1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What's With Hop-Heavy Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldsmith, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Sirvis

Sirvis Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 29, 2012

Agreed! These have become my favorites since the beginning of the season. I will be sad when the winter brews are gone and my collection has dwindled :(
  2. And how! Looking at your and Kristen's recipe for a recreation of 1840 Truman's Export Stout I see the computed IBUs were over 170 ! That's pretty heavy hopping indeed.
    Let's Brew Wednesday - 1840 Truman Export Stout
  3. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Well put, and I can see how the earthy or citrusy notes in hops could be paired well with chocolate notes or such, but I have yet to try one that worked out. And yes, hops no doubt have a place in stouts, as with all beers. I recently had Boulevard's Dark Truth again, and was pleasantly surprised with the hops in it, notable and providing great balance, but by no means "hop forward".

Perhaps I was too strong with the word "offended". I like the question earlier, should hop forward stouts and porters be classified differently? I'm also curious to know how traditional hop forwardness is for stouts and porters, or is this a recent and/or American trend?

By all means, if there's someone out there to enjoy them, keep them on the market, but for the longest time I stuck to cream and oatmeal stouts to avoid personal disappointment. How about some delineation? I like a good dry stout now and then.
  4. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Anything over 40 ibu should be classified as a new style but I know some people like hops in thier stouts but I wish there was a IPstout or something like that since sadly some brewers don't list the IBUs and I end up disappointed with something that has alot of hops when I don't expect it. The best solution would be for all breweries to post the IBUs.
  5. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I've always loved hops just as much as the next guy, but I've never really been a fan of hoppy stouts, besides Yeti and Night Stalker. I mean I'll drink em no problem, but I prefer traditional stouts.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  6. Ah, yes, Storm King! Fresh, definitely the "hoppiest" stout I know. But with a few years on it, the hops fade out and it's pure bliss.
  7. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (100) Texas Dec 7, 2012

Even though it isn't a stout, Miller Lite is triple-hops brewed for flavor.
    TheGoldsmith and Kerrie like this.
  8. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

This dichotomy of sentences blew my mind.

If I understand correctly: stouts have high IBU's.....The balance results in you noticing hops?....
  9. Try Bluepoint Toxic Sludge or the new Mendocino Black IPA with orange peel. Both are really nicely balanced. Neither taste like grapefruit sprinkled with charcoal.
  10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I just had a fairly fresh bottle and it was more hoppy than I remember, but so pleasantly so that I find it hard to believe that people would complain.
  11. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Advocate (515) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012

FFF Alpha Klaus, mmmmmm hops and chocolate
  12. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Let it age if it's too hoppy....or don't buy it. There are plenty of stouts that aren't doing the "hoppy" thing. No need to be offended. It's just another interpretation of a stout and another craft beer experimentation.
  13. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (425) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

My tastes also prefer milder hopping in my stouts/porters, but I don't begrudge those the brewers that want to create hoppier versions. Obviously there is a market for them. My only complaint is that the apart from the newly minted "black IPA or Cascadian IPA" category it's sometimes hard to tell from a beer's name or style just how hoppy it's going to be. For example, "Russian Imperial Stout" can be anything from Storm King (very hoppy) to Old Rasputin (malty). For that reason when I buy stouts/porters I tend to fall back on the ones I know I like, instead of trying new ones.
  14. I thought Old Raspy was hop-heavy when I had it.
    tectactoe likes this.
  15. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

not a big fan of the hoppier stouts (see Storm King) but love me some big roasty black ipas or whatever you want to call it (see Stone 15)

on another note, looove Founders IS - it just doesnt taste like it's super hoppy
  16. Well Founders Imperial Stout is 90 IBU and to me, it is heaven in a glass. And as one of the highest rated, widely available RIS, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
  17. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

ever try Troegs Flying Mouflan?
  18. Not a stout by any means, but with even just a few months of age on it, it's so good I don't give a fuck what it's classified as. :p
    baconman91 likes this.
  19. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

yeah, I know...me too - just an Allaround Hoppy, Roasty, Choc. dream..just balanced almost Perfectly. I saw this Article Heading..& its just the 1st thing that popped in my Head. - Haahaaa..quite good brew..Damn!
    RonfromJersey likes this.
  20. Damnit, now you've convinced me to buy more of it! Thanks for indirectly draining my wallet out, buddy! :mad:

