1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What's wetting the whistle?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by hopswiller, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simple thread to see what people are enjoying.

This Friday wind down has been supported by:
    LCPA - on the way home, local has pints back on for $7.50
    Black Market IPA - finished off the last of my growler
    Black Pepperberry IPA - yummo!!!!
    Left Hand Imperial Stout

2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Cleaned out my beer cellar thursday, and drank a Lost Abbey Red Barn Ale.

Tonight is Gwynt, cause Gwynt is delicious. Had a shit bulmers on tap at a bar for dinner, because it was better then the horrible beer selection. Perth bars suck.

3. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (535) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Last night I sampled such delights as James Squires Golden Ale, James Squires Amber Ale, Tooheys Old, Coopers Sparkling and most likely some shit lagers also.

heygeebee likes this.
  4. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Yesterday I started off with a Schenkerla Marzen, had a North Coast PranQster, then Rogue Chatoe Single Malt, then a few Murray's Big Wednesdays and then drank Old Rasputin until I couldn't drink anymore. All on tap too.

We dont all suck Lukie. Be careful with generalisations.

5. MordeciaFunk

And the cold hard reason beer lists aren't what we would all like them to be....

A 30ltr keg of Nogne-o #500 costs (roughly) $380 ex gst. That equates to (roughly) $8 cost price a pint. I havent bought the glassware, gas to push it up a line or found a girl to pour it and convince customers to drink it because its good yet. I would have to charge (roughly) $16 a pint to even justify opening the doors, let alone actually make money to feed myself. A 50ltr keg of Carlton Draught would cost me (roughly) $170 ex gst. That's (roughly) $2 a pint.

Which one makes more sense to you?

EDIT: Sorry for post hijacking Mr Hopswiller.

6. What a gem - I have to say I relate to this oh so well.... have one JS, can't stomach another, try something else, then give up and step down the Tap List of Mediocrity....

Moi? Hahn Super Dry then and Old at RSL, then dinner @ home then a LC Quiet American, (oops) and to finish off a 2010 Coopers Vintage which I opened and drank too cold and which hadn't aged well.....

here's to tonight....

7. danieelol

I don't mind Golden Ale in a pinch tbh. I find the Amber Ale obnoxiously malty though. Which, I suppose, is the point.

8. Lukie

Everyone pub in Perth should at least have Little Creatures Pale Ale on tap. Not having that on tap is just pure ignorance.

But, this discussion is pointless, since we both understand this.

9. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Had a good range of homebrew at a Canberra Brewers event today and following it up with a Gypsy and the Goat.

10. Lukie

I'm going to drink a Tilquin Gueuze and a Girardin Gueuze tonight. I have 2 of each, so will drink both and save 1 bottle of each, since they aren't too hard to come by if I am willing to pay the money.

But my Armand Gueuze' won't be touched!

MrKennedy likes this.
  11. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

just had a HopDog Alluvial Peach thanks to danieelol. Very nice and very easy going down.

12. hmmm, tonight a Moa Pale Ale, just another APA imho, then a Bitburger - Ok ish, then a shared Prickly Moses Reserve de Otway (SENSATIONAL - did I say it loud enough?)
    Lastly a Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. Just another RIS.
    Cheers....

13. Lukie

Tilquin Oude Gueuze. Maaaannnn.... I love my life.

14. Lukie

Girardin Gueuze. Amazing. Tilquin is better, but god damn this is sooo good too.

I give up on all other beer. Gueuze, and sours for life.

15. Rock Bottom 30 day aged in a rum barrel 9% IPA on Handpull ...

16. ALEBOY

ALEBOY Savant (315) Australia May 31, 2003

Been a couple of homebrews (Saison) for me this weekend so far. Might crack a bottle of "Babbs Collab Wild Ale" tonight though.... 12.5% Flemish red style :)

17. MordeciaFunk

Today after work will be a Barbar Honey Blonde goblet, a North Coast Red Seal Ale (made from 100% real seals!) pint and then a couple of Mikk. 1000IBU pints to kill my taste buds before I have to make the faustian choice of either Pure Blonde or TEDs at the pub I'm meeting a friend at.

18. dgilks

Just for Pat I had a Wig & Pen Venom. Tossing up between a London Porter or a Ballyragget Red to finish.

19. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (620) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Last night was beers with the old man, drinking Moylan's Spiced Winter Lager, Wychwood King Goblin, Mole's Mole Catcher and finished off on a Beer Here Malus Pater.

20. dgilks

Went with the Porter BTW. :D And yes, I'm an asshole.

