1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What's wetting the whistle P.2

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by danieelol, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Advocate (580) Australia Aug 29, 2008

I had a coopers stout. Can I copy and past that for the next 8 months???:)

CarlisleWineBin and MrKennedy like this.
  2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (540) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Hoppopotamus, Mikkeller Red White Christmas, Seven Sheds Kentish, Gouden Carolus Easter Beer (too sweet, licoricey, strong and generally Belgian), MG/M Pepperberry Black IPA

Shared with some slightly less into beer people. Were all well received bar the Gouden Carolus which I also thought wasn't great.

3. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

That's pretty much how I feel about it. That beer is very nice but I haven't really enjoyed anything Sorachi Ace features in. Some weird hints of camphor and margarine going on. Drinking Coopers Stout as well as some of you. Still like it.

MrKennedy likes this.
  4. danieelol

Yer that is easily the best Sorachi Ace beer I've had. So tasty. Anchorage Tide and Its Takers is a close second.

5. danieelol

Ok tonight I'm gonna be nailing out some reviews for the first time in a while.

First up is Boneyard Golden Ale. Been meaning to try this for a while. It disappoints a little, but it could be the age.

In the fridge are Temple Scarlet Sour and Boneyard Grapefruit IPA. Been looking forward to those two for a while now.

In the distant future I am flirting with the prospect of a George! Cognac. Or I could go a sour. Those De Ranke beers are looking mighty tasty, as is an Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen.

6. Good man!!! - good Aussie beers deserve some words..... Grapefruit IPA I was a smidge dissapointed with, but still Good Beer...

7. danieelol

Ok 3 down, that's my quota of Aussie reviews for a while...now onto the good shit

8. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Come on. The Grapefruit IPA was half decent and the Scarlet Sour, while not phenomenal, was drinkable.

My night consisted of some Aurora Borealis and then scotch, The Aurora is interesting. I like it but it is a bit iffy all at the same time.

9. danieelol

You should look at my reviews. Highest rating for Grapefruit IPA. Didn't treat the ladybeer too badly either.

Aurora Borealis is boozy as !^@#. All I can say is good stuff from an Aussie brewer. Am gonna sit on mine for a while though.

10. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Aurora Borealis was not brewed by Ben, it was brewed by Nogne-O minus Kjetel.

Aurora Australis was.

dgilks likes this.
  11. danieelol

And I look forward to the opportunity to purchase it

12. danieelol

4.33 is a bit iffy?

13. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Yeah, I struggled with that. Objectively, it is good and deserving of the 4.33. Subjectively, I felt like a few bits didn't quite fit with what I want out of a beer. I try not to penalise beers because of subjective failings based on my preferences.

14. danieelol

How does it compare to a Cognac George!?

15. Lukie

That is still up in the air at the moment. Some is being air freighted over for the AIBA's.

16. danieelol

Wasn't a dis. Just curious really. I see judging from the ratings that Norwegians don't seem to have access to the Nogne Ø version of Aurora Borealis either.

My how far Aus has come in the last few years. Now we're actually comparable to a number of US States in terms of our beer distribution. Once Feral brews a Lambic with Blueberries, Riverside brew an Imperial Stout with Mexican style spices and Murrays brew a(nother) Barrel-Aged Belgian Style Barleywine we might even get close to the top.

Lukie likes this.
  17. Lukie

Who needs Feral blueberry lambic when you can have some dry dock through a blueberry randal.

18. danieelol

That prospect sounds so enticing that I just had another look for mining jobs on SEEK

Lukie and CarlisleWineBin like this.
  19. growler and squealer night tonight,

Mountain Goat Before the Dawn - not as hoppy as i remembered but still a great BIPA
    Rogue Old Crustacean - decent enough but yet again i dont get the hype with Rogue

20. Me? I am so excited I'm flying straight to Perth tomorrow.....

Lukie likes this.
  21. spicelab

spicelab Savant (440) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Shit you get around Barney! What's your secret?