:p
    baconman91 likes this.
  21. The FIS hop profile is nothing compared to what Night Stalker was. Put some FIS down for a year or so, then revisit. That beer is amazing. The hops will fade out immensely.
  22. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Brewers are capitalizing on the fact that hop forward styles are becoming increasingly popular among craft enthusiasts. That being said, I like my stouts to taste like stouts through and though; not "stout-IPA :confused: -stout-".
    Unless they tell me on the bottle that the stout they brewed will be hoppy I don't like that surprise.
  23. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Just goes to show that taste is totally subjective! I have never perceived hops in FIS. In fact, I purchased a few more four packs because I thought it was a near perfect embodiment of an imperial stout. If you have access to Alesmith try their Speedway Stout, if you haven't already. It'll hurt your wallet a bit but you'll forgive yourself upon tasting it.
  24. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

An imperial stout at 10% with 40 IBUs could be extremely sweet. IBU does not equal hop flavor or aroma and high IBUs are needed in stronger beers to balance the amount of malts used and a higher FG.
    Sirvis and ncaudle like this.
  25. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I prefer my hop bombs to be in pale format and my stouts to be a sort of roasty-toasty-choco-coffee bliss. If a brewer can pull it all together into something great then I'm down, but maybe not for a second glass.
  26. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

This. Some days, Storm King sounds like the perfect beer for me. Others, I'd rather go for exactly what the OP is describing. I'm thankful to have the options!
  27. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

More BJCP guideline quotes for you...

American Stout:
    Overall Impression: A hoppy, bitter, strongly roasted Foreign-style Stout (of the export variety).
    IBU: 35-75

Russian Imperial Stout:
    IBU: 50-90

IBUs, as you know, come from hops.
  28. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I had a hoppy Stone Smoked Porter the other day and didn't care for it too much. It wasn't bad, just nothing I'd buy again. As for the Storm King Stout, I don't recall that one being hoppy, so maybe it's been sitting on the shelf for a while? I liked that one far more. I guess I'm not a hoppy stout/porter fan.
  29. the hoppier, the happier
  30. mweso2000

mweso2000 Savant (325) Georgia Apr 10, 2010

Funny people are mentioning FIS as a real hoppy stout, but when I had one of these against a Sweetwater Happy Ending, I found the FIS to be more of your chocolate coffee stout and SW to be one of the hoppiest stouts I ever had. I loved the contrast though.
  31. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

I think some people see high IBU #s and think it must be really hoppy, but it's all in what/how/when the hops were utilized. a large FWH addition will give you high IBU #s but without having the big bitter taste one normally associates with big hop bitterness
    TheGoldsmith likes this.
  32. I drink stouts to get away from hops.

If I get a bottle of a hoppy stout, I'm throwing it on the ground.
    docnose likes this.
  33. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

I love Sweetwaters happy ending. I mean it's a dry hoped stout. How could you possibly go wrong with that?
  34. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Aficionado (205) Ohio Oct 21, 2008

Hands down Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast blew my mind away the first time I had it. And then the second time I had it. Such a hoppy flavor from such a dark beer. Best of both worlds IMHO
    Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  35. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I don't believe this to be true. Maybe RIS, but RIS doesn't even come close to defining stout beer as a whole.
  36. Gunderstorm

Gunderstorm Zealot (80) Illinois Feb 2, 2008

Night Stalker is a PERFECT example of what TheGoldsmith is talking about.
  37. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

38. Ricelikesbeer

I had this just the other night, and while I enjoyed it, I much prefer the regular beer geek breakfast or the few beer geek brunch versions I've had. Just thought the large amounts of finishing hops were a little goofy for the stout.
  39. Ricelikesbeer

Yes, and this interpretation is generally not meant to mean that brewers blast their stouts with hops, but that is certainly where the trend is going.
  40. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I do not generally like hoppy stouts, do not like Storm King at all. Someone left a few bottles at my place so I am letting them sit for a while before I try them to see if they improve.