1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trumpy

trumpy Aficionado (115) Australia Apr 21, 2008

Ballast point Big Eye. good to see Murphys stocking most of the SN range too.
    i thought FIGJAM was ok, not to the standard of Hop Harvest, but a reasonable stab at the style for a local. I agree with spicelab though, it is lacking something if you take the ABV into account

2. Cheap red wine from Aldi ...

danieelol likes this.
  3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Will be drinking Horral Mega Blend tonight.

4. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

A variety of great beers shared tonight but the highlight was unanimous - Women of Beer Hildegarde's Biere de Garde!

5. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Yeah er, about that...

brendanos and MrKennedy like this.
  6. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Bitburger after a 37 degree day. And I got the carton at German prices ($30 at BWS). Although I've slipped in a Weihenstephan Kristal also. And I'm off to Germany Saturday week - life is good!

deathevocation likes this.
  7. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

From what I can grab from your posts Mr Foles, your entire life the last few years has been travelling the world drinking beers, with occassional stays at home drinking beers. Damn you! :)

Eagle Bay ESB. A bit more hoppy then the last batch (to me anyway). Delicious as always though.

foles likes this.
  8. MordeciaFunk

Send growlers!

9. Lukie

Cuvee des Jacobins may well be the best beer I have had all year.

That is possibly the biggest call I have ever made in my beer drinking life.

Parrotshake and foles like this.
  10. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Must admit, we do a bit of travelling! Work hard, play hard! And for some strange reason the beer countries get a good workout. We are going to Germany, Turkey and Dubai over the xmas period. Squeezing as much in as possible before the pitter patter of little feet!

11. Pr
    Pretty good for sure, but not my top for the year. Still a few more days to go too!!

12. Buggar the beer, had deep fried pulled pork on a burger last night ... my god ...

13. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

If you had that on the menu at Harts I'd be there every day. That is, until my arteries clogged up and I dropped dead.

14. Harts Yard (no connection apart from supplying beers there) in Enmore is the spot ... the chilli fries almost killed me ...

15. CromDubh

CromDubh Aficionado (135) Australia May 17, 2009

Just had a bottle of Rapunzel, which I found exceptional - best Mountain Goat limited release by far. Had a number of this style, including in Belgium, and holds its own.
    Mungus, which Woolies has Figjam ?

16. mountain goat triple hightail - didnt excite me
    murrays icon - not as good as i remembered
    hop zombie - nuff said
    now to find an imperial stout

17. mungus

mungus Savant (270) Australia Oct 19, 2010

I've seen it at Hibiscus and Karama so far

Also a big fan of Rapunzel. Seedy Goat and Before The Dawn popped up at Parap a couple weeks back too - both were also excellent

18. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Topically, I am drinking some Mountain Goat Triple Hightail. Local Woolies didn't have the price in the database so I stood around for 10 mins while they called a rep and then they gave me a free Wild Turkey muscle shirt as compensation for having to wait. That's my Christmas shopping done. I don't like the beer much. Like drinking hoppy treacle.

Had a VB last night at Pancake Manor. First one in about 8 years. New recipe is fantastic.

19. Still on the cheap German side of things - finishing up a case of Radeberger and getting into a case of Bitburger.

Haven't seen Konig floating around - have Coles stopped importing it?

20. MordeciaFunk

When I get home, a growler of Nogne-O Citrus Hystrix in my fancy new Orval glass. I had some on Thursday but the lime in it put me off. I don't know whether it was the beer or me. Only one way to find out. Drink a litre of it.

21. Lukie

I have a couple of squealers of Rodenbach Grand Cru. Sold out of a keg in like an hour.

22. MordeciaFunk

Save me some. Also, where's my chilli sauce!

23. Parrotshake

Punch & Judy and Hop Hog in the afternoon followed with a little SN Narwhal and Mikkeller Black Buffalo with a side of 16yo Lagavulin. First spot of booze post-medication and imbibed with the requisite gusto. Also it was only 2 weeks, which is a worry.

trumpy likes this.
  24. plenty of different beers this weekend but a stand out last night was the Duvel Tripel Hop, wow what a beer!!!!

i need more!!!

Lukie likes this.
  25. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Savant (405) Florida Nov 16, 2005

What came first? The Pig or the Whistle?

26. danieelol

Recent updates from my drinking schedule:

Croucher is a good brewery
    Moor is a good brewery
    The Quiet American still sucks
    Gueuze is addictive

Parrotshake likes this.
  27. Parrotshake

Fine bunch of observations, daniel. I had the Croucher Galaxy IPA the other day and enjoyed that much I have the rest of their output. And I had Moor Hoppiness for the second time the same session and boy howdy that is a good IPA, to the point you figure more people would be talking about it.

Tonight I have been mostly drinking Oettinger Pils and some homemade vodka someone gave me for Xmas. My flatmate and I are both broke and getting drunk cheap watching Pantera DVDs. Kind of a retro thing.

28. danieelol

Agreed, Galaxy and Hoppiness are great American-style IPAs. Revival is very nice too.

29. Still hitting the Bitburger. Great session beer in the hot weather.

foles likes this.
  30. danieelol

Sam Adams Noble Pils followed by Wayward India Red Ale. Wanted to drink some higher ABV stuff tonight but I don't think the climate is particularly sympathetic

31. danieelol

and now Moon Dog Love Tap. Feels every bit of its 7.1% ABV. Not sure whether to do a DIPA, Porter, Christmas Ale or another Pilsner next. Too many options, and only one leads to prosperity.

Why did I have to start a session on the hottest day since the 19th century or something...

Edit: Oh yeah and the Love Tap tastes infected

32. Dropped into White Rabbit yesterday and enjoyed a one off white ale they'd brewed, was quite enjoyable.

Might go visit for another glass this weekend. At the moment, it's a Radeberger.

33. mixed bag tonight.

at sail & anchor - temple scarlet, temple saison, moon dog mustafa & keto re-porter
    at home - 3 ravens dark, invercargill smokin bishop, nevararven & narwhal

34. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Hit a Growler of HopDog Belgian Lawnmower last night. So much fruity Belgian yeast this year.

35. BlueBarry?

excellent indeed...... had last week..

36. Parrotshake

Impromptu Belgian tasting with the lady last night just for fun. Dupont Biere De Miel, Duvel Tripel Hop 2012, Westmalle Dubbel and Lindemans Kriek Cuvee Renee. Tasty, the lot of them. Feeling it pretty bad at work right now.

37. Nah, that was gone.

38. danieelol

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar. Sick beer, like a good West Coast DIPA. Next will be MoonDog Dasher's Envy or Amager Rugporter.

39. Nearly finished the Radeberger, case of Bitburger waiting patiently.

40. MordeciaFunk

Is it just me or is the keto re-porter not as tobacco-y as the last batch?

Anyhoo, yesterday was Temple Midnight. I'm starting to be turned around on my lack of love for Black IPAs. I really enjoy this one. The Vale Dark I had was equally delicious. Keto was a a bit disappointing.

It was also at this point I discovered that over the last 24hrs all I had drunk was black liquids. Dark beers, coffee and coke.

While I'm here: Posting integrity notification: I stop working for ALH (Woolies) on Sunday and start working for Feral next week. Defending Hop Hog should be much easier then defending Dry Dock.

foles, Parrotshake and mungus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.