1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What's wetting the whistle?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by hopswiller, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danieelol

danieelol Member

Sorachi Ace was delicious. Alpha and Bravo were good too.
  2. Lukie

Lukie Member

It's not the easiest place to get into and out of. Most taxi drivers don't go out that way because there is nothing else there, and there is no bus service on a sunday. I still think that all of the breweries, wineries etc. need to organise a bus service to do a round trip from the Midland train station through the Swan Valley. The fact there isn't one just shows you how backwards the state is in terms of drinking and driving.

When we were last there, on closing time, there was a cop car sitting outside of Feral pulling people over as they left. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I have had to postpone my tickets for this saturday as I am full of the flu.
  3. dgilks

dgilks Member

For those within striking distance of Canberra, the Wig & Pen has tapped their remaining kegs of the beer they had at GABS, a Sour Blonde called "This Beer's Not Real Craft!" I take the name to be some sort of dig at David Hollyoak and, in any case, it tastes better than any Redoak beer. RIS is still available too.
  4. plastercasts

plastercasts Member

gotta get up to wig & pen. ive never been and heard so many good things about them, definately my next interstate beer trip just gotta pull me finger out and do it.
  5. scmorgan

scmorgan Member

Rocks IPA ... maybe 2 litres is not the best thing with a 6.15am mash-in ...
  6. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

You're right Scotty, you need to make it 3 litres.

When I get home, a 750ml bottle of Cigar City Winter Warmer and a 330ml bottle of Plead the 5th. Hopefully it is all that it's cracked up to be...
  7. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aficionado

I you like sweet barleywines, you will love the CCB beer. Way too sweet a beer. Plead the 5th is fine. BA plead the 5th is flat out a monster.
  8. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

I was a little put off when I saw 'High Gravity Beer' on the label.

Why can't they just say it's got a high ABV or a sh_t load of residule sugar in it?

I'm game for most things though, should be ok...
  9. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aficionado

Drank half and dumped the rest. Too much candied sugar. had my sugar fix for a week after that. CCB imperial stouts on the other hand are just flipping brilliant
  10. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aficionado

11. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

I know that's what it means.

That's why I'm annoyed they don't just say that.
  12. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Member

That Guava grove saison is pretty neat too. Only beer I've had of theirs, would be well interested in trying more.

On topic, I'm amusing myself with a side-by-side tasting of 2011 and 2012 Wild Thing. Both have their merits. Say, anyone try that Red Duck & Beer Here Ragnarok yet? I bought a bottle because Slowbeer ran out of the thing I wanted in the first place. Expecting train wreck.
  13. danieelol

danieelol Member

Really? To me the 2012 is a trainwreck. One train was carrying alcohol and the other was carrying an illicit cargo of plasticcy New Zealand hops, and both of them refused to slow down to let the other past. I think it needs at least 3 years before I open another one.
  14. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

Just got to work and had a taste of the Extraomnes Donker Coffee Imp. Stout.

Quite nice, I can see it being better served a bit warmer. Damn lack of individual temp. control for each beer!

Andrew, I have an enormous amount of stout to get through on Sunday. This, the Invercargill Red Hot Choc and then the Mash Koffee Stout. If we get through those I can then put on my precious Rasputin. Will you help me? Plus, are you at Feral on Sat?

Also, Lukie, are you feeling better? I need someone to try and steal my W/Melon W/Head on Saturday whilst I'm not looking.

Mr Parrotshake, I have an extra bottle of the Cigar City Winter Warmer, message me if you want it. The first one gave me diabetes, so I don't need the second one.

And lastly, Mr K, as you know I'm useless, but your package will be in the mail on Monday. I need to pick some things up over the weekend before I can send it.
  15. danieelol

danieelol Member

Brewdog Dogma and some apparently fresh Hop Hog. Good stuff.
  16. perthbelgianbeer

perthbelgianbeer Member

Brenden its good to see you are whoring yourself out to multiple BAs as usual : )

Im still on for sunday midday or just before. Will msg you. I havent been to the staley wanker in over 2 months - previous biggest gap between visits would be more like one week. So im looking forward to it

Im not currently deparching anything but i had a urthel hop it last nite and a 2009 unibroo don de dieu which was great, just starting to open cellared bottles after ~2 yrs in this craft caper
  17. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

KeTo Reporter Tobacco Porter.

