surprise. I swear their beers are schizophrenic. The previous times I've had it I've been totally underwhelmed...tonight it was awesome. Really nice roasty porter mixed with some fruity notes.

Stone & Wood Pacific was great as always.

Anyway net result of the night is I may have (yet again) turned back from a Murray's hater to a fanboy.

10. Krankyfw

Krankyfw Disciple (65) Australia May 31, 2012

I think the offer of free shipping may have expired. I just picked what I wanted and there was no fee for the shipping. I'd only buy stuff from them that I can't get here but at their prices it might be better to save up for a beer drinking trip to Belgium.

11. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

There is some Struise available in Australia. Some obscure importer in Sydney has got Pannepot, Pannepeut and Tsjeeses but the prices are sky high.

The stuff that Belgian Shop was good on though is the common stuff. I saw savings of several dollars a bottle of things like Rochefort 10 and a couple of bucks a bottle on the likes of Orval, St Bernardus, Rodenbach, etc.

12. Lukie

Struise is coming anyway. Be here end of November.

13. dgilks

Phoenix?

Lukie likes this.
  14. danieelol

Yer I've been buying those beers for a while. I didn't think they were hugely expensive. I was more interested in the rarer Struise beers e.g. all the Reserva barrel aged stuff etc.

15. dgilks

Maybe not obscene but the wholesale prices I was shown suggest that retail would be close to $15 a stubby which doesn't cut it when Rochefort 10, St Bernardus 12 and Westmalle Tripel are more like $7 to 10.

As for the Reserva stuff, I'm still annoyed that Struise has stopped shipping with UPS to Australia as that was the only way to make it affordable into Oz.

16. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Had a small tasting last Saturday for some budding beer geeks.

In no particular tasting order: Heretic Evil Twin Red Ale, Bridge Road/Nogneo Saison, Beer Here Dark Hops, 8 Wired Double Coffee Brown, Nogneo #500, Sierra Nevada Southern Harvest, Bairds Morning Coffee Stout and Lindemans Kriek Cuvee Rene.

Heretic probably 'won' on the night for me, closely followed by the Coffee Brown. I was a bit disappointed by the other guys reaction to the Kriek. For most of them it was their first sour, but I was hoping they would like it more then they did. Oh well.

Slightly more recently, I had the Last Drop Schwartz Dark Lager. I thought it was f___ing amazing. Really nice malty flavours with a bit of nut and dark fruit. Yum!

17. The Last Drop Hefe really impressed me last week, picking up a couple of 5l kegs on Saturday for some oktober fest action.

Temple Midnight growler was sensational, better than I remembered the bottle being.

18. MordeciaFunk

Agreed. I really like the Hefe too. Some of the stuff that Jan puts out is really impressive. I actually want to try his Hefe in our hoppinator with some Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin hops to see how it turns out. Knowing my luck though, I will probably make an abomination and have a very large angry Czech man beating me for ruining his beer.

19. dgilks

Do it. You know you want to.

20. Had another growler of Temple Midnight last night followed by Mikkeller Black Buffalo, way too much bourbon for my liking.

21. MrKennedy

And i thought a few of us had a big one in Sydney last night!

22. MordeciaFunk

To paraphrase Obi Wan 'He's more beer drinking machine now than man, twisted and drunk.'

Back on topic, I had the Sail and Anchor Lark's Foot last night. Ummm, the bottle seems nice. Otherwise no comment.

Also, a couple of days ago I had the McLaren Vale IPA. Have they changed the recipe? It seemed like a lot less passionfruit and other fruity flavours then usual, or am I crazy.

23. MordeciaFunk

We're following your evil bird advice. It will be in the hoppinator next Tuesday.

24. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Tried the last drop oktoberfest at Clancys Freo today. Alright but a bit ordinary compared to their other beers. Had a local crystal malt taste to it. Comforted myself with a tank 8 belgian pale and rye esb from Mash (both bloody excellent).

25. ah dear - tonight was a Mornington Penisula IPA , sad and past it to this palate..... then a well-within date (06/13) bomber of Punk IPA which was also dull and flat tasting. No smell was a giveaway of things not to come....

26. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Don't you hate that. I reckon we have far too many imports at the moment, and not enough local fresh beer. Drinking a few local fresh ales today really reminded me how good beer is at or near the source. Although here is Perth it is either Fremantle or Swan Valley with pretty much nothing in between.

Tiring a bit of massive bottle shops where even the Coopers is a year old (yesterdays experience) due to the huge selection of imports.

27. Krankyfw

Krankyfw Disciple (65) Australia May 31, 2012

My beer turned up (at my neighbours downstairs, thankfully I was at home brewing) & I had a Westvleteren XII. It's a great beer, the best Trappiste I've had for sure but not in my top 5. Later on I had a 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze, and it is just amazing. It's not a beer for everybody but if you like Lambic and can appreciate subtleness you like this beer.

28. MordeciaFunk

Is it the selection of beers in pubs, or the lack of breweries? If it's the selection in pubs, I'm with you brother. Until the small bar scene really takes off and we have those niche markets, that's how it's going to stay, sadly.

Which bottleshop was it? I just go to the Hyde Park Dan Ms. The turnover is sufficient enough so you don't get caught out like that. Plus the clientelle is varied enough so that most stuff gets picked up. Students get their Coopers, the wankers get their (insert craft beer here) and drunks like me get our carton of stout and bottle of gin and scowl at anyone who makes eye contact...

I was once told that subtlety is not telling your lady friend she is fat, just crushing up the diet pills in her food. Glad you enjoyed the Westy. I've had one and it was amazing! I had to share it with 5 people, so the 330ml didn't go that far, but was a very enjoyable experience.

Almost forgot why I'm here: I had the Weinhenstephan Vitus yesterday. Somedays I love that beer and somedays I can't stand it.

29. MordeciaFunk

I know most of you don't care what I have on tap but....Kooinda Black IPA just ran out....which means.....
    Robinson's Old Tom is going on tomorrow. I'm a very excited camper.

30. for me last night it was a Big Wednesday- nice even if a day late - then a Hardcore which sadly I found in my fridge after it had been there just a tad too long, and a Red Duck Burton., OK-ish.

Hmmm - well, at least one of those breweries claims of 'no preservatives' thus ensuring a nice clean and clear head the day after, was downright off the money. Dear dear..........

31. danieelol

I too get a headache from preservatives such as alcohol

32. Bridge Road B2 Bomber Mach 2, freakin lovley stuff. Had a growler for tomorrows tasting but that went with the squealer - back for refills tomorrow then i suppose.

33. Lukie

RR Supplication to thank myself for being wonderful and doing a 12 hour day at the shop.

INCREDIBLE. Absolutely incredible.

34. MrKennedy

Bit of Lord Nelson stuff yesterday, Victory Bitter at the pub and then Three Sheets in bottles at a Chinese Restaurant that night. Less of a fan of their bottled stuff.

Should drink more often at Lord Nelson, nice pub.

Thought i'd get in a shameless plug for the Aussie BIF II, details here: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/nbo-aussie-bif-ii.49322/

35. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Shameless Owen, really.

Anyway just enjoying a stone lukcy basartd (think its my favorite of the bastards). Also hit happy hour at the yard house this afternoon. Had a Deschutes chainbreaker, golden road burning bush (really good) and gf double stout. Won't tell you how much it cost me cause it wasn't much ;)
    Cheers guys!

spicelab and MrKennedy like this.
  36. danieelol

I have drunk 0 zero alcoholic beverages in the last 2 weeks. Unless Christmas puddings count.

37. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

You are so close to being put on a timeout and you don't even know it.

38. MrKennedy

Just don't go near MS Paint

39. Been drinking lots of Moon Dog Henry Ford thanks to some discounted cartons.

Also had a nice growler of Cheeky Monkey Hagenbeck, can't wait to hit the brewery up in a fortnight when I'm down that way

40. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

where did you get the hagenbeck, that beer is bloody good

foles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.