1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's wetting the whistle?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by hopswiller, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Temple/Weihenstephan Unifikator, Schlenkerla Eiche, Old Rasputin and 2012 Old Stock. Good pipe & cardigan beers, one and all. Nice night for it.
  2. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Last night I had a lot of Moon Dog Billy Ray Citrus and the second release of Black Lung, which was actually very good. Had to buy an additional six pack of each today. Also had Wookie IPA, another great beer. Tonight I had nothing.
  3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I have some of the Berliner-weisse sitting at home. I hope it is souring up more, as when it first came out is was so boring.
  4. danieelol

It definitely has funk. How potent it is really depends upon what you're comparing it to
  5. Rocks Pale in bottles ... soon to be followed by a Gov, Red, IPA and Porter ... in bottles ...
  6. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

Dogfish head 90 minute - beautifully flavoursome and balanced
    de dochter van de korenaar embrasse - full bodied and delicious belgian dark ale
    fullers 1845 - an old favourite
  7. danieelol

I had a lot of Black Lung v2 tonight. God that beer is good. And more Billy Ray Citrus. Between them those beers were just really satisfying. Really feel that Moon Dog is doing some good stuff now, watch out for the two Dogs on the Australian craft scene.
  8. Lukie

<_<

>_>

Lambic?
  9. danieelol

not as much then :)
  10. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Just had some Colonial Porter. I tried it a a couple of weeks ago and it still seemed a bit 'hot'. It's calmed down really nicely though. Well done Colonial.

Going to tap some Mash Belgian IPA tomorrow. It sounds v. interesting. It should be fun doing the tasting notes for that.

And when I finally finish, some Boogoop. Yum, yum. Only a half though. Damn road laws and having to take the safety of others into consideration.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone have any idea of how to match beer to horses? I have to organise a Melb. Cup thing. I guess having 19 brown ales and 1 white ale on tap isn't acceptable.
  11. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

first world problems you idiot. do not care about your Melbourne cup thing. talk about something relevant.
    MordeciaFunk likes this.
  12. MordeciaFunk

Sorry Waldorf.
  13. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

If it makes you feel better............Uinta Labrinth, Yakima Monster, Lou Pepe Kriek 2007, Alpine Nelson, Some cherry stout from Liberty, De Dollie reserva, Arctic rhino coffee porter and Temple beers tonight. Typical strange stuff in Sydney
  14. Sounds nigh on epic - especially for a tuesday!

Last night for me was some rochefort 8, rogue yellow snow and i tried the new punk ipa bottles after hearing about recipe change etc on this forum... I miss the old punk :)

Brenden - mash made a belgian ipa? Sounds worth popping in for
  15. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

wasnt the punk ipa rec ipe chage about 3-4 years ago?
  16. danieelol

nah the change (it changed recipe and went from 6% to 5.6% alcohol) was far more recent than that
  17. Lukie

It was when they first started to do cans, which was... 2 years ago, maybe?
  18. so, Lukie, that'd be before you were of drinking age?

:D
  19. Lukie

I wish I was that young :(
  20. MordeciaFunk

Lukie is timeless. He is actually the product of spontaneous fermentation from an experimental batch of Cantillion.

Every year he just becomes more sour.
    joecast likes this.
  21. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

so what exactly is wrong with the new IPA recipe, i think its fucking good
  22. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Its still good, but no longer unique. Just tastes like a decent american IPA. I remember if having a certain tropical/cold mountain breeze quality to the hopping, which I hadnt tasted anywhere else before.
  23. danieelol

It used to have some English? (grassy) tasting hops and a lot of bitterness. This one is more like a prototypical light American IPA.
  24. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I won a promotion today so a little celebrating is in order. Looking at a Brewdog Mr Squirrel, De Struise Tjeeses 2011 and a Norrebro La Granja.
  25. Have been really digging the Doctors Orders Plasma. Also quite fond of the Baladin Xyauyu 2007 Etichette Rame, Croucher Pilsner, Cantillon Kriek and a Tasmanian-peat-smoked homebrew. Currently imbibing the Domaine Dupont Bouche Fermier 2009 (not beer, but funky - does that count?)

Did anyone try the Birra del Borgo l'Equilibrista? I wanted to taste malt/hops but it just came across like a sparkling rose. Maybe just a hint of bitterness...
  26. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I don't know much about your line of work, but in mine we have to earn our promotions :D
    dgilks and MrKennedy like this.
  27. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

At the East Village Hotel in Balmain enjoying a 4 Pines Rye IPA & 4 Pines Independence Day DIPA. Didn't go much on the former, but the DIPA is nearly as good as I remember the first batch from July 4, a couple of years ago.
  28. dgilks

I'd would have said I earned it but given that my agency hasn't advertised much recently getting a promotion is as much about winning it as earning it. :cool: (Good luck with your job apps by the way).

On the beer side now, the La Granja was fine but unexceptional, Mr Squirrel was as weird as anything I've had and Tsjeeses is quite nice. A good night all around.
  29. MordeciaFunk

Thanks for clearing that up Mr Dgilks. For a minute there I thought you were celebrating winning a radio phone in promotion or something like that. I thought the choice of beers was a bit odd. Glad to see it's for your job.

On topic, nothing over the top or wacky, just some Hop Hog and Vale IPA. After they are gone I will be taking my life into my hands.

While cleaning my car out I found 3 bottles of Ballast Point Big Eye. I cannot for the life of me remember when or how I came about them, considering I havent bought any Big Eye for at least 2 months. I'm sure the aggitation, sunshine and aging will have done wonders for them. Still, I am curious to see the damage.
  30. dgilks

A little odd is right though it was what I had in the fridge when I got home. Your mention of Big Eye reminds me that I should probably go down to Dan's and pick up a 6-pack as I could do with some IPA.
  31. MordeciaFunk

Don't follow my aging technique, it's disastrous... My taste buds would have been better off had I given head to a syphilitic leper instead. I almost felt sorry for the beer as I was drinking it. Sorry Ballast Point.
  32. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

A few at Scratch earlier - Burgleigh Xmas Ale and Black Giraffe, Bacchus War & Peat (a 12.5% Islay barrel-aged RIS brewed just us the road from me - nice) and GF Rayon Vert, then some Amager Wookie IPA and Hitachino Espresso Stout at home.
  33. danieelol

I really want to hit up the East Village Hotel after Owen's endorsement

...and apparently Big Eye is in stock at Alexandria Dan Murphy's now so I better go buy some before it runs out again.
  34. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Saturday??
  35. danieelol

36. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Super duper Stella IPA from Seven Sheds. Fresh, tasty, and smelling fine.
  37. MordeciaFunk

Nothing exciting. Just Guinness and pizza at the Flying Sportsman. The real reason for this post though..... Happy Birthday Lukie.
  38. danieelol

happy birthday Lukie!
  39. Lukie, I don't know you, but as a fellow Lambic/Gueuze lover: happy birthday!
  40. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Surely such as occasion is worthy of its own thread... Ahh stuff it, happy birthday Lukie! Hope it's a sour one!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.