Owen, how was the Moylan's?

21. MrKennedy

Moylan's was ok, not their best beer, but far from their worst. Ok spiced beer, plenty of cinnamon. Coriander seemed to have faded.

22. Mash Brewing Extra Special Bitter
    Mornington Imperial IPA
    Mikkeller Big Worse

23. danieelol

Last night I again enjoyed the finest James Squires known to man in conjunction with Coopers Dark, Guinness and some whisky

24. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

A single Victory Prima Pils with my flatmate then off to work. Just bought half a dozen Rochefort 10s and I believe I'll crack one and eat a steak or two at 8am when I knock off.

25. danieelol

Looking forward to some Bigfoot tomorrow

26. MordeciaFunk

Tomorrow will be Mt Goat Steam with my breakfast. It goes very well with fruit salads. Then a few Guinness with my brother and then a couple of Old Rasputins while I hopefully get to see Man City shoot themselves in the foot. I have no great love for Man U. Just for the comedy value.

27. Disappointingly few beers at GABS - too many sours sampled first up followed by Argie BBQ gave me shocking heartburn and I left without trying dozens of promising beers. Idiot. But the Wig and Pen "This beer's not real craft" was very good and the Temple Smoked Weizen was excellent although not very smoked.

Other than that, Pilsner Urquell in cans. Whoever's bringing them in, more please. Lots.

And yes, Prickly Moses Reserve de Otway is one of those "where did _that_ come from?" beers.

28. MrKennedy

Last night was Redoak Spicy Belgian Wit, Redoak Blackberry Hefeweizen, Young Henry's Real Ale, Schwartz Belgian Strong Dark Ale and ended proceedings with a Lairds Apple Brandy.

29. Lukie

Anyone had Watermelon Warhead yet? Was it the best thing ever? I bet it was.

30. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

I had it yesterday and it was my pick of GABS. Absolutely awesome and literally like a watermelon warhead. So easy drinking as well with excellent sourness.

31. dgilks

Agree with that. Feral Watermelon Warhead was great. Moon Dog Mr Miffistoffelees was also very good. Epic Zythos was a nice IPA and the the 2 Brothers/Diamond Knot Barleywine was stunning. The Renaissance Stonecutter Oak was delicious and the Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta was interesting and enjoyable.

The Liberty Simcoe was a disappointment with a particularly harsh bitterness as was the Wig & Pen sour (it was very good but not as good as their other sours).

32. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

It's like we have the exact same tastebuds. My thoughts exactly re all those beers and which ones I would take about. Strangely the Gunnamatta tasted of more rose than the other rose beer they had there!

33. very little on the weekend at all. Hop Hog was a nice find in the fridge - not had for a while.

'Highlight' was a Fullers Golden Pride... I swear it was Coopers Vintage re-bottled and re-labelled, but there you go.

34. danieelol

Last night I had Bigfoot (very very nice, I recommend you all purchase cases, especially at the ridiculously good price point they're coming in at).

I also had a Lou Pepe Framboise '08 (enjoyable and drinkable but I think it will improve with age)

and an Odin's Tipple (combination of fruity fusels and loads of chocolate malt, almost like drinking a straight spirit. Very interesting)

35. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

The way the whole thing finished up was much more satisfying, right? Man U already cracking the champers up the road and then 2 goals in the last minute. Not that I've avidly followed football in years or anything, but pretty exciting. History in the making, and junk.

Drinking a Westmalle Tripel right now, a little after dinner treat and the first one I've had in about 3 years. I've kinda stocked up on trappist/Belgian beers right now because, with the exception of Orval, I haven't picked any up in a while and I'm burned out on just about everything else I can buy in a bottle shop around here.This is delicious.

36. After work Fat Yaks
    Brewfist Spaceman IPA
    O for Awesome, my last bottle must get more....
    Big Worse, why is I always fall for the big beers?

Of to Feral tomorrow for lunch at beer paradise

Lukie likes this.
  37. Lukie

They should be/have tapped Watermelon Warhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm heading down next sunday! Yay!

38. Just loaded up on Palate Wrecker, GF Imperial IPA, Leafer Madness and that collaboration from NZ.

39. Watermelon Warhead was on and is a winner!!!!
    Was disappointed they didn't have any Boris but made up to the fact with plenty of Smoked Porter, Rust, BFH, Rye IPA and Razorback.

40. MordeciaFunk

Im just about to finish work and we've just tapped the Mikk. Frelser. That's me done for the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.