1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Tonight after work will be some (bottled) Hop Hog and then some Hendricks gin w/ cucumber. I found a full bottle whilst cleaning my bedroom (and $50!). Please don't judge me on the fact I have full bottles of gin lying around my bedroom. It's much less embarrassing then the empty bottles of whisky I guess...

2. I don't judge you - it's a very decent gin!

3. MordeciaFunk

Quality has never been an issue, I've just been recently informed that quantity is an issue. Although as Stalin once said, 'Quantity has it's very own quality.'.

Anyway, today will be water until 6pm and then over priced domestic swill at whichever Beaufort Street wank-fest my friend takes me to. And yes, I understand the hypocrisy of me describing something else as a 'wank-fest'.

4. My Golden Ale for me ... whats left of the keg after the Festival ...

5. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (535) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Nail Ale - very, very ordinary

The Convict - much better than I expected. I thought it was going to be a piece of crap, it's quite nice.

6. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (435) Australia Dec 19, 2010

Heading down to the South West Beerfest in Margaret River tomorrow.

12 local breweries to check out. woohoo!

anyone else going?

7. MordeciaFunk

I was surprised by The Convict too. I think Gage actually do good beers for their seasonals.

Last night I had Black Giraffe Coffee Lager. It was adequate. It was a lager and it tasted like coffee. Can't complain I guess. Although after 4 bottles it did cause me to actually answer the phone when my ex rang. For that I hold it entirely responsible and so drop it from a 3/5 to a 2/5.

8. spicelab

spicelab Savant (435) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Tonight so far:
    - Scarlet Sour, which I thought much more of than the first time I tried it,
    - Brewfist 2Late IIPA, which was drainpour awful. What is it about Italians and their inability (to date) to brew good IPAs?

9. MordeciaFunk

Transport issues would be to blame for a lot of it. At the Sail we didn't end up paying for half of the first shipment we got due to the poor condition of the kegs we received. I've been assured they're working through the issues though. Lukie, what's the condition of stuff like when you get the bottles in store? Good, bad, indiff.?

Saying that though, you are correct, I havent had a good IPA from them either. Maybe we can have racial/national stereotypes in brewing too?

10. danieelol

I have come to the conclusion that Italian brewers in general just aren't that great

11. danieelol

Also if I didn't have a coldy sort of thing tonight I would be throwing back Hopworks IPA, Amoor and maybe a Rauchbier

12. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Most of the stuff has held up well. I think in the BrewFists regard, it might be they are a crap brewery.

13. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I have to disagree. Some of the Italian stuff I had in Europe was phenominal.

14. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Count me in on the pleasantly surprised at The Convict bandwagon. Had it the other night lateish in a tasting and it's a bit of a blur but I remember digging it and will get some more. Had a couple Rayon Vert earlier which I still like a whole lot, as well as Moor Hoppiness and Smokey Horyzon (they could have come up with a better name for that one) and an Evil Twin Soft DK which is just great but I probably won't drink many more at $17.50/500ml.

15. cracked a bottle of anchorage the tide and its takers tonight and everything else i drank was forgotten

16. danieelol

good?

17. MordeciaFunk

I had a Black Marlin Porter last night. Delish as always. Reading the bottle (those night classes are working) I noticed they suggest combining the Big Eye and The Black Marlin. I'm guessing they mean a 50/50 ratio, but has anyone tried this? Thoughts? Or do I have to go boldly where no Australian BA has gone before (Star Trek was on while I was drinking)?

18. danieelol

Would taste like a Black IPA as Black Marlin's hoppy already

19. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

In Adelaide and was able to get a certain real hoppy beer from them. Real darned good beer

20. MordeciaFunk

That's what I thought, but would it be any good?

Someones being coy. What beer is it?

21. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

Mulber your misplace American bias grates like nails across a chalk board. Move on mate!

22. Very nice drop, another cracker from Anchorage

23. Hop Hog and Coopers Stout works a treat......

24. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

I love that beer. Archive got about 6 bottles in a while back and I bought one and then drank it and went back the next day and bought 3 more, at 28 bucks a pop even. Busted some out at a dinner party with roast quail on grilled peaches with a vanilla sauce and blew some minds. Fucking great beer. I need to get another Galaxy White IPA or two. Was really drunk when we opened that and I only remember thinking it smelled really fucking ripe and that I liked it a fair bit. On topic, too much wine and Old Rasputin.

25. mulder1010

26. mulder1010

maybe you should try more than just Feral?? That might cause you to have to stick your neck out and try something new.

Someones being coy. What beer is it?
    See the above logo. Really well made beer

27. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Can I have dibs on all the Hoppopotimus ever?

28. mulder1010

sure. Send you a growler of 44 as well. :)

29. MordeciaFunk

Done. I will do that tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it side by side the Black Marlin/Big Eye.

30. I do Black n' Tans all the time with my Porter and Pale, or when I have IPA. Yuengling (spelling) encourage it in Pennsylvania in bars and release a blended beer by the same name.

Isn't Newci Brown a mix of slops, I mean out of spec pale and brown ale??

Sucking down our red ale, fresh out of the tank, as I type.

31. did you end up trying this?

Had the Mischief from the beermasons pack tonight, so damn goood!!!

I also scored an old bottle of Lost Abbey Carnevale in my pack, the aging had bought out the brett nicely.

32. trumpy

trumpy Aficionado (115) Australia Apr 21, 2008

having a lazy saturday with some Anchor Liberty ale, a few Sierra nevada Kellerweis, and a beer camp Oatmeal Stout after dinner.

33. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Kicking back some Red Hill BA Temptation. Nice beer.

34. MordeciaFunk

There may have been an accident. By which I mean the Coopers wasn't cold and so I managed to drink all of the Hop Hog while waiting for the Coopers to chill. I have so very little self control. :(

35. danieelol

Too cloudy/rainy to go anywhere

Waimea Hopcat (AmBer with brown sugar on top)
    Oakham Green Devil (pineapple and coconut juice)

36. danieelol

Nail Oatmeal Stout (possibly lacks the clout of an Imperial, but extremely solid. Farrrrrr better than the Pale)
    Hopworks IPA (canned American IPA, can't ask for much more except perhaps it being from Minnesota. Very good and big pine hit)

37. Stopped by BWS on the way home to grab a 4 pack of Vale IPA, whilst there i noticed some new Monteiths so i grabbed them. Bloke at the counter asked if i had tried the Montieths IPA and informed me that i would be impressed. All i can say i is i feel sorry for him if this beer impressed him, whilst it wasnt terrible it was no way an IPA and hardly even a pale ale. Also got a selection of 'craft beer' coasters spruiking the woolies craft range, didnt realise that McClarewn had sold out, still a nice IPA i reckon.

Hopefully hitting up Mash over the weekend for the new BIPA.

38. danieelol

I also had Moor Amoor and half a bottle of Hoppopotamus. I went to sleep for a while at that point.

39. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (620) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Last night for me was a Ten Pin Porter and Left Hand Milk Stout with both holding up really well. Had a Old Antonia when i got home, bit old, but a nice gift and pick from a friend from rowing. Tonight was Sorachi Ace from Brooklyn. Garrett has restored my faith in the hop variety! Also had a Fancy Pants from Mountain Goat which was solid.

Parrotshake and danieelol like this.
  40. HaandBryggeriet Blabic.

Cracking sour beer, really impressed with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.