1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What's with the bad reviews for Ichigo Highway?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by DovaliHops, Jan 27, 2013.

1. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Member

I'm on an eternal crusade to get them to rebrew Workman's Friend, as it was probably my favorite of the lineup. Gunga Galunga really grew on me when they dumped the last of the stash back in may. In fact, the bottles I had then were probably the best of all the pours I'd had up to that point. Then again, Im also the guy that wishes the Bruery would offer up more non BA stouts.
    Retsinis, jmarsh123 and GRG1313 like this.
  2. Kaz646

Kaz646 Member

Hmm I had this on tap a few months ago, but haven't cracked one of my bottles yet. I was pretty impressed with it, and i am a pretty big sour fan. I think i'm going to have to open a bottle this weekend and revisit this.
  3. GRG1313

GRG1313 Member

I was actually going to start a post on why more people were not praising this beer when I saw this thread. I am a complete wild ale, sour, gueuze and lambic fan. While this is not a stereotypic "sour" it is a great example of a most drinkable and well made fruit beer. Now, if you don't like strawberries you're not going to like it. But, the same holds true for any fruit beer/gueuze/lambic!

I think its very drinkable and very appealing - but, I like strawberries. I think it's a winner and I'm actually surprised that it's getting the criticism it is; but,...hey,... that's why there's different flavors - to each his/her own.

And, this may be an exception to my new "general rule" about drinking beer fresh. This could be the bottle you want to try aging. I suspect that some of the fruit forward character will fade as with all fruit beer and some of the sweet strawberry will fade and become more discreet.
  4. sstorck

sstorck Member

Clearly I missed out on the memo where beer drinkers everywhere were tasting band-aids to come up with a new reference point in describing beer.
  5. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Member

Clearly.

If you had, you know that it's a widely accepted term and descriptor (see bjcp) of undesireable phenolic tones / tastes in beer... also known as medicinal, plastic, adhesive or disinfectant. Don't knock other people's effort to describe a beers virtues and deficiencies, with detailed explanations, just because your unaware.
  6. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

come over and I can give you a GF treasure Chest. Last time I had it, it had an overwhelming band-aide taste...though the last time I cracked one was about 10-8 months ago
    mrkrispy and ehammond1 like this.
  7. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

Well then, welcome to the 20th century.
    mrkrispy likes this.
  8. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Kudos to you - it's hard for a BA to admit when they don't know something, especially when it's fairly common knowledge in the craft community.

I recommend you read Palmer's guide to Off Flavors in beer; it will help you to become a more skilled taster.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html
    OneBeertoRTA, Franch and Levitation like this.
  9. sil1

sil1 Member

It's. Nothing special
  10. KevSal

KevSal Member

i tried an upland strawberry from 2007 and it was one of the best sours ive ever had
    leschkie, afrokaze and jtmartino like this.
  11. sstorck

sstorck Member

Yup.
  12. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

That was the one at the last Grape and Grain tasting, right? Good God that beer was spectacular. Right up there with Sour in the Rye with Kumquats on firkin at last year's Initiation Party.
    leschkie and KevSal like this.
  13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

That was one of the highlights of that night.
  14. beerific

beerific Member

This thread got me to open a bottle of Ichigo tonight. I still get a strong plastic/bandaid phenolic note but it isn't as strong as I remembered and once you get past it the strawberry jam character is quite nice.
  15. Retsinis

Retsinis Member

It was a miss for me, and I'm a HS member, and buy lots of Bruery beers, since I love so many of them. Wasn't a fan of the flavor profile, and for the record I love strawberries :p but from my limited understand, strawberries can be a difficult fruit to work with, as in large quantities, the fruits acidic tartness can be overbearing, which for me, is mostly what I tasted from the two bottles I had bought and had. My palate was hoping for a touch more sweetness, and less phenolic acidic notes. All well, getting lots of Sour in the Rye will make up for it.
  16. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Member

Ya, I just opened one recently and was disappointed to find that not only did it not improve, it seemed to have remarkably degraded. It tasted even more boozy harshly tannic than I remembered.
  17. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Member

That's too bad. I opened my last bottle in July '11 and I remember it being worthwhile.