22. spicelab

Tonight starting with Alpha Pale Ale - tasting great.

Afterwards tossing up between HH Phoenix, Mamouche or 3F Oude Gueuze.

23. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (630) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Tossing up which to have, or the order?

24. spicelab

Was the former, but inexplicably it's become the latter.

3F gueuze magnifique.

MrKennedy likes this.
  25. Haha! - spend money..... :D and lots of it....

no - in this case, my 17 year old son, after a hideous injury-plagued non-season of athletics, scored a bronze at NSW Youth Athletics champs in the 200m, a real rabbit-out-of-the-hat performance, so we are off to Nationals in Perth this week, ...... and hopefully some of the Perth institutions we all know and love.

26. and On Topic, Hello My Name is Beastie.

Pass...

27. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

So, I guess the real question is: How many peptides...? :)

28. ah-ha!!!.. the heygeebee household is a round ball household, so in this instance, nil :p

did i just type in the third person again?

29. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Armand and Tommy = Amazing. I've had two bottles this week and all I can think about is more.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace. After Mr K's post I tried it. I agree with everything he says.

Slightly off topic: 2 nights ago I found a 1983 bottle of port. It was in celebration of the ship HMAS Stuart. It was f__king amazing. So raisin-y and wonderful. It's sad drinking things you know you will never ever see again.

Lukie likes this.
  30. danieelol

Have had all these before but Hoppopotamus, Tuatara Waimea Hopcat, Hopworks Organic IPA

Probably would rate them in roughly descending order too. Hopworks didn't seem as great as the first time I had it, but I might have killed my palate already.

They all went great with Thai food!

31. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

How the hell did I forget about that? I just posted about how much I like that Anchorage beer. I also drank an Armand & Tommy a bit earlier. Good and funky, I really like it. Now some Moon Dog Love Tap which I picked up 6 of pretty cheap. Another beer of theirs I don't like.

danieelol likes this.
  32. Lukie

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is absurdly good.

33. Rumour has it we did a bottle batch of Pale at Brewpack, could be in my possession ...

34. danieelol

I'm drinking Friendship Brew right now and I disagree with all the haters. Saison crossed with Winter Warmer...can't object.

I also tried Fancy Pants tonight for the first time. Man that is a tasty beer. Fantastic. Easily the best Mountain Goat outside of Red Rackham's Thorny Goat.

The other casualties of the night were too numerous to list.

35. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (435) Australia Dec 19, 2010

Celebrated a (rare for Perth in March) sub 20 degree minimum last night with a Narwhal and a De Molen Rasputin last night along with a Toblerone. The Narwhal needed another year in the cupboard I think, but the Rasputin was a smooth raisiny delight after a couple of years aging. Toblerones always kick arse.

36. spicelab

Started with Charmer India Red. Lovely piece of work. Followed up with my last Hoppapotamus, which is not quite the beer it was a month ago but still doing well.

Now on to Hargreaves Hill RIS (2011 I think, not the most recent). Soooooo good.

37. danieelol

I also had Wayward IR and their Keller Bier a few nights ago. Good stuff, particularly the India Red. Have also depleted my Hopopotamus, and I never got around to reviewing it :(

Tonight I'm doing Punch and Judy and Mamouche. I'm contemplating the Bridge Rd India Saison.

38. danieelol

Mmmmmmm...Nogne O India Saison, look at the label...only 14 months old. It seems I got last year's vintage. Apparently Nogne O thinks a beer with "India" in the title can age for five years though so good for them.

Caveat Emptor.

Edit: Well it seems I'm not the only one. Apologies for my bitching.

39. Lukie

Since this is a catch-all thread. Does anyone know what the hell has happened to Kooinda? Everything I have had from them in the past six months has either had major yeast issues (Kooinda Black is murky brown and tastes and smells like onions) or has been infected.

They were doing some great stuff start of last year.

40. danieelol

Will try and grab some from my local when I get around to it to see if my experiences match up to yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.