1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The boys at Cellarbrations Carlisle, they have a swag of WA beers available for WA beer week.

2. foles

foles Savant (430) Australia Jan 28, 2007

+1, close to beer of the day for me at the Cellarbrations Carlisle LC brew day. Bootleg barleywine was very good also from memory.

3. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

It is WA beer week and Tippler's Tap in Brisbane have 9 Feral beers on. I have been in a few times already for a sneaky Watermelon Warhead on my lunch breaks and I can certainly see why everyone likes it. I could never get tired of that beer. Also sampled some White Hog, Karma Citra, Raging Flem and Razorback earlier. Good impressions all around.

Also just had some Moor Illusion Black IPA and Hoppiness IPA. Both worthwhile. Fixin to crack a Holgate Empress at some point.

4. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Moon Dog Great American Challenge. I'm trying to convince Mistress Mordecia to try it's namesake but no dice so far. Probably for the best. The beer is lovely though. I will have to console myself with that I guess.

5. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (535) Australia Jun 15, 2010

MoonDog need to brew and bottle a TIPA already. DIPAs are for wusses. 13% or nothing.

6. 2 x free Billy B's Dark from the IBS. Happy Days !

7. Is this on tap at the Sail?

Great Friday wind down consisting off: Saison DuPont, Sierra Beer Camps 45 & 65, HR Fredericksen and a 2011 Goose Island to finish the night.

8. danieelol

You don't even wanna know what I drank tonight. Riverside 55, 77, all the Beer Camps...Kooinda Milk Porter...Dugges Holy Cow. I may have had multiples of some of these bottles. Riverside is a great brewery, their stuff easily held up to the international hop assault, I'll say that.

9. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

HAH! You are far too kind.

Had a bunch of stuff at the Sail tonight for Night of the Barrels. I shouldn't be typing. But, everything was good ,except Bootleg Grandfather. Horrendous beer. I literally couldn't finish it.

10. danieelol

Fantastic Sour Ale when we had it. I hope you weren't expecting a barleywine.

11. foles

foles Savant (430) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Must not have been the same beer they had at the Carlisle brewday. I thought i was nearly as good as Feral Razorback. The Barleywine from the Old Swan Brewery on the other hand was pretty ordinary.

12. Abbotsford Invalid.

13. Lukie

This was Barrel Aged Grandfather.

14. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Yes, it's on tap now. Not too much left though. It should last until tomorrow if you can convince Mrs Hopswiller to journey to Fremantle.

15. Lukie

2008 Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze.

I just noticed I have more Drie Fonteinen in my cellar then Cantillon at the moment. That will change next week.

16. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (395) California Jan 15, 2010

By Sending them to me. :D

17. Lukie

:( But then means less for me :(

18. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (395) California Jan 15, 2010

but at least you cantillon to 3F ration will be back on par.

19. Lukie

Funky E Star.

The world needs more brett bombs.

20. spicelab

spicelab Savant (435) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Does this mean that rumours the container got smashed/the bottles were accidentally filled with Mountain Dew/the ship got redirected to the US aren't true?

21. Lukie

They were true. All the ABT 12 was destroyed, but Cantillon came out unscathed.

22. danieelol

23. The Grandfather has always been barrel aged!!

24. Lukie

Yes, I remember now, because last years got an infection.

Drinking a Rodenbach Vintage 2007. Incredible.

25. I had a 2011 Grandfather recently and it had aged very gracefully - even given terrible cellaring conditions. No taints in my bottle. Probably the best Grandfather I have had to date!

26. spicelab

As danieelol alluded, we had it in January at a blind tasting and nearly everyone found it one of, if not the best beer of the night.

And it was up against some serious international competition.

Reactions when it was unveiled were pretty funny.

27. Currently enjoying my 5l keg of Hagenbeck out the front of my hotel room fresh from the Cheeky Monkey Brewery,such a well balanced enjoyable Belgium IPA. Also had My Antonia on tap at Settlers and some rather plain beers at The Grove, one was even called 'Boring Beer' and let's just say they got that right.
    Roll on the Gourmet Escape tomorrow

28. Lukie

Are you down there for Heston? If so, you need to let me know how it is when you are back up.

29. Was danielol being sarcastic, or was your bottle sour too?

30. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I remember it being sour as well but I can't remember where/when I had it.

31. spicelab

I wouldn't have picked it as a Barleywine, but it bore more of a resemblance than a sour.

32. spicelab

You had it at the same tasting, so it's not surprising your recollections were a bit hazy from that night.

Now that I think about it more, what was so amazing about it was the melding of sweet and sour (and certainly not the cheap Chinese food type).

MrKennedy likes this.
  33. dgilks

Oh god. That tasting.

34. Unfortunately Heston didn't make it and had to cancel at the last minute. Was still a great event with plenty of quality food and too much to drink. Breweries present were Eagle Bay, Duckstein, Little Creatures and Cheeky Monkey. Beer of the day was again the Hagenbeck with Ducksteins Thunder IPA going down well also.

35. Radeberger. Saving some cash and some braincells.

36. mungus

mungus Savant (270) Australia Oct 19, 2010

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere and Fig Jam, on account of Woolies suddenly stocking them.

37. spicelab

I'd be interested to know what you thought of FIGJAM. I thought it was really insipid, at least in comparison to most IPAs of similar ABV - then 2 days later found out it won gold at an International event.

38. mungus

I thought it was solid but not amazing. I've got another bottle which I will attack tonight as I need to try again

39. mungus

Yeah there's definitely something about it that I can't put my finger on. Sort of thin and fruity, but not in a tropical hoppy sort of way. I'll buy it when Woolies run out of the Northern Hemisphere

40. dgilks

Just been out at the Canberra Brewers Family Christmas lunch. Fantastic afternoon with good food and a keg of the Wig & Pen's Beetroot Berliner Weisse. Properly tart, great flavour, 3.5% and it looked like Creaming Soda so all the kids were jealous.

danieelol and MrKennedy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.