Finally a drink that caters for me, now that smoking isn't allowed inside.

The cynic/cartoon fanboy in me hopes (not thinks) that this is some evil genius plot a la The Simpsons 'tomacco' plant episode...

All in all quite interesting. Once again too cold intially though. Damn my chillers! 'Chiswick! Fresh Chillers!'

Another dark beer we have to knock off on Sunday Andrew....
  18. scmorgan

scmorgan Member

Well, its not everyday you turn 29 again, with mash in at 6.10am this morning, I'm quitely enjoying a pint of handpumped Rocks IPA ... and its only 7.10am ...
  19. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

Croce Di Malto Magnus. It's meant to be a strong Belgian Ale. It's tastes like a strong Belgian ale. It didn't wow me, but I can't complain really.
  20. danieelol

danieelol Member

Finished off the Hop Hog, then Young's Double Chocolate Stout, now Southern Hemisphere Harvest. Hop Hog was a better IPA imo (and my reviews reflect this). Still drinkable.
  21. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

Only 5 more hours until Feral time!

Then I, along with Mr Dansmcd, Mr Hopswiller and many others, will be drinking all of the Feral range. Hurray!

P.S It just dawned on me (and I know I'm jeopardising my lift but...) Dan, does the 'smcd' stand for Sado-masochist, cross dresser? Or have I been hanging around the wrong circles for far too long?
  22. scmorgan

scmorgan Member

Soon to be Young Henrys Fresh 6 ...
  23. dgilks

dgilks Member

Had the Red Duck / Kissmeyer Hop Bach yesterday. What a mess that beer is.

Today is better. The Nogne O brewed India Saison. Slightly more delicate than the Bridge Road version and just a touch nicer. Maybe it is the slight amount of age on it that smoothed it outbut I like it more.
  24. spicelab

spicelab Member

de Cam Oude Gueuze, which was super solid, then an old RR Temptation from the depths of my cellar...infected...totally spewing.

Now on to my last Liberty C!tra, which has dulled somewhat since I bought it 2 months ago, but still a riot.
  25. scmorgan

scmorgan Member

Is that meant to be good, or bad?" Cleanest brewery I have ever been to ... with the dirtiest beer ... how does that happen?
  26. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Member

I liked the Red Duck/ Kiss beer quite a lot. The Red Duck/ Beer Here Ragnarok a fair bit less, although it was not a disaster area. I like Red Duck. Full of surprises, emphasis on character. Also enjoyed Murray's Heart of Darkness on tap for the first time at Healesville Hotel after skulking about some car parks for wife's work. One more: Forrest Untamed Turkey was a pretty good IPA.
  27. dgilks

dgilks Member

It was massively sweet and extremely thick on the palate. There were some decent hop flavours in there but they struggled to get to the fore due to the over use of thick, syrupy caramel malts. There was also some phenolic character which was off putting and shouldn't have been there. I'm not saying the brewery itself isn't clean, just that the beer isn't great. Dare I call it a waste of malt and hops?
  28. dgilks

dgilks Member

I used to really like Red Duck but I've moved on. I find most of their beers too sweet though those which should be sweeter are enjoyable (Golden Dragon, The Ox, etc.) I haven't liked their stuff as much recently particularly the IPA and Pale Ale and some newer stuff just hasnt hit the mark (White Garden).
  29. sinkas

sinkas Member

Got ma drink awn down at the Sail and anchor, loved mikkeler us alive, dould not stand the Troll sherry barleywine, or the donker coffee stout, hop hog was very good, stone beer from S&W very nice also
    ACME pale at norfolk was horrid, and bootleg black ipa delicious
  30. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Member

Yeah, there have been plenty of their beers I haven't liked much, White Garden amongst them. But it's the sense that they're off on a frolic of their own that I like: I don't think they are trying to make beers that people like me will like. They're just doing as they please. So I have a couple of beers of theirs sitting downstairs I have no idea about. Most other Australian brewers I think "if they're not too timid and don't stuff it up, I'll like this about this much", but a hopless imperial Egyptian bread beer? Could be disgusting, we'll see. A waiting adventure.

On topic: LCPA (lovely as ever), He'brew Manna IPA (pretty good, but made me think of the 4.8% Bridge Rd Stella), Temple Saison de Miel (a second try, again impressed).
  31. danieelol

danieelol Member

Oh I went to the Taphouse last night. They had sold out of American Dream and unfortunately the 4 Pines DIPA which I wanted to try, but I still managed to try a fair range of stuff. The place seems to have a classier menu and bottle list now but the taplist is still erratic (still listing beers they had sold out of yesterday).
  32. spicelab

spicelab Member

According to the Taphouse in their infinite experience and wisdom, they've landed three of the most "limited, rare and elusive" beers in this arm of the galaxy:

http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/elusive-limiteds-land-in-darlo.html

Not saying for a minute that the Taphouse are in the habit of talking themselves up or anything.
    MrKennedy likes this.
  33. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Member

Moo Brew: 2,500 bottles that don't sell out each year that I can order from the convenience of my telephone. That's definitely elusive, rare & limited:)

I guess its better than hearing about a special silent cinema screening of Bounce...
  34. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

They have 'Beerista's now?!? Wow. And I thought we were the beer wankers...
  35. scmorgan

scmorgan Member

The Beerista thing has been about since they opened ...
  36. dgilks

dgilks Member

Add to that the fact that the Hop Bach is interesting at best (my comments above cover most of what I would say) and the Wookiee IPA is just strange. As for the Tasmanian Oak Bomb, at least it is a well made beer, I just don't really care for that particular barrel treatment.

In any case, all three were available off the shelf at my local good beer store. Maybe limited, hardly elusive or rare and certainly not all that good.
  37. gulden

gulden Member

HaandBryggeriet Sundland Kreosot last night which was quite good. Have been having stouts lately and haven't had the more hop focused beers so it was nice to have a change.
  38. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Member

Fun: I learnt yesterday that The Norfolk in Fremantle has Rasputin on tap. This is where I will be tomorrow. So hopefully in 24hrs I can post an inane, poorly spelt message of how I've had many pints of it. Not 'whetting the whistle' per se, more of what will whet the whistle. Andrew feel free to join, this could be your chance to steal my keys to the pub... As also, the invitation to Mr's Lukie, Dansmcd, Hopswiller, Foles etc is there as well. If not, I will have the writings of Antony Beevor to tide me over, quite possibly the best modern day writer of history. Do yourself a favour and purchase his books. Stalingrad and Berlin are the two standouts. They go really well with stouts as well.

More on topic now, just had some Brew Fist X-Ray porter. I like it but the change in taste in only a week is remarkable. To my mind a lot less bitter and more chocolate sweetness coming through then before.

Business: Mr K and Mr Parrotshake, I havent had a day off this week to get to the posting office, but I have organised time tomorrow to do it. This time it will be done. Damn work and anything else that gets in my way! It has however given me more time to find 'extras' for your packs however, so silver lining and all that, I guess.
  39. perthbelgianbeer

perthbelgianbeer Member

1000ibu dampening the whistle - a good one to bring to friends house due to its limited sharing interest from others (a temptress donated to appease the masses)

Brenden i had old rasputin at norfolk last nite so tomorrow morning will be at your venue and the monk for their coconut stout. Good to see u advertising your competitor though
  40. deathevocation

deathevocation Member

Pretty easy tonight with Cascade Stout. Has taken the edge off after pulling up rusty due to too much Elijah Craig last night.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.